Down v Monaghan - Saturday 24th June at 7pm

Started by interested, June 13, 2017, 08:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Shocking performance from Monaghan but the good news is we will give Down some trimming in the final.
The wide count in first 10mins spelled trouble for Monaghan but more telling was when there was a bit of handbags along sideline early on. Mc Manus & McCarron got thrown to the ground. Zero Of their colleagues came in to help as they were swamped by up for it down players.

They just didn't have the fight and it's why they will never be a top team.

Down are a poor outfit, can't wait to get at them

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Taylor on June 25, 2017, 12:51:39 PM
Shocking performance from Monaghan but the good news is we will give Down some trimming in the final.
The wide count in first 10mins spelled trouble for Monaghan but more telling was when there was a bit of handbags along sideline early on. Mc Manus & McCarron got thrown to the ground. Zero Of their colleagues came in to help as they were swamped by up for it down players.

They just didn't have the fight and it's why they will never be a top team.

Let's hope your predictions are as accurate for the final as they were for the semi.

GetOverTheBar

Congrats to Down. Didn't give them a chance in hell to be honest with you.

Thought they were very smart in last 15 minutes breaking the game up and disrupting Monaghan when out of their feet.

Targetman

This 2 balls on the field at the one time descended into a farce last night,apparently the umpires aren't allowed to remove one, seemed to be the photographer's job, but terrific effort from Down despite the 2nd referee giving some very poor decisions against us, oh it didn't take long for the a cocky Tyrone head to stick his snout in!!

PAULD123

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 25, 2017, 10:29:28 AM
It was more than one easy free. Darrem Hughes overcarried. Free in and point came of it. Also he gave a free to Monaghan when Down turned over at kick out. Beggan handled on ground not given. One time Darren Hughes went for mark but dropped it but ref blew for mark. One of the worst refs I've ever seen in terms of applying the rules.

Beggan on the ground was an umpire failing but not a point scoring chance for Monaghan. The mark was a bad decision. He had his whistle to his mouth as Hughes got both hands on teh ball and blew it anyway as Hghes fumbled. I would give the beneft of the doubt here as it looked like it would be a  clear catch too all of us. The ref was just a wee bit quick off the mark (if you pardon the pun!!)

Hughes over-carrying was the one I was talking about. That was a gimmie point at a crucial time, could have cost us the game. But there was lots of over-carrying not punished which was allowing Monaghan to recycle possession for about ten minutes. It is just not fair on defenders. They are not getting rewarded for doing their job properly.

The wide count in first 10mins spelled trouble for Monaghan...

Down hit the same wides in the last ten minutes. If a couple had gone over Monaghan would have limped out. So don't make out it was four wides in the first ten minutes that decided the game.

We are not confident of beating Tyrone and totally accept we are deserved underdogs. But comments like that are just pure hubris. Monaghan thought they would give us a trimming too. Don't get arrogant.

bennydorano

Quote from: redhandofgod on June 25, 2017, 12:46:24 PM
Monaghan are seriously overrated, sure Longford beat them in the championship last year ffs.
I've been expecting them to push on to another level the past couple of years myself but it's never happened, maybe they're just not as good as I thought. Unless they achieve something spectacular in the qualifiers I'd say O'Rourke will go too.

Taylor

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 25, 2017, 01:07:36 PM
It was more than one easy free. Darrem Hughes overcarried. Free in and point came of it. Also he gave a free to Monaghan when Down turned over at kick out. Beggan handled on ground not given. One time Darren Hughes went for mark but dropped it but ref blew for mark. One of the worst refs I've ever seen in terms of applying the rules.

Beggan on the ground was an umpire failing but not a point scoring chance for Monaghan. The mark was a bad decision. He had his whistle to his mouth as Hughes got both hands on teh ball and blew it anyway as Hghes fumbled. I would give the beneft of the doubt here as it looked like it would be a  clear catch too all of us. The ref was just a wee bit quick off the mark (if you pardon the pun!!)

Hughes over-carrying was the one I was talking about. That was a gimmie point at a crucial time, could have cost us the game. But there was lots of over-carrying not punished which was allowing Monaghan to recycle possession for about ten minutes. It is just not fair on defenders. They are not getting rewarded for doing their job properly.

