A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

Quote from: armaghniac on December 05, 2017, 03:41:26 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on December 05, 2017, 01:18:24 PM
Interesting stats from McWilliams. It wasn't too many years ago when Ian Óg Paisley was sneering about not wanting the South's potholed roads.

Indeed I recall John "indian" Taylor about 25 years ago sneering on a panel about the lack of motorways in the 26 counties. Now the 26 counties has 10 times the motorway length of the wee 6.

Quote from: illdecide on December 05, 2017, 02:50:11 PM
Ha, they done that for Craigavon in early 70's...offered them money to move there from Belfast. The British Government should offer all the Prods money to move to England/Scotland and everyone's happy. That's Brexit sorted...

Moving them to Scotland would secure the Union. The poor people of Scotland might never forgive either us or England for doing this though.

Indeed. Considering the original Planters, the bane of our history, were the absolute dregs of lowland Scottish society and that country was delighted to get rid of them, it would be a nightmare for them. Imagine the effect in Shortbread land of the absolute scummery of Scottish loyalism being reinforced by a deluge of their equally bigoted cousins from here. Doesn't bear thinking about

Hardy

Quote from: armaghniac on December 05, 2017, 03:41:26 PM
Quote from: illdecide on December 05, 2017, 02:50:11 PM
Ha, they done that for Craigavon in early 70's...offered them money to move there from Belfast. The British Government should offer all the Prods money to move to England/Scotland and everyone's happy. That's Brexit sorted...

Moving them to Scotland would secure the Union. The poor people of Scotland might never forgive either us or England for doing this though.

This is the sort of stuff that's designed to encourage them to engage in the conversation about a shared future?

Therealdonald

There is no capacity for a shared future with the DUP. Going by your pic youre a southerner, come up and live with us and let us know how we can share a future with these people.

armaghniac

There is a very interesting thread on Slugger to the effect that all of this will eventually drive the middle ground voters away from the union and towards  a UI.
This is written by an Alliance guy, who wasn't much bothered until recently but who is now thinking about things and his mates likewise.

A good quote
"If the centre ground continues to be squeezed, there's only one other way this is going to go. It ends on a rainswept afternoon at Hillsborough Castle. With a slate-grey sky in the background, the diplomatic corps and representatives of the royal family and the Government are sitting behind an immaculately turned-out band playing Nimrod, then God Save the King, before lowering and folding the Flag for the last time. Sitting to the side, the invited Unionist politicians will be left watching in disbelief and wondering – as they did in the years following the signing of the Anglo Irish Agreement – if these few cheap concessions would really have been that hard to make. Where did it all go wrong?"
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

So one guy fantasises about a United Ireland and it's going to happen? Maybe its because I'm from Portadown that it makes it easy for me to realise the depth of Unionist feeling and determination to resist a United Ireland,and know it's never going to happen.

They see themselves as more British than the British themselves.If Brexit makes the people of Britain starve,Unionists will be happy to starve with them to prove they are equally British.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on December 05, 2017, 09:19:00 PM
So one guy fantasises about a United Ireland and it's going to happen? Maybe its because I'm from Portadown that it makes it easy for me to realise the depth of Unionist feeling and determination to resist a United Ireland,and know it's never going to happen.

They see themselves as more British than the British themselves.If Brexit makes the people of Britain starve,Unionists will be happy to starve with them to prove they are equally British.

Unionists are not in the majority, their proportion of the population drops by 0.3% per annum.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

You must not have actually read the article. The blogger in question is not fantasising about a United Ireland, in fact he is an Alliance party member, the party with which your own views are most closely aligned.

Of course the Unionists want to resist it but whatever chance they have had of attracting the middle ground will not have been helped with their behaviour of the last 18 months. They will always retain a significant minority of 'never never' voters who they can rely on by whipping up fear, hate and paranoia but the tide has turned dramatically in a short space of time since Brexit. 

T Fearon

Dublin and the population of the South do not want a united ireland

red hander

50% +1, then they can suck it up whatever way they want

michaelg

Quote from: armaghniac on December 05, 2017, 09:38:06 PM

Unionists are not in the majority, their proportion of the population drops by 0.3% per annum.
Be higher too if you  could re-patriate them.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: michaelg on December 05, 2017, 09:57:19 PM

Unionists/Protestants/Planters have been here long enough that they are now fully Irish and there is nowhere to repatriate them to.

michaelg

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 05, 2017, 10:00:52 PM

Unionists/Protestants/Planters have been here long enough that they are now fully Irish and there is nowhere to repatriate them to.
Interesting how posters here have brought up the idea of the re-patriation of Unionists / Protestants in Ulster.  The same people also claim that bigotry is a one way street.  What's the difference between Irish Nationalsists / Catholics bringing up the idea of re-patriation and far right fascists in Great Britain making the same suggestion for ethnic minorities to be "sent home"?

Therealdonald

Quote from: michaelg on December 05, 2017, 10:09:42 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 05, 2017, 10:00:52 PM

Interesting how posters here have brought up the idea of the re-patriation of Unionists / Protestants in Ulster.  The same people also claim that bigotry is a one way street.  What's the difference between Irish Nationalsists / Catholics bringing up the idea of re-patriation and far right fascists in Great Britain making the same suggestion for ethnic minorities to be "sent home"?

Ethnic minorities aren't dictating the day to day terms of life in GB. Protestants do dictate in the North.