Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OgraAnDun

Quote from: BennyCake on December 05, 2017, 01:49:28 PM
In or out, Ireland could still trade with EU countries. Plus they could make their own laws and trade deals, instead of being dictated to by Europe, a la the Apple deal.

Britain is a big trader with the rest of the eu, and its going to hurt many EU countries when Brexit happens. I just hope that they will vote to leave too when they see trade affected.

A 1% increase in distance between two countries decreases trade between those two countries by 1.1%. Common membership of an economic bloc increases trade between those two countries by 330%.

As we have nobody close to us on our West coast, it makes sense that we will trade more with those to our east (Europe). What you are suggesting is pulling out of a union that results in hugely increased bilateral trade and trying to replace it with countries huge distances away, while maintaining that same bilateral trade (which relies on tariff and quota free trade) with a trading bloc that will impose trade barriers?

This is before taking into account loss of employment and investment from current and future MNCs which are based here primarily because of our membership of the EU.

Hardy

Quote from: trileacman on December 05, 2017, 01:46:23 PM
Before you all get sticking th boot into benny I can clearly recall when all the hard men chat on here was "f**k the eu, ecb, Von rompuy etc etc they put us into this bailout, it's their fault a semi detached house on a flood plain in Athlone was worth 880,000 Euro."

I'd find the sudden change of heart amongst the populists funny if it wasn't so damn pathetic.

You may find it funny or pathetic. I find it a good example of grown up people being able to think in terms other than white hats good, black hats bad. Grown ups know that we were gang-raped by Germany and the ECB. But no process of reasoning would lead them to respond by leaving the EU and thereby impoverishing ourselves by hitching our economic wagon to a nineteenth-century horse and buggy economy that is about to shoot its horse.

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on December 05, 2017, 02:18:53 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/dec/05/theresa-may-struggles-to-rescue-brexit-deal-as-dublin-says-it-wont-back-down-politics-live

Does the DUP have a veto over what the government does?

No, says Dodds. He says the Irish government has a veto. It is acting in a reckless and dangerous way.

He says the tone has changed since Leo Varadkar and Simon Coveney took power.

The DUP's Ian Paisley tells Davis he is pleased the UK showed that it could say no to the EU. And will the UK tell Irelandthat, if there is no free trade deal, that will cost them £1.5bn.

https://youtu.be/RijB8wnJCN0

"Leo Varadkar/IRA and his homosexual Fenian bastards are causing all this difficulty by engaging in dangerous, reckless language."

haranguerer

On another note, I wonder will Leo continue to give out to SF for not doing a deal with the DUP re Stormont. I suspect not now he has had his eyes opened to their intransigence

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2017, 02:27:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 05, 2017, 02:18:53 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/dec/05/theresa-may-struggles-to-rescue-brexit-deal-as-dublin-says-it-wont-back-down-politics-live

Does the DUP have a veto over what the government does?

No, says Dodds. He says the Irish government has a veto. It is acting in a reckless and dangerous way.

He says the tone has changed since Leo Varadkar and Simon Coveney took power.

The DUP's Ian Paisley tells Davis he is pleased the UK showed that it could say no to the EU. And will the UK tell Irelandthat, if there is no free trade deal, that will cost them £1.5bn.

https://youtu.be/RijB8wnJCN0

"Leo Varadkar/IRA and his homosexual Fenian b**tards are causing all this difficulty by engaging in dangerous, reckless language."
Extremist position on not wanting a hard border.
The DUP remind me of Roscommon matches against  Mayo
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Goway and choke a few Herrins outa that.😠
I suspect SF will leave Stormont to fester for the forseeable future.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Davis is a fraud

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/dec/05/theresa-may-struggles-to-rescue-brexit-deal-as-dublin-says-it-wont-back-down-politics-live?
Sir Keir Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary, says this gives a new meaning to the phrase "coalition of chaos".

He says yesterday the government expected a deal. It ended with May giving a 49-second press conference.

