Dublin v Mayo, Croke Park, March 20 (or maybe the 18th, you wouldn't know).

Started by IolarCoisCuain, March 14, 2011, 10:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: REDCOL on March 20, 2011, 09:17:33 PM
Just watched the match again three of the goals came from turnovers from Aidan Campbell. He adds a physical presence but his distribution is shocking and is clearly not a consistent free taker or point scorer. He lost a world of ball all through.

The fourth goal came from Kevin Mc Loughlin not tracking a runner for the second match running, while Kevin is a fine player he cannot forget his defensive duties.
The positives are the performance of the two inside men who caused havoc.

Hmmm, where did we see McLoughlin 'forget' to track a man before, oh yes against Armagh and Paul Duffy! >:(

I also agree with Sligonian on Roscommon being favourites for Connacht. I do think we should have enough to beat Galway and London. And if it is Ros we're playing it'll be squeaky-bum time for those on seats in Hyde Park... Ros are on a roll at the moment remember.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross matt

Quote from: ludermor on March 21, 2011, 04:34:06 PM
Quote from: ross matt on March 21, 2011, 08:18:11 AM
I like the way this thread has been hijacked in to "which Connacht county can talk themselves down the most"....

It's Mayo's title to lose no matter how much they say otherwise. They've  a young intelligent manager who is experimenting with various lineouts of successful underage sides and still managing not to get hammered in div 1. Horan is totally focussed on the championship and will deliver I think.

If a mayo supporter said that you would be the first to say they were over confident and cocky!!
True Luder but its ok for a Rossie to say it :)!

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 21, 2011, 05:11:41 PM
Just watched the match again three of the goals came from turnovers from Aidan Campbell. He adds a physical presence but his distribution is shocking and is clearly not a consistent free taker or point scorer. He lost a world of ball all through.

The fourth goal came from Kevin Mc Loughlin not tracking a runner for the second match running, while Kevin is a fine player he cannot forget his defensive duties.

Hmmm, where did we see McLoughlin 'forget' to track a man before, oh yes against Armagh and Paul Duffy! >:(

I also agree with Sligonian on Roscommon being favourites for Connacht. I do think we should have enough to beat Galway and London. And if it is Ros we're playing it'll be squeaky-bum time for those on seats in Hyde Park... Ros are on a roll at the moment remember.

You'll probably play in Hyde park but vs Sligo instead.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

INDIANA

Roscommon are not good enough to beat Mayo yet. Down the line that may change. Mayo are in much better shape then last year in my view.

Tubberman

A very strange game on Sunday.
When the fourth Dublin goal went in, I actually laughed things had got to such a ridiculous level - our attempts at defending were abysmal.
When I saw the team that was named, I didn't actually believe that Chris Barrett would line out at full back. It made no sense to put a guy that size in such a position, and particularly against such a physically big and strong forward line.
He was turned so easily for one of the goals, was completely on the wrong side of his man who just brushed past him as if he wasn't there.
Then there was Gardiner's outstretched arm which wouldn't have stopped an empty tayto bag in a breeze. Robbie Hennelly is usually very assured, but does have a tendency to stray from goal too much. He completely misjudged the ball for the fourth goal and got nowhere near it.
But as others have said, the problems in the defence weren't all of their own doing. There was little to no pressure put on Dublin further out the field.
Even during this awful period, we were creating decent scoring opportunties but kicked some brutal 'same ould Mayo' wides.
It's hard to judge how much of the comeback was down to the Mayo lads upping their performance, and down to Dublin easing off.
The 5 points in a row seemed to be down to Dublin allowing our men much more time to settle themselves and take their scores, but in fairness, the Mayo lads put some very nice moves together. Freeman could have even had a couple of first half goals to his name.
Freeman and Doherty provide something that Mayo haven't had for years - I don't think I remember Mayo ever having two natural goal scorers in a full-forward line. But it's 'only the league' so we shouldn't build them up too much, although Freeman has proven championship form from last year.

On the team selection debate, I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. Horan is sticking to the policy of trying out as many combinations as possible, and the match results are of secondary importance. That's his decision to make, if it works in getting our strongest unit out for Championship, I don't think many will complain.
But it was still pretty hard to figure out the logic of Barrett at full back, and to a lesser extent Gardiner as a sweeper.