Down hit the same wides in the last ten minutes. If a couple had gone over Monaghan would have limped out. So don't make out it was four wides in the first ten minutes that decided the game.

We are not confident of beating Tyrone and totally accept we are deserved underdogs. But comments like that are just pure hubris. Monaghan thought they would give us a trimming too. Don't get arrogant.

Arrogant? Down supporters accusing someone else of being arrogant. The irony of it all.

mrdeeds

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 25, 2017, 01:07:36 PM

Not an umpire failure as they can't call a foul. A Down player pointed to umpire for ref to ask but the ref refused. As for Monahan wides at one stage in second half scoring chances came up and Down had more. Not sure what it was at end.

The football has being good this year surprisingly which doesn't usually happen till quarters or semis. The structures are still deeply flawed. Roscommon in last 12 after beating Leitrim.

Schkite

When the dust settles and the lads are back at training next week, it will be interesting to see how Monaghan respond. It was definitely a set back and everybody will be rightly asking questions of Monaghan - but I heard some saying that another Ulster title isn't the be all and end all for Monaghan this year, and regardless of if they won another Ulster the main test would be winning an AI quarter final and progressing further than this team has before.

Getting back to the quarter final stage is still very much achievable for Monaghan, it's a question of if they've the stomach for the qualifiers again. The fact that we have a 2 week break helps, if it was only 1 week then a repeat of the Longford debacle would be very possible, but I'd hope we can regroup in two weeks. As I said, a lot will be said of Monaghan this week and alot of players have to take a long look in the mirror. It seemed like some fellas felt they just had to turn up and win, while the Down lads had so much more hunger. I still feel there is quality in the Monaghan team and they can recover from this defeat, but they need to show in the qualifiers that they want it. Big couple of weeks ahead.

yellowcard

Monaghans big players just didn't perform apart from Hughes at midfield. Wylie was uncharacteristically poor at full back and McManus and McCarron in particular were really poor up front. Maybe I'm totally wrong because I've only seen him play a handful of times but McCarron appears to be very over rated, should have been subbed last night. That said they still could have easily drawn that match last night as they spurned a couple of opportunities to get a late equaliser

As far as Down are concerned you have to give serious credit to Eamon Burns. He looked like a dead man walking until he got his first win in the League this year but is now one game from an unlikely Ulster title. Still think they have a lot of ordinary players but he has them super fit and working to an effective counter attacking system.

Syferus

Quote from: yellowcard on June 25, 2017, 02:25:39 PM
Monaghans big players just didn't perform apart from Hughes at midfield. Wylie was uncharacteristically poor at full back and McManus and McCarron in particular were really poor up front. Maybe I'm totally wrong because I've only seen him play a handful of times but McCarron appears to be very over rated, should have been subbed last night. That said they still could have easily drawn that match last night as they spurned a couple of opportunities to get a late equaliser

As far as Down are concerned you have to give serious credit to Eamon Burns. He looked like a dead man walking until he got his first win in the League this year but is now one game from an unlikely Ulster title. Still think they have a lot of ordinary players but he has them super fit and working to an effective counter attacking system.

You could say the same about Monaghan or Tyrone.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on June 25, 2017, 01:10:13 PM
Quote from: redhandofgod on June 25, 2017, 12:46:24 PM
Monaghan are seriously overrated, sure Longford beat them in the championship last year ffs.
I've been expecting them to push on to another level the past couple of years myself but it's never happened, maybe they're just not as good as I thought. Unless they achieve something spectacular in the qualifiers I'd say O'Rourke will go too.
When Donegal began to fade the standard in Ulster fell significantly. Tyrone were very mediocre over recent years too.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

I remember watching Monaghan playing against Mayo in the first game of the League and they were far more fired up for that match than they were yesterday. They played that league match like it was an AI final and I remember thinking that they would struggle to maintain that level of intensity for a full season.

yellowcard

Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2017, 02:54:01 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 25, 2017, 02:25:39 PM

You could say the same about Monaghan or Tyrone.

The main difference is that Monaghan and Tyrone have a few players who could be considered in the top 25 players in the country. Down wouldn't have any of those.

straightred

Yeah - i think he blew for the mark just before hughes dropped it so he was stuck with it. Blew too quick.

I thought mcgoldrick was worth 2 to 3 points to down in the first half so the swing the other way (and there was a swing) probably meant it balanced out overall