We Need To Talk About Dropping The Knees Into Players On The Ground

Started by Taylor, June 26, 2017, 09:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mup

Quote from: Taylor on June 26, 2017, 10:33:08 AM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on June 26, 2017, 10:28:24 AM
Were you listening to the qualifier draw this morning?

They interviewed the man from CCCC to get his thoughts on Jim Gavin's claim that the CCCC are biased by what The Sunday Game picks up on.
The CCCC man said that "he totally refuted that, and that TSG has no bearing on what incidents the CCCC look at on the Monday".

So that's that cleared up then  :D

Didnt hear it Smokin.
Well sure if the CCCCCCCCCC said that it must be true  ;D

I expect there will be a ban coming for the incident on Saturday night then?

I expect not. There has been a precedent set as Connolly never received a ban for his. But you knew that already.

AZOffaly

Quote from: hardstation on June 26, 2017, 10:33:48 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 26, 2017, 10:31:51 AM
I laughed when he said that. It's fairly obvious that the Sunday Game has a completely unmerited place in the GAA disciplinary process. I just posted about the NFL commissioner being guided by public opinion, and I'd say a lot of the GAA high profile hearings are influenced by the soapbox the 3 stooges have.

That's the only thing that I feel sorry for Connolly about. He deserves his ban, he can't push a linesman, but if it was done in a National League division 3 or 4 game, it would never have seen the light of day in the circumstances. (Of course if the ref sent him off in a Div 3 game, he would get the proper suspension).
An Antrim man got ringed in a NFL Div 3 game.

Sure we know they are out to get Antrim!

brokencrossbar1

AZOffaly

Fuzzman

When there is a major incident in a live game, of course it is going to be discussed and highlighted by the pundits if they are doing their job right. Are they supposed to take the attitude "Oh we better not say too much on this until the CCCC look at it". Everyone is entitled to give their view and yes Spillane did seem to go OTT over DC's incident but the CCCC were obviously gonna look at it anyway.

I've not seen the incident in the Down match yet. Was it caught on camera on Saturday night?
It will look badly on them if they don't at least look at it.
They need to make public what procedures they have in place to deal with this.

I got the feeling yesterday than Gavin was going to use this as a motivational tool this year for the Dubs.
The siege mentality is often a powerful tool to get players to react to.

Yeah Ricey's one was a disgrace and it was even worse that he managed to get off on a technicality.

AZOffaly

That's true Fuzzman. I didn't mean to say that the Pundits wouldn't talk about incidents like that. I'm saying that the CCCC seem to be unduly influenced by what they say..

Taylor

No issue with TSG mentioning these incidents at all......the issue is the CCCCCCCC seem to go after players in many of the instances only after TSG have brought it up.

TSG didnt highlight this incident or call for retrospective bans - this is the chance for the CCCCC to show TSG have no influence

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 26, 2017, 10:43:35 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 26, 2017, 10:41:27 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQFCW1QeUcY

Worse one of these that I can remember. It's a dangerous and cowardly act.

Jaysus those two videos are poor.

Worst thing about that one is the referee saw it and issued a yellow even Marty was expecting straight red.
#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 26, 2017, 10:36:14 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 26, 2017, 10:24:12 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 26, 2017, 10:13:12 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 26, 2017, 09:58:00 AM
   https://youtu.be/mKBtelSQ0JI 

Knee drops are cowardly and can cause serious damage, the GAA will stick their heads in the sand.

What a filthy scumbucket! Should have got 2 years ban for that.

2 years? Should have been a life ban. A deliberate knee to the back of the head, which is the most vulnerable part of the head, could have caused the most serious of consequences. A spineless, scurrilous act. It's an awful pity Kinsella gave Connolly a yellow as it meant it couldn't be revisited.

In an incident like that though, surely the yellow card was for the 'afters'?
If the referee had seen the original incident its a red card all day long by anyone's interpretation.

Doesn't matter what the yellow was for unfortunately, with the award of a card the referee is adjudged to have dealt with the incident and it can't be revisited.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Fuzzman

Why don't they just change that rule that even if the ref does deal with it that the CCCC can still ask him to review it.
Surely we see it lots of times that the ref didn't get a great view of it at the time and if he watched a TV replay he might change his mind on the punishment.
We as fans often do this when we watch an incident we don't think it's too bad but when we see it from a different angle we change our mind such as the Philly McMahon eye gouge on Donaghy a few years ago.

Does anyone know do intercounty referees sit down with a panel after a game and watch the video again?
Would this not be a good way forward before submitting their match report?

Esmarelda

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 26, 2017, 11:19:21 AM
Why don't they just change that rule that even if the ref does deal with it that the CCCC can still ask him to review it.
Surely we see it lots of times that the ref didn't get a great view of it at the time and if he watched a TV replay he might change his mind on the punishment.
We as fans often do this when we watch an incident we don't think it's too bad but when we see it from a different angle we change our mind such as the Philly McMahon eye gouge on Donaghy a few years ago.

Does anyone know do intercounty referees sit down with a panel after a game and watch the video again?
Would this not be a good way forward before submitting their match report?
In this case, wouldn't the CCCC have to watch every game to make sure that all incidents were covered?

AZOffaly

The logistics of that might be difficult. I know an inter county ref who is an engineer out in Shannon. If he's reffing below in Cork or somewhere, when is he going to have time to meet with this committee and do a full review of the video? And if there's 10 or 12 matches on during the qualifiers timeframe, it would be difficult to go through them all in a timely manner.

stephenite

The referee can't be expected to see everything, however why couldn't there be an independent review conducted back at HQ and any issues can be handled retrospectively?

Would take a lot of pressure off match day officials to get everything right on the day. Any incidents can be corrected after the fact (e.g.) turn a yellow to a red

AZOffaly

Quote from: stephenite on June 26, 2017, 11:26:25 AM
The referee can't be expected to see everything, however why couldn't there be an independent review conducted back at HQ and any issues can be handled retrospectively?

Would take a lot of pressure off match day officials to get everything right on the day. Any incidents can be corrected after the fact (e.g.) turn a yellow to a red

I'd agree with this.

yellowcard

In Brollyland it's ok when Down do it, they are simply anarchist's and create chaos. If Tyrone had committed the same tackles and adopted the same defensive structure it would have been rotten, filthy negative tactic's that have no place in the modern game. I don't have any real issue with what Down done on Saturday evening, it's not that different to what most counties do in the modern game but it's the complete hypocrisy from Brolly.