Hallinan or Alan Feeney (possibly Killeen deserves another run) should be pole position for FB now. It will be interesting to see if Vaughan goes to CHB when he returns with Caff back to FB again - I would prefer not to move Cafferkey back again.

Parsons seems to have played himself onto the team after his cameo against Down, then off the team again after his last couple of displays. The majority of his displays have been poor or anonymous. Hoping for one of his far-to-seldom big displays isn't work the risk.
Kilcullen has the physique for it but hasn't really impressed me when I've seen him this year.
I think McGarrity (who thankfully is back to his best) and Gibbons is our best pairing at the moment. Hopefully Seamus O'Shea will be back for either the Cork or Monaghan games to show if he can push himself into the reckoning. Aidan lorded it v Ros in the U21s but I'd have my doubts about how he'd get on there against an experienced senior pairing.

Dillon isn't playing great this league, but I wouldn't be overly concerned. He's proven himself enough over the year, I'd trust him to be on form when it really matters. Andy continues to impress during the league, but he's done that before. I won't be convinced until his does it during the championship.

I think our strongest 15 could be something like:
1. Hennelly
2. Hallinan
3. A Feeney
4. K Higgins
5. R Feeney
6. Cafferkey
7. Vaughan
8. McGarrity
9. Gibbons
10. K McLoughlin
11. A O'Shea
12. A Dillon
13. A Moran
14. A Freeman
15. J Doherty
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: INDIANA on March 21, 2011, 08:25:43 PM

Roscommon are not good enough to beat Mayo yet. Down the line that may change. Mayo are in much better shape then last year in my view.
Explain that pls, werent mayo heading towards a NFL1 final this time last yr but yet you see them in far better shape..

And your comment that roscommon are not good enough to beat mayo is based on not seeing roscommon at all and seeing mayo once yday.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

INDIANA

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 21, 2011, 09:46:49 PM

Explain that pls, werent mayo heading towards a NFL1 final this time last yr but yet you see them in far better shape..

And your comment that roscommon are not good enough to beat mayo is based on not seeing roscommon at all and seeing mayo once yday.

That forward line Mayo had yesterday will do damage against anyone. If mayo can shore up the backs I expect to see them in Croker in August.

Div 4 is too low a base in my view. I'll put it to you like this. Had Mayo played Roscommon last year I think Mayo would have won. 

Roscommon wouldnt have any fear of playing Sligo even though on paper Sligo are far superior. Tradition in my view still counts for something.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: INDIANA on March 21, 2011, 10:04:37 PM

That forward line Mayo had yesterday will do damage against anyone. If mayo can shore up the backs I expect to see them in Croker in August.

Div 4 is too low a base in my view. I'll put it to you like this. Had Mayo played Roscommon last year I think Mayo would have won. 

Roscommon wouldnt have any fear of playing Sligo even though on paper Sligo are far superior. Tradition in my view still counts for something.
Sorry to be a pain but why do you think tradition still counts for something? I agree but im interested to hear your take on it. Interesting view on mayo forwards consdering they werre up against a second string dublin backs and a dublin team that took its foot firmly off the pedal.

INDIANA

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 21, 2011, 10:12:33 PM

Sorry to be a pain but why do you think tradition still counts for something? I agree but im interested to hear your take on it. Interesting view on mayo forwards consdering they werre up against a second string dublin backs and a dublin team that took its foot firmly off the pedal.

Freeman was class last year.

I've seen Doherty play Sigerson this year and was impressed.

Add Andy moran and Dillon and thats a serious forward line. They are strong at midfield as well. So thats a good starting point. But the problem is the backs. they were worse then us in the backs yesterday and thats saying something.

On paper Sligo are jt favourites for Connacht with Mayo. But Sligo's biggest problem is themselves. They have to believe.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: INDIANA on March 21, 2011, 10:21:24 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 21, 2011, 10:12:33 PM

Freeman was class last year.

I've seen Doherty play Sigerson this year and was impressed.

Add Andy moran and Dillon and thats a serious forward line. They are strong at midfield as well. So thats a good starting point. But the problem is the backs. they were worse then us in the backs yesterday and thats saying something.

On paper Sligo are jt favourites for Connacht with Mayo. But Sligo's biggest problem is themselves. They have to believe.

I wouldnt be a Mayo fan but how in the name of science is Sligo joint favourites to win Connacht?

moysider

Quote from: Tubberman on March 21, 2011, 08:41:00 PM
A very strange game on Sunday.
When the fourth Dublin goal went in, I actually laughed things had got to such a ridiculous level - our attempts at defending were abysmal.
When I saw the team that was named, I didn't actually believe that Chris Barrett would line out at full back. It made no sense to put a guy that size in such a position, and particularly against such a physically big and strong forward line.
He was turned so easily for one of the goals, was completely on the wrong side of his man who just brushed past him as if he wasn't there.
Then there was Gardiner's outstretched arm which wouldn't have stopped an empty tayto bag in a breeze. Robbie Hennelly is usually very assured, but does have a tendency to stray from goal too much. He completely misjudged the ball for the fourth goal and got nowhere near it.
But as others have said, the problems in the defence weren't all of their own doing. There was little to no pressure put on Dublin further out the field.
Even during this awful period, we were creating decent scoring opportunties but kicked some brutal 'same ould Mayo' wides.
It's hard to judge how much of the comeback was down to the Mayo lads upping their performance, and down to Dublin easing off.
The 5 points in a row seemed to be down to Dublin allowing our men much more time to settle themselves and take their scores, but in fairness, the Mayo lads put some very nice moves together. Freeman could have even had a couple of first half goals to his name.
Freeman and Doherty provide something that Mayo haven't had for years - I don't think I remember Mayo ever having two natural goal scorers in a full-forward line. But it's 'only the league' so we shouldn't build them up too much, although Freeman has proven championship form from last year.

On the team selection debate, I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. Horan is sticking to the policy of trying out as many combinations as possible, and the match results are of secondary importance. That's his decision to make, if it works in getting our strongest unit out for Championship, I don't think many will complain.
But it was still pretty hard to figure out the logic of Barrett at full back, and to a lesser extent Gardiner as a sweeper.

Hallinan or Alan Feeney (possibly Killeen deserves another run) should be pole position for FB now. It will be interesting to see if Vaughan goes to CHB when he returns with Caff back to FB again - I would prefer not to move Cafferkey back again.

Parsons seems to have played himself onto the team after his cameo against Down, then off the team again after his last couple of displays. The majority of his displays have been poor or anonymous. Hoping for one of his far-to-seldom big displays isn't work the risk.
Kilcullen has the physique for it but hasn't really impressed me when I've seen him this year.
I think McGarrity (who thankfully is back to his best) and Gibbons is our best pairing at the moment. Hopefully Seamus O'Shea will be back for either the Cork or Monaghan games to show if he can push himself into the reckoning. Aidan lorded it v Ros in the U21s but I'd have my doubts about how he'd get on there against an experienced senior pairing.

Dillon isn't playing great this league, but I wouldn't be overly concerned. He's proven himself enough over the year, I'd trust him to be on form when it really matters. Andy continues to impress during the league, but he's done that before. I won't be convinced until his does it during the championship.

I think our strongest 15 could be something like:
1. Hennelly
2. Hallinan
3. A Feeney
4. K Higgins
5. R Feeney
6. Cafferkey
7. Vaughan
8. McGarrity
9. Gibbons
10. K McLoughlin
11. A O'Shea
12. A Dillon
13. A Moran
14. A Freeman
15. J Doherty

You re making a lot of sense Tubberman. Wouldn t disagree too much with your selection either.

There are positions that I m not sure about. I would like to see more of Alan Feeney at 3. Hallihan I expected to get more time there too. He has looked assured anytime I ve seen him so I m wondering why JH would have asked Barrett to mark a much bigger man with Hallihan cooling his heels. Strange. Does Horan not think he s up to it? I wonder would Kevin Keane have figured if he hadn t got injured?

Going back to yesterday s game again, maybe we should factor in the Croke Park thing. The pitch does suit our game when we are in possession but from a backs point of view its a whole different proposition from playing away in a heavy, tighter, provincial ground. At least they ll have learned something. You really need a whole different approach playing there. If you dont keep it tight at the start you re gone. Horan was right to play a sweeper - but choose the wrong guy. We did not need another attacking wing back playing like you might an extra man if the opposition has a man sent off. Maybe Hallihan was the man or free up Keith Higgins to do it. If I was taking back a forward to do it I would get Andy to do it though on reflection he would probably be better suited to a free role around the middle.

