A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

And a United Ireland is sustainable? How? Sure the 26 counties was bankrupt recently😂😂😂.It cannot even manage itself never mind taking on board the basket case economy of the six counties!

Seriously I would doubt if I'd vote for a United Ireland now.I am not convinced about its financial management ability ,all its governments were crap,many run by corrupt shysters,it is behoven to the EU with little or no sovereignty left,and I disagree with its stance on gay marriage etc,its shameful and immoral tax concessions to big multinational companies

Better the devil you know! In any event not one person posting on this board will live long enough to see a United Ireland.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: T Fearon on December 07, 2017, 09:10:34 PM
And a United Ireland is sustainable? How? Sure the 26 counties was bankrupt recently😂😂😂.It cannot even manage itself never mind taking on board the basket case economy of the six counties!

Seriously I would doubt if I'd vote for a United Ireland now.I am not convinced about its financial management ability ,all its governments were crap,many run by corrupt shysters,it is behoven to the EU with little or no sovereignty left,and I disagree with its stance on gay marriage etc,its shameful and immoral tax concessions to big multinational companies

Better the devil you know! In any event not one person posting on this board will live long enough to see a United Ireland.

I'd put a considerable sum of money that I will live to see a UI, and I'd be fairly confident that you will too.

How can you bring up the financial state of the south? It's not utopia but income levels are far higher than the north, the (admittedly skewed) GDP figures have it in the top 10 in the world for per capita GDP. The state didn't need a bailout, it was the banks.

BennyCake

The North is a basket case because of successive British policies.

It's not the done thing to laugh at the southern bailout. Ordinary hardworking people are feckin' paying for and continually suffering due to said bailout.

MK

Realistically the story regards the North is:

London doesn't want it and
Dublin  can't afford it

armaghniac

It borrowed money and paid it back. Did you ever borrow money? Did you pay it back? Were you bankrupt?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

;D ;D ;D And that is different to the politicians in the north how?

If you're arguing over the respective strength of the 2 economies then you're talking nonsense. The north is an economic basket case at present but given time could eventually flourish inside a UI.

Also you say you doubt if you would vote for a UI. Yet countless times previously you have advocated an independent state due to a distinct culture. So in that case why is there even a doubt that you might even contemplate a UI that you can't even say for definite that you wouldn't vote for it now. If even you are doubting your own decision that previously you were set against then that in itself is a sign that the middle ground alliance and soft unionists are at least contemplating the prospect.

red hander

Brexit was driven by the little Englanders who believed the lies that all the money they gave to the EU would stay in Britain and be spent there. These same little Englanders will start asking questions very soon after Brexit about the £10bn a year forked out by Westminster to keep this failed shithole afloat.. Tick, tick, tick, the statelet's time is fast running out

T Fearon

And Dublin is going to fork out this £10bn? 😂😂😂.The North has been a drain on Britain for nearly 100 years,yet it hasn't been relinquished.I recommend you read the letters page in the Newsletter these days.Arlene now enjoys Edward Carson iconic like status among Unionists for putting those freestaters in their place.One letter writer says No Unionist can now vote to stay in the EU as it would be akin to voting for a United Ireland.If a referendum was run in the North on EU membership now the vote would be a significant majority leave result.

What makes anyone think a United Ireland,which is never going to happen, would be a utopia? The likelihood  is a merger between Unionists and FG to rule permanently ,there would be twice as many Orange parades,unionism/loyalism's every whim would be satisfied to keep them happy etc.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: T Fearon on December 07, 2017, 10:54:58 PM
And Dublin is going to fork out this £10bn? 😂😂😂.The North has been a drain on Britain for nearly 100 years,yet it hasn't been relinquished.I recommend you read the letters page in the Newsletter these days.Arlene now enjoys Edward Carson iconic like status among Unionists for putting those freestaters in their place.One letter writer says No Unionist can now vote to stay in the EU as it would be akin to voting for a United Ireland.If a referendum was run in the North on EU membership now the vote would be a significant majority leave result.

What makes anyone think a United Ireland,which is never going to happen, would be a utopia? The likelihood  is a merger between Unionists and FG to rule permanently ,there would be twice as many Orange parades,unionism/loyalism's every whim would be satisfied to keep them happy etc.

The sort of people that regularly write into the Irish News or the Newsletter are not generally representative of the greater population, like that eejit from Cork that is never out of the Irish News.

T Fearon

Both letters pages are generally a good barometer of opinion.FFS show me a shred of evidence that any section of unionism is willing to even consider a United Ireland.When the likes of Alex Kane won't even contemplate it there is no chance of Unionist consent.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: T Fearon on December 07, 2017, 11:03:15 PM
Both letters pages are generally a good barometer of opinion.FFS show me a shred of evidence that any section of unionism is willing to even consider a United Ireland.When the likes of Alex Kane won't even contemplate it there is no chance of Unionist consent.

The ones in the LucidTalk poll. The Alliance member writing in Slugger. Considering that you(or your namesake)  are a regular contributor to the Irish News letters page and your views are unique on gaabaord (a far greater sample size), I don't think you can say that they are a good barometer of public opinion.

T Fearon

There is not going to be a United Ireland.No Unionist wants it,a substantial proportion of Catholics don't want it,and most importantly of all,the majority of the people in the South and the Dublin Govt don't want it.Continue to delude yourselves if you must,but these are hard facts.

yellowcard

Quote from: T Fearon on December 07, 2017, 11:03:15 PM

Dear god, twitter and message boards are more relevant than newspaper letter page in the current age.

The fact that you personally as a middle ground independent state advocate couldn't categorically state that you wouldn't vote against a UI is progress in itself.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on December 07, 2017, 11:24:31 PM
There is not going to be a United Ireland.No Unionist wants it,a substantial proportion of Catholics don't want it,and most importantly of all,the majority of the people in the South and the Dublin Govt don't want it.Continue to delude yourselves if you must,but these are hard facts.
Substantial number of catholics, have you a figure? Not a made up one
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Of course no Unionist wants a UI.
If they did they wouldn't be Unionists.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM