Sligeach v. Londain, 25/5/08

Started by magpie seanie, May 09, 2008, 11:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

A little over two weeks to this game. Sligo's poor league form will worry many but I'd put more store on challenge games than Sligo's league form. London will be stronger than during the league and running Clare to 4 points in their last match shows they were no mugs towards the end of the league either. They will take a scalp sooner or later, just hopefully not this year.

After a lot of thinking about it decided not to go this year. Too many other things had to get attention so this trip got squeezed.

Hoping to make Sligo's last warm up game in Dublin against the Dubs tomorrow week. I think we play Wexford this Sunday.

Sligoper

Well I'm not heading across! Work commitments! Yeah some of them cuts are expected. A very good friend of mine is on the panel and he says they are still keeping lads on and not telling them whether they are dropped or not! Here's my crack at the panel

Greene
Farrell
Doherty

Harrison
Ewing
McGuire
Naughtan / Murphy
Donovan
O'Neill
Phillips
Davey
McNamara
McGovern
B Kivlehan
E McHugh

Quinn
O'Hara
Gilmartin
Henry

Curran
Egan
S Davey
Gaughan
Kelly
Brehony
Sweeney
McPartland
Flannery
G McGowan
S Coen

Any opinions? I know i'm missing someone but can't think who.
Go on the Bunnies!

SLIGONIAN

The last time we were there we won 3-11 to 0-9. Settle for anything close to that this time. Were missing McGuire so Id expect Naughton at FB. In a recent challenge game against CAVAN our defence conceded 4 goals but we still won 2-19 to 4-7. Naughton at FB is a worry for me but should be able to cope with london.

I lost all respect for challenge game results when I seen a full strength Sligo beat a full strength Donegal in oxfield a few yrs back and then lose to Leitrim tamely 2 weeks later in CSFC. So i wont be reading too much into them.

As seanie said on club thread mcpartland is playing well for the club and quinn has got over his injury he had for longford game. Mcpartland should be pushing for start if fit but missed all of the league. I know wilson has pulled out of panel to concentrate on getting over a few injuries.

Read an excellent interview with OHARA in ydays star mag and on hoganstand. Mans self belief is unshakeable.

My starting 15 for this game would be:

Greene
Donovan
Naughton
Harrison
Phillips
Egan
J Davey
Quinn
Ohara
Curran
McNamara
Gaughan
Kelly
Flannery
Brehony

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Below are a few reports from the Wexford challenge from hoganstanders not me as I was in Leeds, some things never change though, oharas mouth  :-\and naughtons FB ability(will start against london) because we have no one else but we need mcguire back ASAP:

They won well versus Wexford. Mattie Forde didnt play. Breheny scored two good goals, kelly got a penalty. Wexford played Donegal the night before so i wouldnt think it was their full team. Gary Gaughan did well wing forward. O hara played well but needs to zip it. Couple of 40-60's we possibly shouldve got but thought was overreaction on O Hara's  Part.

I was at the game yesterday. Wexford didnt have a full team out by any means, they had played Donegal already this weekend so had their second string out yesterday. They caused a few problems but were second best to a near full strength Sligo team in the end. O'Hara could and should have been sent off, the ref actually asked the line to take him off but he refused, doesnt bode well for his discipline being tested in the Mayo game, they will get under his skin, hope he doesnt react like yesterday! Overall a solid if not spectacular performance, at least it keps us on track and winning is a good habit to be in no matter what the level of opposition. Naughton good in the air but dodgy on the ground, very slow on the turn which is not good for a full back. Hope Maguire is back for Mayo, or else Mortimer will clean Naughton! Good to see Egan at centre back, he is not 100% yet but looks comfortable enough there. Its hard to judge where we are cos the opposition was so poor, but better than the league anyway! We are getting thtere...

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 09, 2008, 11:38:44 AM

Hoping to make Sligo's last warm up game in Dublin against the Dubs tomorrow week. 
Did you make it to St Margarets for the game Seanie?

magpie seanie

Yeah, was up there on Saturday. Nice setup they have there and great potential for the future with all the lands they have and hopefully their development plans work out well. It was a grand day with a surprisngly small crowd. Still, it was great to see the young kids in their Dubs/Margarets/Isles jersies getting so close to their heros. I watched the game from close to the Dublin bench and I have to say massive credit to the Dubs for the way they put up with the endless stream of kids wanting autographs, photos etc. Poor Jayo in particular gets haunted but every single one of them were greart with the kids. It certainly must add to the frustration of being out injured or suspended!

To the game itself - it was typical challenge game fare. Sligo were missing 2 probable starters Kieran Quinn and David Kelly and Dublin were unable to call on about 11 guys through injury and suspension. Hound and the Dubs will have to forgive me in that I was more focussed on the Sligo performance but I'll report what I can. Sligo started like this - Greene, Harrison, Naughton, Donovan, McGovern, Phillips, J. Davey, Egan, O'Hara, McPartland, Breheny, Curran, Gaughan, McNamara, S. Davey. From the throw in McNamara moved out leaving a 2 man FF line for Sligo. Dublin started the better but found scores hard to come by into a stiff breeze. Sligo showed some good stuff at times and flashes of the high workrate tackling and swift attacking that are the hallmarks of this team. Gaughan at corner forward gave O'Shaughnessy a torrid time and won a lot of ball and a few frees. Henry was eventually switched over and got a better handle on the young fella but overall I'd say Gaughan impressed and should start against London. At the other end our defence was tight and Donovan was having a great battle with Brogan which the Dublin man was just shading. Naughton had a good outing on Keaney (though himself and Donovan got caught badly for the Dubs goal right at the start of the second half). Approaching the end of the first half Sligo were only level when a well worked move involving McPartland & Harrison was finished to the net by Curran. A 3 point half time lead was probably a fair reflection but it never looked like being enough - especially as the Dubs equalised 10 seconds into the second half as already mentioned. Ryan got through a power of work as usual until he was replaced. As the substitutes came in for both sides it became less and less meaningful and Dublin kicked on to take the win 1-13 to 1-8. Still - it was a good workout for both sides. There were some good hits and a fair bit of pace to proceedings. Sligo gave a half each to Davey, McPartland, Cawley and Sweeney. Of the 4 I'd rate their performances as McPartland best (I would though, wouldn't I!), then Cawley, then Davey, then Sweeney. Other subs got runs including Stephen Gilmartin and Eoin McHugh but was sad to see Karol O'Neill is still frozen out. Got 1-2 from play from wing back v. Harps on Sunday but he'll most likely not feature in London now.

Team I think will be picked for next week:

Greene, Harrison, Naughton, Donovan, McGovern, Egan, J Davey, Quinn, O'Hara, McPartland, Breheny, Curran, Gaughan, McNamara, Kelly.

I'll post up the Dublin team later - haven't got it to hand now. Don't remember goalies name, not Cluxton. Henry and O'Shaughnessy were corner backs and even though Cahill was named full back he operated mostly in the half back line. Ger Brennan also started in the half backs. Magee and Ryan were midfield. Wasn't too impressed by Magee though midfield was 50/50. Up front Alan Brogan was lively. Keaney was quiet and moved out to midfield when Ryan was taken off. Vaughan was ok. Kicked a few lovely frees but not overly involved. Tiarnan Diamond and McManamon started with the latter contributing one point that I remember at least. Hope that helps. Again - sorry but I wasn't too interested in your guys.

baoithe

Thanks for that Seanie. Was really disappointed I couldn't get out to this game in the end.
Personally I am glad to hear that Eamonn played well when he came on.
How did our midfield shape up and in particular Egan?

magpie seanie

Egan played quite well and of the lads that played in midfield from both teams caught the most clean ball. He looks to be going well. Gave and took a couple of really heavy hits. O'Hara, while not the player he was, is still good enough to mix it with most guys in that sector. He made a few trademark runs and did grand. Looks to be ticking along nicely.

SLIGONIAN

Thanks seanie for the report, interesting team selection by Jordan. Funny thing is I heard last few challenges he played kelly and j davey in two man FF line. But against Dublin reverted back to normal service of J Davey at WHB. Gaughan has really stepped up to the plate. Definitly our best u21 performer. How the lad didnt start aganst louth and longford I'll never know. Hope mcgovern has his confidence back and glad to see hes getting chances. Looks like Mcnamaras days at CHB are over which is good news but Id have egan there. I hope kelly and quinn arent injured but were just unavailable. It always seems to take mcpartland a while to get going, this he was injured alot but hopefullly is fit now. We need his strength in our forward line. Personnally I would play gaughan HF and john in the corner.

On Karl O Neill it looks like hes training for a place on the bench. Must be very frustrating. Its a sign of poor management that IMO. The lad didnt get one game all year. All the seen of him so is in training. He is not the only one. Similiar thing happened last yr with Johnny Martyn was frozed out after he got injured against waterford. He had started the league very well and it does annoy me to see players treated this way. Would it kill them to go to a few club games aswell?

Anyways look forward to discussing the team when its announced. Is it this thursday night after traiining?

magpie seanie

Quinner was just unavailble on Saturday and played for Coolera on Sunday as management wanted him to get a game under his belt. Not sure about Kelly but I heard nothing about an injury - most likely exams were his difficulty. I seem to recall he didn't go to NY last year because of exams.

Would be fairly surprised if the team I think it will be is far off the mark.

Mano

Team i would pick for Sunday would be the following.
Greene
Harrison
Naughton
Donovan
McGovern
Egan
Davey
O'Hara
Quinn
Curran
Brehony
Gaughan
Kelly
McNamara
McPartland

I would prefer to have O'Hara at centre forward but i don't think we have any other option but to play him in the middle as there are no alternatives-rest of team picks itself i think.
We wouldn't have been relegated if team above had been selected during the league. Egan, McPartland missed entire league and others missed games due to injury, suspension. While Gaughan was ignored for early part of the league as he wasn't from North Sligo where selectors seemed to be concentrating until Tony Carty came on board. I think we should win this game with a 6 or 7 points to spare after an early scare or two.

magpie seanie

Agree with your post and would be surprised if anythnig other that positional differences are in the actual team. Only reason I had Gaughan in corner and Mac at wing forward was thats where they played v. Dubs. Thankfully it looks like the team is reasonably settled just in time for championship. Think we will get a good stiff test but prevail by the margin you suggest.

Tatler Jack

Any idea what sort of team London have this year and how well they are prepared.

Hound

Quote from: Tatler Jack on May 21, 2008, 10:48:13 PM
Any idea what sort of team London have this year and how well they are prepared.
A friend of a friend plays for London. He was hoping that their championship team would be a lot better than their league team with more players being available. However, when asked this week as to whether they'd be worth a punt on an upset given their long odds, the reply was a short and simple "No".

SLIGONIAN

Theyll probably have a different squad for the championship than the league alright with the influx of some decent players. Daniel Davey on our squad this yr played for london last yr and unless there is massive changes from last yr he should be able to let the management team know what there like. So no slip ups.