Still some time left before a championship team emerges I feel and we may well be guessing right up to the announcement of the first ch team in a few positions. For what it is worth this is what I would like to see although I concede it will be different in a number of personnel.

Clarke,
Cunniffe,
eenie, meenie,  miny or moe ( I don t know what they are thinking and I m confused myself too)
Higgins
Feeney
Cafferkey
Burke
McGar
O Sé/O Sé
Campbell
Dillon
McLough
Andy/O Sé
Freeman
Doherty

Depending on fellas getttin back their appetite and gettin fit again we could have good options in a few months. I would actually like to see a rejuvenated Trevor back in the panel. Harte might be a few months away yet. Vaughan, Howley and Barrett are going to be pressing for places but maybe not fullback. There's Alan Feeey and Hallihan and Kilcullen,Parsons and Gibbons. Barry Moran could be the joker in the pack come championship.
I d be a bit worried about our inside forwards if anything happens Freeman again. Doherty has had a great start but will be a marked man from now on and may need to take a handy point or two to add to his game. The other 'smaller' forwards in the panel seem to be easily taken out of games and seem to have fallen out of favour.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ross4life on March 21, 2011, 04:51:14 PM
You Mayo fans need a little perspective

last two results..Mayo 1-10 Armagh 2-10, Dublin 4-15 Mayo 3-13 & this place is panic stations!

Try these results we got in 2008, Dublin 3-20 Roscommon 0-7, Armagh 4-20 Roscommon 0-8

last two results..Mayo 1-10 Armagh 2-10, Dublin 4-15 Mayo 3-13 & this place is panic stations!

Try these results we got in 2008, Dublin 3-20 Roscommon 0-7, Armagh 4-20 Roscommon 0-8
You are right, ya know.
Maybe we tend to lose the plot a bit when things aren't going to our liking. Still, it's just good. clean fun and we wouldn't swap our new man for anything. (Well, not just yet..)
Mayo are team building for just a few months now and there is a long hard road to go yet before we can make any sort of judgement on James and his managerial skills. (Ya couldn't say the same about his predecessor unfortunately but sin scéal eile.)
A seasoned oul' Dub supporter put it to me as we were leaving the ground yesterday that the big difference between the teams yesterday was that Pat Gilroy had a head start of two years of team building on James Horan and we should look at the positive aspects of our game yesterday and make the appropriate allowances.
Right now, I'd settle for a Connacht title for this year and take anything else as a bonus. And Connacht could be very interesting indeed. League form won't count for much this year. Ross have a very handy side and will put it up to anyone- west of the Shannon anyway.
Sligo haven't gone away either. Walsh will have a job getting his side to put the trauma of the last final behind them but he is an old hand at the managerial game by now and if anyone can get Sligo focused again, he is the man for the job.
Connacht is a three-horse race this year- make no mistake about that.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 21, 2011, 11:19:34 PM

You are right, ya know.
Maybe we tend to lose the plot a bit when things aren't going to our liking. Still, it's just good. clean fun and we wouldn't swap our new man for anything. (Well, not just yet..)
Mayo are team building for just a few months now and there is a long hard road to go yet before we can make any sort of judgement on James and his managerial skills. (Ya couldn't say the same about his predecessor unfortunately but sin scéal eile.)
A seasoned oul' Dub supporter put it to me as we were leaving the ground yesterday that the big difference between the teams yesterday was that Pat Gilroy had a head start of two years of team building on James Horan and we should look at the positive aspects of our game yesterday and make the appropriate allowances.
Right now, I'd settle for a Connacht title for this year and take anything else as a bonus. And Connacht could be very interesting indeed. League form won't count for much this year. Ross have a very handy side and will put it up to anyone- west of the Shannon anyway.
Sligo haven't gone away either. Walsh will have a job getting his side to put the trauma of the last final behind them but he is an old hand at the managerial game by now and if anyone can get Sligo focused again, he is the man for the job.

Ok, so that s Galway and what other two Lar? Roscommon and Sligo I assume based on being further along the road as regards development and last years championship? But I think it s a bit premature to dismiss Mayo.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: moysider on March 21, 2011, 11:30:22 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 21, 2011, 11:19:34 PM

You are right, ya know.

Ok, so that s Galway and what other two Lar? Roscommon and Sligo I assume based on being further along the road as regards development and last years championship? But I think it s a bit premature to dismiss Mayo.
No hes definitly on about galway, mayo and roscommon for sure.