All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 08:50:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 18, 2017, 08:37:14 PM
Happened to be in the Citywest hotel today with work and it would have broke your heart to see those lads get on the bus to head home... fair play to the fans that stayed and tried to raise their spirits but it was like a morgue. They might make it back but you can only put your body and mind through the mill so many times

I honestly don't get this stuff.

I don't feel a bit sorry for the Mayo players, or their supporters. Lads in Ballagh I know were apparently in tears coming out, so was Rochford obviously. I've seen my county lose every single year, and 31 other counties besides Mayo fail every single championship as well. I had to watch for 60 plus minutes as my county played out a lost match in Croke Park against their biggest rivals, a week after nearly beating the same opponents. That was a much more crushing experience than losing to the best team in the sport by a single point. So what? This is the nature of support. You embrace both sides or you embrace none at all.

You suck it the fúck up and come back again next year. That's sport and getting lost in the emotion of Mayo's continual failure as if it isn't something nearly every other county experiences every year is the aspect of all this back-patting that gets lost. Whether you lose the AI by a point, or lose the first round of the Qualifiers by 20, you're still ending the year as a loser. Getting to a final qualifies you for no special treatment and Mayo would understand that better than most.

Last year, and this year, Mayo brought the losses on themselves. that's not me being hard-hearted, it's simply a fact. There's far more deserving counties than Mayo to break your heart over, because they have it better than all but a single county.

Andy Moran has now lost 6 All Ireland finals and won none.

They've lost 3 finals in 5 years by a single point to the same opposition.

They've been good enough to win it but just keep coming up that fraction short.

Your analogy is way off the mark, there is no comparison with Mayo in the past 7/8 years that I can think of.

Down made two finals in the 90s, they won them. Derry made 1 they won it, Donegal made 1 they won it. Armagh made 2 in the 00s, they won one, Tyrone made three in the 00s, they won three. Cork eventually got over the line in 2010 after a few final appearances. Kerry won many and lost many.

It's repeated agony and missing a shock win is not a valid comparison to winning your first AI in 60+ years after years of close calls.

dublin7

This thread is 58 pages long with ridiculous posts from Mayo fans yet none have mentioned Lee Keegan's disgraceful action throwing his GPS at Dean Rock. If that was a Dublin player there would be calls for a firing squad. Disgusting and deserves a lengthy ban.

The dubs have achieved a phenomenonal achievement of 3 in a row but for some fucked up reason itt all about Mayo losing and not the dubs

Gold

Andy Moran is the POTY by a country mile.

McCarthy has a good 2nd half in a final (2 great points and a good fetch) and suddenly (like MDMA the other year) there is a clamour for him to be POTY

Had Doherty buried the goal Moran put on a plate for him there would be no talk of McCarthy and Moran would be the only contender

Moran had close to a perfect game...missed one shot...everything else perfection...turning on a sixpence and laying on goal chances...he lies deep and is the fulcrum of everything they do up front...as clear a POTY as you could get. Cooper and McMahon and Mick Fitz were hanging out of him off the ball but he still was 1st to the ball

If he retires Mayo are fcuked...id be begging him back

And taking him off?! Madness....as a FF you get a rest and recover...its not like hes out running in the midfield...one more ball won, turn and shoot or lay off for a goal and Mayo may have won...theyd no one else capable when he went off

And Donie Vaughan.... :'(
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Hound

Quote from: dublin7 on September 18, 2017, 09:05:41 PM
This thread is 58 pages long with ridiculous posts from Mayo fans yet none have mentioned Lee Keegan's disgraceful action throwing his GPS at Dean Rock. If that was a Dublin player there would be calls for a firing squad. Disgusting and deserves a lengthy ban.

The dubs have achieved a phenomenonal achievement of 3 in a row but for some fucked up reason itt all about Mayo losing and not the dubs
Long bans for both Keegan and O'Gara please!

yellowcard

Quote from: Gold on September 18, 2017, 09:17:15 PM

McCarthy has a good 2nd half in a final (2 great points and a good fetch) and suddenly (like MDMA the other year) there is a clamour for him to be POTY

Had Doherty buried the goal Moran put on a plate for him there would be no talk of McCarthy and Moran would be the only contender

Moran had close to a perfect game...missed one shot...everything else perfection...turning on a sixpence and laying on goal chances...he lies deep and is the fulcrum of everything they do up front...as clear a POTY as you could get. Cooper and McMahon and Mick Fitz were hanging out of him off the ball but he still was 1st to the ball

If he retires Mayo are fcuked...id be begging him back

And taking him off?! Madness....as a FF you get a rest and recover...its not like hes out running in the midfield...one more ball won, turn and shoot or lay off for a goal and Mayo may have won...theyd no one else capable when he went off

And Donie Vaughan.... :'(

Moran was pointing to his hamstring shortly before he was subbed. He was clearly injured when they took him off.

Hound

I agree.

Mistake taking him off yesterday just because he hit a wide. He was still well able to show for the ball.

Johnny Cooper was Dublin's best player this year. Mannion and Rock top class too, and of course Con with his two awesome goals in semi and final has to be young player of the year.

QuoteMoran was pointing to his hamstring shortly before he was subbed. He was clearly injured when they took him off.

Didnt see that at the game or on the TV. He jogged off very comfortably. With Mayo 2 ahead.

Gold

Quote from: Hound on September 18, 2017, 09:25:46 PM

I agree.

Mistake taking him off yesterday just because he hit a wide. He was still well able to show for the ball.

Johnny Cooper was Dublin's best player this year. Mannion and Rock top class too, and of course Con with his two awesome goals in semi and final has to be young player of the year.

QuoteMoran was pointing to his hamstring shortly before he was subbed He was clearly injured when they took him off.

Didnt see that at the game or on the TV. He jogged off very comfortably. With Mayo 2 ahead.

Missed that too..was in the Canal end..just thought it was predetermined madness like James McCartan taking off McComisky in 2010
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Armamike

Happened to be in the Citywest hotel today with work and it would have broke your heart to see those lads get on the bus to head home... fair play to the fans that stayed and tried to raise their spirits but it was like a morgue. They might make it back but you can only put your body and mind through the mill so many times

I don't feel a bit sorry for the Mayo players, or their supporters. Lads in Ballagh I know were apparently in tears coming out, so was Rochford obviously. I've seen my county lose every single year, and 31 other counties besides Mayo fail every single championship as well. I had to watch for 60 plus minutes as my county played out a lost match in Croke Park against their biggest rivals, a week after nearly beating the same opponents. That was a much more crushing experience than losing to the best team in the sport by a single point. So what? This is the nature of support. You embrace both sides or you embrace none at all.

You suck it the fúck up and come back again next year. That's sport and getting lost in the emotion of Mayo's continual failure as if it isn't something nearly every other county experiences every year is the aspect of all this back-patting that gets lost. Whether you lose the AI by a point, or lose the first round of the Qualifiers by 20, you're still ending the year as a loser. Getting to a final qualifies you for no special treatment and Mayo would understand that better than most.

Last year, and this year, Mayo brought the losses on themselves. that's not me being hard-hearted, it's simply a fact. There's far more deserving counties than Mayo to break your heart over, because they have it better than all but a single county.

You clearly don't get it.  A bit of empathy in a person is no bad thing but i guess you can't show empathy here because you don't have the experience of your own county getting anywhere near the summit that Mayo have so nearly reached. Losing one all-Ireland final by a point would be galling enough but to lose the number Mayo have, is as near to hell as any football person would want.

I admire the guts and quality of this Mayo team. For the likes of Barrett and Moran to be on the losing end after their performances yesterday is hard to fathom.  The only crumb for Mayo folk is that when their day comes, and it will eventually, it will be all the sweeter for all the sickening defeats. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

Syferus

Quote from: shark on September 18, 2017, 08:57:02 PM

Losing a final is far more crushing than losing in an earlier round. I can't relate directly to Mayo as my county have never been in or close to an all-Ireland. But I do know that having lost 4 county senior finals as a player that it is significantly harder to take than being knocked out at an earlier stage. It's a pretty easy concept to understand.

Hardly, the manner is everything. At the end of the day if you make the final and lose by a point you can have little to complain about. It's a lot tougher to be a genuine supporter in Leitrim or Carlow or Cavan than Mayo.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Gold on September 18, 2017, 09:31:10 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 18, 2017, 09:25:46 PM

I agree.

QuoteMoran was pointing to his hamstring shortly before he was subbed He was clearly injured when they took him off.

Missed that too..was in the Canal end..just thought it was predetermined madness like James McCartan taking off McComisky in 2010
Andy got injured as he slid in for the ball he slipped to Doherty for the goal chance about 42min. Shortly after Keegans goal he made his way down to the bench holding his leg and indicating as if he needed to be subbed off. He went back up the field and was attended by physio for a couple of minutes while play was at the other end. He was in ice within seconds of coming off. Whatever about substitution in earlier games he was certainly unable to see out this game.

Hound

QuoteHardly, the manner is everything. At the end of the day if you make the final and lose by a point you can have little to complain about. It's a lot tougher to be a genuine supporter in Leitrim or Carlow or Cavan than Mayo.
As a Dublin fan I can safely say I far far more enjoyed 92-94 and the Pillar years (when we were playing great and having super wins, but always finding someone too good for us even when we thought this would be our year) that the years when we were being knocked out early by Micko's Kildare and Laois, Boylan's Meath and Paidi's Westmeath and were miles away from challenging for Sam.

The Mayo fans have had an amazing rollercoaster. Of course it would be better to have a Sam, but Mayo have had some amount of fantastic days over the last few years - more than almost every other county in either code.

Syferus

Quote from: Hound on September 18, 2017, 10:06:27 PM
As a Dublin fan I can safely say I far far more enjoyed 92-94 and the Pillar years (when we were playing great and having super wins, but always finding someone too good for us even when we thought this would be our year) that the years when we were being knocked out early by Micko's Kildare and Laois, Boylan's Meath and Paidi's Westmeath and were miles away from challenging for Sam.

The Mayo fans have had an amazing rollercoaster. Of course it would be better to have a Sam, but Mayo have had some amount of fantastic days over the last few years - more than almost every other county in either code.

Nice days out isn't how anyone judges sport.

Orchard park

Syferian you haven't answered yet my query  're your assertions regarding Dublin and "financial doping".

Would like yo see some facts presented

blanketattack

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro link=topic=28129.msg1737831#msg1737831
Andy Moran has now lost 6 All Ireland finals and won none.

Lost 5? Was injured In 2012

blanketattack

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 18, 2017, 06:24:41 PM
OShea had run out steam last 15mins but but Mayo didnt try him on the full forward line where he could drew fouls! Probably need a new midfielder and corner bck next year with S OShea and Higgins coming off the bench! Likely need to look at a playmaking center half with A OShea pushed into the full forward line! A Moran should be footballer of the year but only Jim McKeever even got one been in a team which lost the All Ireland! Moran been the best player this year!

Bernard Brogan 2010