Down v Monaghan - Saturday 24th June at 7pm

Started by interested, June 13, 2017, 08:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maigheo

Quote from: yellowcard on June 25, 2017, 03:09:20 PM
I remember watching Monaghan playing against Mayo in the first game of the League and they were far more fired up for that match than they were yesterday. They played that league match like it was an AI final and I remember thinking that they would struggle to maintain that level of intensity for a full season.
Thought the same thing myself.Tough to get the balance right when you want to stay in Div. 1 and also peak for the championship

Syferus

Quote from: yellowcard on June 25, 2017, 03:10:53 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2017, 02:54:01 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 25, 2017, 02:25:39 PM
Monaghans big players just didn't perform apart from Hughes at midfield. Wylie was uncharacteristically poor at full back and McManus and McCarron in particular were really poor up front. Maybe I'm totally wrong because I've only seen him play a handful of times but McCarron appears to be very over rated, should have been subbed last night. That said they still could have easily drawn that match last night as they spurned a couple of opportunities to get a late equaliser

As far as Down are concerned you have to give serious credit to Eamon Burns. He looked like a dead man walking until he got his first win in the League this year but is now one game from an unlikely Ulster title. Still think they have a lot of ordinary players but he has them super fit and working to an effective counter attacking system.

You could say the same about Monaghan or Tyrone.

The main difference is that Monaghan and Tyrone have a few players who could be considered in the top 25 players in the country. Down wouldn't have any of those.

All it takes is one year for that perception to change.

Monaghan would only have McManus by my reckoning and although he's a wonderful footballer everyone still knows if you slow him down the rest of Monaghan's attack isn't going to pull a result out of the fire.

For Tyrone you might have Harte or Donnelly, but if they're in the top 25 they would be on the bottom end. Cavanagh was top one or two in country but age has changed things. Tyrone more a solid team than a team with great players imho.

yellowcard

Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2017, 04:03:59 PM
Monaghans big players just didn't perform apart from Hughes at midfield. Wylie was uncharacteristically poor at full back and McManus and McCarron in particular were really poor up front. Maybe I'm totally wrong because I've only seen him play a handful of times but McCarron appears to be very over rated, should have been subbed last night. That said they still could have easily drawn that match last night as they spurned a couple of opportunities to get a late equaliser

As far as Down are concerned you have to give serious credit to Eamon Burns. He looked like a dead man walking until he got his first win in the League this year but is now one game from an unlikely Ulster title. Still think they have a lot of ordinary players but he has them super fit and working to an effective counter attacking system.

The main difference is that Monaghan and Tyrone have a few players who could be considered in the top 25 players in the country. Down wouldn't have any of those.

All it takes is one year for that perception to change.

Monaghan would only have McManus by my reckoning and although he's a wonderful footballer everyone still knows if you slow him down the rest of Monaghan's attack isn't going to pull a result out of the fire.

For Tyrone you might have Harte or Donnelly, but if they're in the top 25 they would be on the bottom end. Cavanagh was top one or two in country but age has changed things. Tyrone more a solid team than a team with great players imho.

That's fair enough, I'd have Beggan up there also though he had an uncharacteristic meltdown in the 2nd half yesterday.

straightred

just heard that the 4 ballybay players on the monaghan team were in a car crash yesterday en route to the meeting point to go to armagh. Can't have been too serious as the wylies played and ward came on as a sub but its not ideal preparation either. Drew had a tough evening on Harrison

Maroon Manc

Very disappointed with Monaghan, I thought this would be the year when they'd make an All Ireland Semi.

Fuzzman

You never know MM, they still could. Look at Mayo last year and how well a run in the qualifiers got them prepared for a damn good try at the Sam.

I'd say Monaghan would fancy their chances against a Galway like Tipp did last year. A bit like Donegal, I would not be writing them off just yet.

How much do you think playing outside Clones is a factor? I know ye beat Kerry in the league but who was the last big win against outside Clones?

Armagh must be annoyed with Down, now sitting in an Ulster final having been so poor last year yet they don't seem to be making any progress from year to year.

Big Connaire will cause Tyrone plenty of problems I'd say if he gets the right ball into him.
Was interesting how well ye pushed up on Monaghan's kickouts yesterday. I think this has become a crucial change of tactics for most teams who are doing well this year.

snoopdog

Let's see if it's still that way at the end of the Championship.

Taylor

Quote from: snoopdog on June 26, 2017, 03:25:45 PM

Ye beat a terrible Armagh outfit and scraped past a Monagahn team caught napping.

The arrogance of Ulster footballs 'aristocracy' knows no bounds

5 Sams

Quote from: Taylor on June 26, 2017, 03:29:05 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on June 26, 2017, 03:25:45 PM

Ye beat a terrible Armagh outfit and scraped past a Monagahn team caught napping.

The arrogance of Ulster footballs 'aristocracy' knows no bounds

..and don't you forget it. ;D ;D ;D
The Aristocrat Years

timmyot501

Down are going into the ulster final this year a bit like Monaghan did in 2013.  We scraped past a poor Antrim outfit in the quarters, nearly got caught by Cavan in the semi and fell over the line by a point.  Went into the final as massive underdogs against Donegal and managed to finish the job.  You just never know!

Lecale Gael

Quote from: Taylor on June 20, 2017, 04:11:58 PM
Tell me what Down have shown for them not to be dismissed in such a derisory manner?

Beaten a disgracefully bad Armagh team? Scraped a draw with a Cork team that just got by Waterford?

Monaghan will win this game at a canter

::)
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: timmyot501 on June 26, 2017, 05:14:39 PM
You just never know!

2003 being a case in point.

We had it won till a Brian McGuigan dive got big Greg sent off for f**k all.
i usse an speelchekor

Hound

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 26, 2017, 03:11:00 PM

Big Connaire will cause Tyrone plenty of problems I'd say if he gets the right ball into him.

He'd cause the Dubs plenty of problems too if/when we meet at QF/SF.

Hopefully he's injury is not much.

Loved the bit where an awkward enough ball was coming lobbing into him towards the sideline, and Big Drew was lining him up for a right smash - but instead of grabbing the ball and getting nailed, Connaire palmed it away into the corner, leaving Drew wrong footed and allowing him to go pick it up at his leisure.

5 Sams

Heard from a good source that the Wylie lads car ended up on its roof on the way to the match/bus...hardly the best preparation..
The Aristocrat Years

nrico2006

It will be a handy enough win against Down, different level just like the 2010 schooling Down got.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'