All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

McCarthy got MOTM and POTY on The Sunday Game.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2017, 11:03:43 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on September 18, 2017, 10:57:12 AM
Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 17, 2017, 09:09:20 PM
Just home. Words can't begin to describe the disappointment I feel....not for myself or the the supporters but for that bunch of players. The temptation for some will be to start singling out individuals for blame for isolated incidents. I think that would be unfair. If we were to look at the commentary and forecasting over the past few months this Mayo team had no chance. Yet again they had this great (and I mean that sincerely) Dublin team on the ropes. Top marks to all, including management, for a great season. The inability to finish scoring opportunities is all that stood between the teams. We need to hold what we have and blood some new players over the FBD and League. If management remain on (and I see no reason why they wouldn't) they need to rest some experienced players, cut those from the panel that they obviously have no faith in and bring in a half dozen or more big athletic footballers. Don't write our obituary yet.

Mayo are far from finished. Was an absolute honour to have been at that game yesterday, a serious battle between 2 great teams. The speed and intensity was breathtaking . Some serious performances from both sides. McCarthy was a giant for the Dubs, he's had an incredible year. There's a good few wee things that just didn't go Mayo's way and yet there was still only the bare minimum between the teams. The 2 O'Shea's were excellent in the middle, Moran as usual this year was excellent. McLoughlin buzzing around and linking so much of the good play. Keegan, Boyle and Barrett in defence, christ you didn't even know if Kilkenny was on the field, and then Keegan pops up with the goal.
Met so many great Mayo folk yesterday, and this is another hammer blow for them and the team, but they will definitely be back next year. You can be so proud of those warriors yesterday.

Yes they are! No one can come back for the what will be an 8th year of this group together (getting to finals and semi-finals). There's only a trickle of new blood and the baggage is just to much at this stage.

Dublin is a MONSTER. Mayo bursting a gut yesterday hides how far they are ahead!

There is no All Ireland in this Mayo team simply because there is nobody remotely near Dublin on or off the pitch!
I don't know about others but I get tired listening and reading this bulls**t. What you wrote was exactly what was written last year "Nobody can come back for what will be their 7th year) and yet they did. Not alone did they come back but they were bigger, better and more organised than last year and if they want to they can do it again. Two points have seperated Mayo and Dublin over three games and we lost, not because we haven't got it in us to win but because better teams beat us. That doesn't have to be the way always and our day will come if we keep building.

Pessimists like you have nothing to answer except whinging and carping. There are half a dozen young players around the county who can and will add to this team. There are hundreds like you who have dumped on the chances of this team all year and no doubt will go on doing so but there are tens of thousands who BELIEVE as well as hope. Nobody is going to hand us a title and I don't want to see one won by dividing Dublin in three or ten in order to equalise population etc.

The reason Mayo people are so proud of this team is because they reflect the spirit of the county. We are used to hardship. We always knew that it was an uphill battle to make a living, raise a family, start or maintain a business in the west of Ireland (and we are not the only county with these problems). We have learned self-reliance and perseverance. We look up, we step forward and we regroup in adversity. Take your self-pity and your hard-done-byness and feck away off with yourself. You don't deserve to be called a Mayoman

Syferus

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 18, 2017, 03:02:51 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2017, 11:03:43 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on September 18, 2017, 10:57:12 AM
Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 17, 2017, 09:09:20 PM
Just home. Words can't begin to describe the disappointment I feel....not for myself or the the supporters but for that bunch of players. The temptation for some will be to start singling out individuals for blame for isolated incidents. I think that would be unfair. If we were to look at the commentary and forecasting over the past few months this Mayo team had no chance. Yet again they had this great (and I mean that sincerely) Dublin team on the ropes. Top marks to all, including management, for a great season. The inability to finish scoring opportunities is all that stood between the teams. We need to hold what we have and blood some new players over the FBD and League. If management remain on (and I see no reason why they wouldn't) they need to rest some experienced players, cut those from the panel that they obviously have no faith in and bring in a half dozen or more big athletic footballers. Don't write our obituary yet.

Mayo are far from finished. Was an absolute honour to have been at that game yesterday, a serious battle between 2 great teams. The speed and intensity was breathtaking . Some serious performances from both sides. McCarthy was a giant for the Dubs, he's had an incredible year. There's a good few wee things that just didn't go Mayo's way and yet there was still only the bare minimum between the teams. The 2 O'Shea's were excellent in the middle, Moran as usual this year was excellent. McLoughlin buzzing around and linking so much of the good play. Keegan, Boyle and Barrett in defence, christ you didn't even know if Kilkenny was on the field, and then Keegan pops up with the goal.
Met so many great Mayo folk yesterday, and this is another hammer blow for them and the team, but they will definitely be back next year. You can be so proud of those warriors yesterday.

Yes they are! No one can come back for the what will be an 8th year of this group together (getting to finals and semi-finals). There's only a trickle of new blood and the baggage is just to much at this stage.

Dublin is a MONSTER. Mayo bursting a gut yesterday hides how far they are ahead!

There is no All Ireland in this Mayo team simply because there is nobody remotely near Dublin on or off the pitch!
I don't know about others but I get tired listening and reading this bulls**t. What you wrote was exactly what was written last year "Nobody can come back for what will be their 7th year) and yet they did. Not alone did they come back but they were bigger, better and more organised than last year and if they want to they can do it again. Two points have seperated Mayo and Dublin over three games and we lost, not because we haven't got it in us to win but because better teams beat us. That doesn't have to be the way always and our day will come if we keep building.

Pessimists like you have nothing to answer except whinging and carping. There are half a dozen young players around the county who can and will add to this team. There are hundreds like you who have dumped on the chances of this team all year and no doubt will go on doing so but there are tens of thousands who BELIEVE as well as hope. Nobody is going to hand us a title and I don't want to see one won by dividing Dublin in three or ten in order to equalise population etc.

The reason Mayo people are so proud of this team is because they reflect the spirit of the county. We are used to hardship. We always knew that it was an uphill battle to make a living, raise a family, start or maintain a business in the west of Ireland (and we are not the only county with these problems). We have learned self-reliance and perseverance. We look up, we step forward and we regroup in adversity. Take your self-pity and your hard-done-byness and feck away off with yourself. You don't deserve to be called a Mayoman

Fr. Time is undefeated, but ok, believe what you want.

Signs of Mayo's regression have been very evident the last two seasons. They've rode their luck and used their experience to get to the last two finals in at least equal measure. I honestly think it's an indictment of the rest of the teams that no one has produced one capable of finishing them off because whatever about Dublin, Mayo are not an insurmountable prospect for the chasing pack.

Orchard park

would you also say then Syf that Dublin havwe regressed over the past 2 years as mayo have put it up to them better in 2016 and 2107 than prior to that.

Only wondering or do you ignore the performances on the pitch & scoreboard in your musings and just stick to the same hymnsheet

An Fhairche Abu

Mayo will be back again at the business end of the championship next year, what else are they going to do? I was ready to write them off after the Derry game but they could, and should, have won yesterday. Although COC was unable to nail the vital scoring chance from the free going into injury time I think that the first half was ultimately where the game was lost for Mayo given that they should have been about 5 points up going into the break having wiped Dublin in general play.

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on September 18, 2017, 03:45:50 PM
would you also say then Syf that Dublin havwe regressed over the past 2 years as mayo have put it up to them better in 2016 and 2107 than prior to that.

Only wondering or do you ignore the performances on the pitch scoreboard in your musings and just stick to the same hymnsheet

How can you say Dublin have regressed when they've hammered everyone but Mayo, and even then still beat Mayo every time they play them?

Unlike Mayo, Dublin have introduced many new players that are now key to their team, not least of which being Fenton and O'Callaghan, their team's PotYs each of the last two seasons. Mayo have added a borderline starter at corner back in Harrison in the same period, while even younger players like Durcan or DOC aren't good enough to be assured starters for them above lads well into their third decades.

Go on, tell me a team as long in the tooth as Mayo's key men are can be as set for the future as the Dublin corporate juggernaut is. I fecking dare you.

GalwayBayBoy

Mayo definitely have the capability to raise their game for the Dubs. They have enough athleticism to keep up with them in a one off game. However they are not blowing the other teams out of the water like the Dubs routinely are doing. Mayo lost two games and drew three this Summer. That probably represents a certain amount of slippage in itself. Moran and Boyle are struggling to last 70 minutes these days and that's not going to improve a year further on. Keith Higgins seems ageless but surely even he must begin to feel it in his legs eventually.

That said of the other counties who is realistically going to take a step up next year? Tyrone? Kildare? Galway? Roscommon? Monaghan? Armagh? I'd say there is major doubts about all of them for various reasons just yet.

Orchard park

no you insisted Mayo have regressed

as a counter debate I queried do you think Dublin have also re as they have more difficulty in beating them in 2016 and 2017...........

As an aside Harrison was an allstar last year so hardly a borderline starter

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Orchard park on September 18, 2017, 04:12:22 PM

as a counter debate I queried do you think Dublin have also re as they have more difficulty in beating them in 2016 and 2017...........

If Mayo switch Diarmuid O'Connor and Keegan to midfield and find 1/2 more mobile players they can definitely win it next year!!

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 18, 2017, 04:20:18 PM

If Mayo switch Diarmuid O'Connor and Keegan to midfield and find 1/2 more mobile players they can definitely win it next year!!
Definitely? Keegans best position is where he plays, best man marker in the game and outscores his marker more often than not. Diarmuid O'Connor didn't stand out at midfield at underage level.

Rossfan

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 18, 2017, 03:53:50 PM
Mayo will be back again at the business end of the championship next year, what else are they going to do? .
Retire, work/career, family, travel......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 18, 2017, 04:25:44 PM

Definitely? Keegans best position is where he plays, best man marker in the game and outscores his marker more often than not. Diarmuid O'Connor didn't stand out at midfield at underage level.

I believe so. Pushing Keegan further forward totally blew Kilkenny out of the water. The midfield role has changed so much, even since DOC was a minor. I feel his running game (similar to James McCarthy) is suitable.

Syferus

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 18, 2017, 04:50:39 PM

I believe so. Pushing Keegan further forward totally blew Kilkenny out of the water. The midfield role has changed so much, even since DOC was a minor. I feel his running game (similar to James McCarthy) is suitable.

Keegan is 5 foot 10, if that..

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 04:55:29 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 18, 2017, 04:50:39 PM

Keegan is 5 foot 10, if that..

And arguably the best footballer in the country!