Sligo v. Wicklow - someone has to...

Started by magpie seanie, July 04, 2014, 01:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 06, 2014, 08:06:07 AM
Was only listening on Ocean myself yesterday but I reckon on a dry day Coen is definitely worth a place. Breheny and Marren are living on their reputations. Kelly should play the Breheny role. Murphy and Coen should have been the inside men. Marren kicks a few great scores but has no workrate and doesnt even contest if a ball in isnt to his liking. Murphy of course is not about so Marren should start but he needs to work harder. I know Coen isnt the bravest at times but he always shows and contests for possession.

McDonnell has great potential. Delighted yesterday went well for him. We seemed to hoover up the breaks in the middle third yesterday that we would have expected to do against Galway. How much was down to the opponents and how much was down to better midfield play? Several balls were not even contested against Galway.

So we live to fight another day. Limerick at home would offer the best chance of progression.

I'm not fully up to speed on the new format, who could we meet next and who can we not meet?

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Tipp, Limerick or Laois/Wexford. All doable matches.

sligoman2

Thanks Sy, all doable I agree if we could get a game at home.  I don't think we've had a home game in about 10 years
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

baoithe

Quote from: Syferus on July 06, 2014, 02:07:19 PM

I think we'd struggle against Tipp, Laois or Wexford.

Syferus

Quote from: baoithe on July 06, 2014, 04:05:00 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 06, 2014, 02:07:19 PM

I think we'd struggle against Tipp, Laois or Wexford.

You don't have to worry about Wexford now. They were very poor this year anyways. Laois and Tipp would struggle with Sligo too. I've seen Tipp in the flesh this year and they're decent but not much more than that. Laois aren't much better, particularly in terms of their ability as footballers they're quite limited. Playing D1/2 football might give them an edge.

Sligo shouldn't be scared of any of them. If they are or aren't zoned in they'll get a flaking like any team would.

mylestheslasher

Kevin O Donnell not McDonnell. I've seen him a bit at club level. A really good prospect for Sligo.

Mano

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 06, 2014, 06:37:27 PM
Kevin O Donnell not McDonnell. I've seen him a bit at club level. A really good prospect for Sligo.
It's McDonnell

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Mano on July 06, 2014, 07:18:37 PM
It's McDonnell

Sorry I wrote that the wrong way around, I think he was being deferred to as o Donnell earlier. Anyways good result for Sligo, there's plenty of beatable same in that draw yet

moysider

It's McDonnell

Is he the lad from Castleconnor that came on v Galway?

magpie seanie

Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2014, 09:39:23 PM
It's McDonnell

Is he the lad from Castleconnor that came on v Galway?

Yeah. He's well known as he has been tagged as "one to watch" for a brave while now. I remember a friend of mine (who is not prone to getting too excited) raving about him having seen him as a 16 year old playing for the county minors. Fingers crossed he develops into what we think he can. Good signs so far.

magpie seanie

Well we got the one we wanted. Gives us a good chance of progressing but obviously Limerick are no joke - should have beaten us in the league despiteall their alleged problems at the time.

I think Tipp will beat Laois.

Syferus

Lovely chance for Slugo to play for a place in an AIQF. Can ye play Galway again in R4?

commonman

on basis that tipp and limk couldn't meet in R3, then galway Sligo cannot meet in R4, I think that rule only comes in from round 3.

Syferus

Quote from: commonman on July 07, 2014, 10:23:50 AM
on basis that tipp and limk couldn't meet in R3, then galway Sligo cannot meet in R4, I think that rule only comes in from round 3.

That's what I thought. So unless Galway beat Mayo if Sligo win there won't be any need for a 4A draw - they'll play Cork at a neutral venue.

magpie seanie

James Hynes and Charlie Harrison on the GAA team of the week. Delighted especially for Hynes. Great to see new players coming through and along with McDonnell's performance a good weekend for west Sligo football. If we are to make anythnig of ourselves we need all areas of the county producing football players.