Super 8 or Stupid 8

Started by Croí na hÉireann, February 23, 2017, 03:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you for or against the Super 8 proposal?

Super 8 (For)
7 (16.7%)
Stupid 8 (Against)
35 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: March 02, 2017, 03:56:05 PM

Zulu

What does it matter? Would coming from one type of county increase or decrease the validity of my points?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on March 05, 2017, 08:58:41 PM
What does it matter? Would coming from one type of county increase or decrease the validity of my points?

From the Bunker

Zulu, If it does not matter!

Tell us your county!

manfromdelmonte

He's from Offaly, I would think

Rossfan

He's a Rhubarb but is ashamed to admit it. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

To be fair I don't know what would or wouldn't pass congress. I didn't think something like S8 would so it shows what I know. I don't think it's a huge leap to suggest there is a huge money making incentive to it. I'm not clear as to how it helps club fixtures either. It just appears to me like they've just squeezed a few extra games into the calendar. Maybe I'm missing something.

As you say if it's only part of a few other motions to improve things we'll have to wait and see. However there is still going to be a gulf in class between the top 3 or 4 teams and the rest. I don't know how quick the extra money will solve that problem. I don't know how long people will keep turning up to S8 games when they have little chance of winning all the while feeling like they're being taken for a ride by the GAA for a bit more of their money.

Not having a go at Zulu or anyone who supports S8, those are just my concerns.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

Also I don't care what county you're from.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

From the Bunker

Well he does care to let us know where he is from!

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

The only reason it has been brought in is to cover over dwindling attendances. Another 5 to 10 years of Dublin dominance interspersed with the odd Kerry upset will see attendances fall further and then we might get some proper reform.
Of course that will be post Rugby world cup and with extra money for soccer development coming in from better tv deals then the GAA will slip a long way in comparison with the other codes before anything is done.

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 05, 2017, 09:01:22 PM

Tell us your county!

It only seems to matter to you FtB so can you tell me why?

Zulu

Quote from: thejuice on March 05, 2017, 09:03:57 PM
To be fair I don't know what would or wouldn't pass congress. I didn't think something like S8 would so it shows what I know. I don't think it's a huge leap to suggest there is a huge money making incentive to it. I'm not clear as to how it helps club fixtures either. It just appears to me like they've just squeezed a few extra games into the calendar. Maybe I'm missing something.

As you say if it's only part of a few other motions to improve things we'll have to wait and see. However there is still going to be a gulf in class between the top 3 or 4 teams and the rest. I don't know how quick the extra money will solve that problem. I don't know how long people will keep turning up to S8 games when they have little chance of winning all the while feeling like they're being taken for a ride by the GAA for a bit more of their money.

Not having a go at Zulu or anyone who supports S8, those are just my concerns.

thejuice, I don't think the super 8 is brilliant. I accept it doesn't solve a lot of things but it was never promoted that it did. I think the current format is very stale and this will go some way towards addressing that. Clubs in all but 4 (max) counties now have all of August and September to play championship, surely that's a help? Having the best teams play each other a bit more while not negatively impacting on clubs is surely a good thing especially when part of the extra revenue goes to those counties?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on March 05, 2017, 09:12:52 PM

Tell us your county!

Well it would give me a greater perspective of where you are looking from as a GAA fan. Perspectives are different in different Counties and different Provinces. You clearly have an issue with revealing this. Your Prerogative.

thejuice

Quote from: hardstation on March 05, 2017, 09:20:18 PM
I always thought Zulu was English.

No the redcoats were the English

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 05, 2017, 09:23:03 PM

Tell us your county!

Well it would give me a greater perspective of where you are looking from as a GAA fan. Perspectives are different in different Counties and different Provinces. You clearly have an issue with revealing this. Your Prerogative.

Lets just say I'm from one of the counties that won't win an All Ireland in your or my lifetime. When you talk about weak counties then you're taking very much about my county. I played for my county (good few years ago now) and I know better than most what it's like at the bottom rung. One year I was playing in the first round of the minor provincial championship and when we arrived there was no manager, jerseys or footballs as he was coming on a different bus with the other half of the squad.

I'd love to see more done for weaker counties but they must also help themselves. I can tell you as a kid I was inspired by players from other counties as we had no heroes ourselves so I firmly believe having more big games can help all counties and inspire greater effort from young players.

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on March 05, 2017, 09:58:47 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 05, 2017, 09:23:03 PM

Tell us your county!

Lets just say I'm from one of the counties that won't win an All Ireland in your or my lifetime. When you talk about weak counties then you're taking very much about my county.

Great.
Another flourbag.
If you were any use you'd be playing.