He says the problem is May used her conference speech in 2016 to propose a hard Brexit, while saying there would be no hard border in Northern Ireland. Yesterday the rubber hit the road.

He says May should rethink her overall Brexit strategy.

And he says yesterday confirmed that the "DUP tail is wagging the Tory dog".

He asks May to drop the proposed amendment to the EU withdrawal bill fixing the Brexit date. Yesterday showed why that was absurd.

Syferus

Take it easy Seafoid, you'll have no gas left in the tank for Christmas at this rate.

yellowcard

So in the space of 24 hours the DUP have managed to scupper a good deal for both Irish economies, forced Teresa May to dance to their tune, belittle and scold Leo Varadkar and then in the house of commons today Dodds forced David Davis to bow down to their wishes. This from a party that has a sum total of 10 seats. It really is the tail wagging the dog but they have an undeniable swagger and air of supremacy about them again. 

BennyCake

Quote from: Hardy on December 05, 2017, 02:26:17 PM
Before you all get sticking th boot into benny I can clearly recall when all the hard men chat on here was "f**k the eu, ecb, Von rompuy etc etc they put us into this bailout, it's their fault a semi detached house on a flood plain in Athlone was worth 880,000 Euro."

I'd find the sudden change of heart amongst the populists funny if it wasn't so damn pathetic.

You may find it funny or pathetic. I find it a good example of grown up people being able to think in terms other than white hats good, black hats bad. Grown ups know that we were gang-raped by Germany and the ECB. But no process of reasoning would lead them to respond by leaving the EU and thereby impoverishing ourselves by hitching our economic wagon to a nineteenth-century horse and buggy economy that is about to shoot its horse.

Where has being in the EU got Ireland? Two treaties enforced, dictated to on what they must/can't do, massive bailout to be paid off for years to come, flocks of nationalities driving down wages and leading to stresses on hospitals housing etc. Thousands of Irish left for work. Many have lost their homes, now growing homelessness, pay cuts, education/health/benefit cuts etc etc. If that is the situation after bowing to Europe, then God help Ireland.

Ah but sure the EU gave us money for a couple of motorways, so it's all grand.

seafoid

As the Unionist % of the NI population reduces over time they will become even more bitter and deluded. They define themselves as not Irish . They live in Ireland . FFS  .
The Plantation is still a catastrophe. It always was.

yellowcard

Quote from: BennyCake on December 05, 2017, 03:13:22 PM

Where has being in the EU got Ireland? Two treaties enforced, dictated to on what they must/can't do, massive bailout to be paid off for years to come, flocks of nationalities driving down wages and leading to stresses on hospitals housing etc. Thousands of Irish left for work. Many have lost their homes, now growing homelessness, pay cuts, education/health/benefit cuts etc etc. If that is the situation after bowing to Europe, then God help Ireland.

This is the sort of ill founded insular rhetoric that got the UK into the current Brexit clusterfcuk that it presently finds itself. Scaremongering and playing on old ill conceived prejudices with no semblance of a clearly defined alternative plan.   

BennyCake

Quote from: yellowcard on December 05, 2017, 03:29:00 PM

This is the sort of ill founded insular rhetoric that got the UK into the current Brexit clusterfcuk that it presently finds itself. Scaremongering and playing on old ill conceived prejudices with no semblance of a clearly defined alternative plan.

Well, was any of that post incorrect?

sid waddell

If you think things are bad now, just wait until you see how wages would be driven down, unemployment and homelessness would grow, and education, healthcare and benefits would be cut if we were outside the EU.

It's mad the way people see the likes of Arlene Foster, Nigel Dodds, Nigel Farage, Jacob Rees-Mogg, John Redwood, Iain Duncan-Smith and Owen Paterson in action, and think to themselves, "yes, these people clearly know they're talking about, we need to be more like these people".

foxcommander

Quote from: BennyCake on December 05, 2017, 03:34:55 PM

Well, was any of that post incorrect?

It was f**king spot on Benny.

Anyone who disagrees certainly has their blinkers on.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie