Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Seany on January 09, 2018, 01:53:46 PM
Just remember. Barry McElduff wasn't mocking anyone. He was making fun of himself. It is not against the law for an elected representative to have a bit of fun. His voters seem to like it. He tops the poll in every election he participates in and is known for his 24 hour service to his constituents. What is utterly sickening about this is the kicking he received from fellow politicians who know him, know his anti sectarian principles and know he meant absolutely nothing to do with Kingsmills when he put that loaf of bread on his head. There was no rational or logical advantage for him to gain by mocking the victims of a sectarian outrage that even horrified senior IRA figures and happened during a ceasefire. But the poor victims and relatives were the last thing on the minds of those who decided that this would be a great piece of moral high ground to bash him around the place.

Maybe he wasn't however if he wasn't mocking then it doesn't say much for his level of intelligence. Either way he should have done the decent thing and resigned the position himself.

The standard of politician in the north is very poor, too many politicians more concerned about their social media profile and treating it as a career than actually serving the people.

general_lee

Don't think someone like McElduff who is very active on social media would have posted something like this by accident so I doubt it's a private joke gone wrong. Likewise I don't see it as something he posted with malicious intent, that would be political suicide and even the most bitter of bigots in the TUV/DUP don't come out with stuff like that - what exactly would there be to gain by him publicly mocking innocent victims? I genuinely believe it's an unfortunate coincidence - it took 36 hours even for it  to even be noticed and it was the usual suspects lacing the boot in. SF I suppose had to do something, and whether it was intentional or not it was still highly offensive to the families of the victims and that has to be acknowledged - giving him the sack maybe a bit ott

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Avondhu star

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on January 09, 2018, 02:15:49 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 09, 2018, 12:32:26 PM
At the last UK election the 18 NI seats were divvied up between the DUP and SF. The SDLP was wiped out.
The politics in NI are completely polarised. It is more or less geographical as well.

SF have to prove that they are capable of delivering change that benefits voters. Otherwise voters will shaft them. 
Maybe the most interesting comment on this whole clusterfuck came regarding SF's respect equality and sectarianism agenda. It looks like plamas.

SF remind me a bit of the Tyrone footballers 2018 version. Very disciplined but no marquee forwards.

The All Ireland that SF are playing for is a United Ireland. They need to have the right people in place to take advantage of the UK's weakness. They need to be strategic. They need to think ahead. Maybe they can't. 

This has nothing to do with the Stardust. This is senior hurling.

I have been thinking about this for a while.  If you look at the long game then all Sinn Féin have to do here is not drop the ball.   Demographics are taking care of things.  In reality in a stalemate situation, it's the DUP that have to make a move.  Playing keep ball will only cost them as they need to widen their support base.  So really the onus is on them to broaden their appeal.  I see zero evidence of that or even an understanding of that from their utterances. 

I don't know the McElduff chap from Adam but I think that Shinners have mishandled things.  If he has done nothing wrong, then they should say so and back him.  By punishing him they are suggesting he did something wrong but by giving such a light punishment it seems like a fudge.  This halfway house effort will be grist to their critics' mills.

/Jim.

It's called running with the hare and hunting with the hounds, a SF speciality
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Il Bomber Destro

Orior

Quote from: square_ball on January 09, 2018, 02:18:58 PM
Sinn Fein could put Barney the dinosaur up for election in West Tyrone and he'd still get elected. I don't think it's a ringing endorsement to say he tops the polls all the time. It's another case of voting through orange and green eyes.

They coukd sack Barry McElduff and force an election. They could then put up their candidate called "Barry Michael Duff"

Bazza would run as an independent, so it will be Barry McElduff versus Barry Michael Duff. That would be interesting.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Applesisapples

Ok guys, you are at work, you pull a stunt in the canteen at break time, nobody is hurt but some of your colleagues feel that you have offended them. you should have known they could take offence.
Your company tells the press your a bad boy and you'll face the consequences. They meet you after the incident has been debated ad naseum in the media. You get fired. There is no tangible proof you intended to offend your colleagues, is that fair?
McElduff is not funny, he should have known better and should in my opinion have known that a kingsmill loaf could in the hands of a republican be taken as being offensive.Leaving aside the trial by media, given that no one can know if he meant offence and taking him at his word it would not have been fair to deprive him of his livelihood? He has no record of being offensive and in his shoes given the bashing he took publicly from all including Declan Kearney I would have kept my seat in Westminister to protect my income. SF could not sack him on those grounds alone and that is before we consider fairness. He has been stupid, offended victims and paid a heavy price in how he has been publicly disowned by the party, give me an example from the DUP.

red hander

Quote from: general_lee on January 09, 2018, 03:35:58 PM
Don't think someone like McElduff who is very active on social media would have posted something like this by accident so I doubt it's a private joke gone wrong. Likewise I don't see it as something he posted with malicious intent, that would be political suicide and even the most bitter of bigots in the TUV/DUP don't come out with stuff like that - what exactly would there be to gain by him publicly mocking innocent victims? I genuinely believe it's an unfortunate coincidence - it took 36 hours even for it  to even be noticed and it was the usual suspects lacing the boot in. SF I suppose had to do something, and whether it was intentional or not it was still highly offensive to the families of the victims and that has to be acknowledged - giving him the sack maybe a bit ott

A cursory glance on the Twittersphere would suggest otherwise

Minder

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 09, 2018, 04:13:17 PM
Ok guys, you are at work, you pull a stunt in the canteen at break time, nobody is hurt but some of your colleagues feel that you have offended them. you should have known they could take offence.
Your company tells the press your a bad boy and you'll face the consequences. They meet you after the incident has been debated ad naseum in the media. You get fired. There is no tangible proof you intended to offend your colleagues, is that fair?
McElduff is not funny, he should have known better and should in my opinion have known that a kingsmill loaf could in the hands of a republican be taken as being offensive.Leaving aside the trial by media, given that no one can know if he meant offence and taking him at his word it would not have been fair to deprive him of his livelihood? He has no record of being offensive and in his shoes given the bashing he took publicly from all including Declan Kearney I would have kept my seat in Westminister to protect my income. SF could not sack him on those grounds alone and that is before we consider fairness. He has been stupid, offended victims and paid a heavy price in how he has been publicly disowned by the party, give me an example from the DUP.

Different ball game when you are a politician, rightly or wrongly. Didn't a Tory minister resign before Xmas for touching a reporters knee (now known as sexual assault apparently). I would disagree that he has been disowned by SF, suspended for 3 months on full pay, not the harshest of punishments
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Orchard park

SF,  6 counties members in particular have a fixation with the DUP and their members actions, i dont want republicanism to be judgds by its compariotive standing to fundamentalist loyalists. I want our standards to be way superior and on stupidity grounds alone McElduff is lucky to have gotten off so lightly

Rossfan

BennyCake

Quote from: Avondhu star on January 09, 2018, 11:23:14 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 09, 2018, 10:03:23 AM
Quote from: Avondhu star on January 09, 2018, 09:36:32 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 09, 2018, 07:27:36 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 09, 2018, 06:14:30 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 08, 2018, 09:45:37 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 08, 2018, 09:42:14 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on January 08, 2018, 09:32:45 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 08, 2018, 09:27:36 PM
I have little time for SF in the 26 and will have even less when the awful Marylou is crowned.
I know where they're coming from in the 6 and where their sidekicks the Provo IRA were coming from.
The lads who shot the Kingsmill workers certainly deserve to be called terrorists anyway.

Just read into why the Kingsmill incident happened. And identify those that died. That's all I'm saying.

That's part of the problem with looking back at the past. All incidents are related in one way or another. Dealing with each in isolation leads to a narrative that my victims are more important than your victims.

Then you have to ask about how much the british knew about every attack - they had quite a number of spies and agents working for them on both sides.

I remember in the 1970's, it seemed that each murder was bringing us closer and closer to outright civil war and only one more would tip us over the edge.
Y

It's war, these were ordinary people doing things they would not do in the normal course of their lives.

What is more important to look at were those who could have intervened before things spiraled out of control but chose not to - The Free State and British Governments.
That defence wouldn't fly at the Hague

How did ye get away with Dunmanway so?
This is from someone who couldn't find his way to Dundonald never mind Dunmanway. Your friend got a three month suspension so he has plenty time to work on hisc comedy act for Britain's got talent

He doesn't take his seat in a British parliament. He's unlikely to participate in a British talent show. Well, not with that kind of "act" anyway.
I bet he takes the Queen's shilling. Of course all the Shinners do, some of them in cash from their handlers

Well of course he does. What the feck does that matter? The north uses sterling. Even if Lizzie's arsehole was on the notes, he'd use it.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Rossfan on January 09, 2018, 05:11:20 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 09, 2018, 03:46:06 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 09, 2018, 03:39:22 PM
The new Leader has spoken
https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/mary-lou-mcdonald-breaks-silence-on-kingsmill-controversy-and-defends-punishment-of-mp-36472207.html

Maybe you could get some scientists or medical professionals to grow a spine for you?

????????
Take the loaf out of your brain space and try and make some sense😉

You haven't the backbone to confront the dirt on your beloved FF, I think you may need to develop a spine to make that step.

BennyCake

Quote from: square_ball on January 09, 2018, 02:18:58 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 09, 2018, 02:08:41 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 09, 2018, 02:00:12 PM
Quote from: Seany on January 09, 2018, 01:53:46 PM
Just remember. Barry McElduff wasn't mocking anyone. He was making fun of himself. It is not against the law for an elected representative to have a bit of fun. His voters seem to like it. He tops the poll in every election he participates in and is known for his 24 hour service to his constituents. What is utterly sickening about this is the kicking he received from fellow politicians who know him, know his anti sectarian principles and know he meant absolutely nothing to do with Kingsmills when he put that loaf of bread on his head. There was no rational or logical advantage for him to gain by mocking the victims of a sectarian outrage that even horrified senior IRA figures and happened during a ceasefire. But the poor victims and relatives were the last thing on the minds of those who decided that this would be a great piece of moral high ground to bash him around the place.

Precisely

I wonder how far back in time one would have to go for an example of when Sinn Fein and its supports actually found a Sinn Fein member doing something wrong.

Sinn Fein could put Barney the dinosaur up for election in West Tyrone and he'd still get elected. I don't think it's a ringing endorsement to say he tops the polls all the time. It's another case of voting through orange and green eyes.

They should do that. Piss the DUP off even more, as they, as creationists, presumably don't believe in dinosaurs.

Rossfan

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 09, 2018, 05:21:01 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 09, 2018, 05:11:20 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 09, 2018, 03:46:06 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 09, 2018, 03:39:22 PM
The new Leader has spoken
https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/mary-lou-mcdonald-breaks-silence-on-kingsmill-controversy-and-defends-punishment-of-mp-36472207.html

Maybe you could get some scientists or medical professionals to grow a spine for you?

????????
Take the loaf out of your brain space and try and make some sense😉

You haven't the backbone to confront the dirt on your beloved FF, I think you may need to develop a spine to make that step.
You really need to get out more.
This is the SF thread - any comment or view on Marylou's comments about Barry McEejit?