Super 8 or Stupid 8

Started by Croí na hÉireann, February 23, 2017, 03:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you for or against the Super 8 proposal?

Super 8 (For)
7 (16.7%)
Stupid 8 (Against)
35 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: March 02, 2017, 03:56:05 PM

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on March 04, 2017, 01:02:05 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on March 04, 2017, 12:16:28 PM
This thread should have been pulled at the first post. The question isn't even accurate, which is some achievement. Then we see lads wanting to juts put some counties in other provinces. What percentage would've voted that in do you think?

The percentage that vote for these proposals depends on (a) how by the balls a CB is in debt and (b) wanting to keep Grantasaurus Rex in Jones' Road happy.

Because change goddamn well doesn't happen in the GAA because a democratic majority of members support it..

Keep telling yourself that. This paranoid nonsense is really baffling.

Rossfan

Aww Zulu don't be wasting your time reading or replying to syfernonsense.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on March 04, 2017, 06:43:22 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 04, 2017, 01:02:05 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on March 04, 2017, 12:16:28 PM
This thread should have been pulled at the first post. The question isn't even accurate, which is some achievement. Then we see lads wanting to juts put some counties in other provinces. What percentage would've voted that in do you think?

The percentage that vote for these proposals depends on (a) how by the balls a CB is in debt and (b) wanting to keep Grantasaurus Rex in Jones' Road happy.

Because change goddamn well doesn't happen in the GAA because a democratic majority of members support it..

Keep telling yourself that. This paranoid nonsense is really baffling.

Anyone who thinks it's paranoia is incredibly insulated and naive when it comes to how CBs work.

Zulu

I know how they work, you clearly don't.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on March 04, 2017, 08:06:41 PM
I know how they work, you clearly don't.

Your response was essentially 'No u'.

Zulu

Eh? You're the one posting juvenile nonsense about how the GAA want to set up everything to help Dublin because, I guess, they bring a big crowd? You genuinely think CB's like Kerry and Tyrone voted for the super 8's because GAA central council bribed them?

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on March 04, 2017, 08:13:36 PM
Eh? You're the one posting juvenile nonsense about how the GAA want to set up everything to help Dublin because, I guess, they bring a big crowd? You genuinely think CB's like Kerry and Tyrone voted for the super 8's because GAA central council bribed them?

No one is talking about the counties who will be fattened from the exercise voting for it and well you know it.

Zulu

Ok, so when you were talking about CB's you weren't talking about all CB's, just some CB's? So these CB's voted for this because they'd get more money, is that right? Other CB's voted for it why? Help me out here as I'm trying to follow your logic that everything is set up by non-Dub GAA men to suit Dublin because they want to see them win everything.

thejuice

Sorry Zulu but I'm not sure where you're coming from with this.

Maybe I'm wrong but going back to basics, what problems was super8 supposed to solve?

I thought the problem was that there were too many county games and that was disrupting club competitions.

Also the other problem was that the championship was going stale.

So that's why I thought bringing the league into the summer would free up more weekends for the clubs and colleges. players would have more time to build up for the summer and perhaps Ease the burden on them.

Also I think bringing it back to a straight knockout it would be more competitive and 8 teams in each province it would be easier to run and also fairer. Though unlikely based on our location I'd be just as happy if Meath won a provincial title in another province as winning Leinster. There would be bigger turnouts at league games due to being in the summer and the fact that teams are at their peak at that time of year with big teams clashing should be more enticing.

Also it might also mean that earlier in the year people won't have to choose between going to see club or county teams.

But perhaps these aren't the problems Congress are trying to solve. Can you fill me in?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Zulu

Quote from: thejuice on March 05, 2017, 07:00:04 PM
Sorry Zulu but I'm not sure where you're coming from with this.

Maybe I'm wrong but going back to basics, what problems was super8 supposed to solve?

I thought the problem was that there were too many county games and that was disrupting club competitions.

Also the other problem was that the championship was going stale.

So that's why I thought bringing the league into the summer would free up more weekends for the clubs and colleges. players would have more time to build up for the summer and perhaps Ease the burden on them.

Also I think bringing it back to a straight knockout it would be more competitive and 8 teams in each province it would be easier to run and also fairer. Though unlikely based on our location I'd be just as happy if Meath won a provincial title in another province as winning Leinster. There would be bigger turnouts at league games due to being in the summer and the fact that teams are at their peak at that time of year with big teams clashing should be more enticing.

Also it might also mean that earlier in the year people won't have to choose between going to see club or county teams.

But perhaps these aren't the problems Congress are trying to solve. Can you fill me in?

thejuice, I don't disagree with the logic of your system. My own proposed format was starting the leagues later, getting rid of the provincials and playing the championship as a straight knockout with teams seeded by league position with seed 1 playing seed 32 in round one and so on. I'd argue my format solves loads of the issues as well but like yours, won't get passed in congress. In fact, if we were to put our formats to the GAAboard posters then they'd both probably fail to get the level of support needed to pass through congress. So, there's no point criticising the super 8 but proposing alternative formats that won't get through congress.

The super 8's doesn't tackle every problem, it's simply a step in the right direction. Of course it's flawed but so would any alternative. The super 8 was part of a trilogy of central council motions that creates more time for the clubs, more structure around the championship and more big games between the best teams. It also gives provincial winners a second chance and brings big games to provincial venues at a time when they are usually ideal. Finally, a significant portion of the extra revenue will be given to the weaker counties. Surely that's enough positives for it to be given a chance?

From the Bunker

Zulu is a WUM! That is the only answer. He continues to tell us how great Super 8 is, while at no stage giving an example where it improve things!

He won't even say what county he's from?

Zulu

Is that the best you can come up with FtB? Considering you've pretty much said nothing of note bar that everything is about helping the Dubs?

I've listed the improvements by the way just read my previous post but the main point is that change is needed and that change had to be something that would pass congress so the proposal by its very nature wouldn't seek to address everything.

From the Bunker

YES Super 8 is all about Dublin and Croke Park (and making more money for the GAA)! What else could it be about?

Still no word from you as to what county you are from? Big secret?

Zulu

In your opinion it is, that doesn't make it so. As I've already pointed out, much of the extra revenue will go to the weaker counties so why you ignore that reality can only be cause it doesn't sit with your agenda. If we are to believe you then anything that provides more games between the best teams (a central element to every other sport's competition format) is about the Dubs and nothing else. That's patently nonsense.

From the Bunker

WHAT COUNTY ARE YOU FROM ZULU?