Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Quote from: paddyjohn on January 01, 2019, 08:42:03 AM
Happy New Year lads & ladies. Keep talking, keep smiling and don't let anything stand in your way.

Good man PJ, thats the spirit. Some great advice earlier about joining different clubs etc to meet new people.

Walter Cronc

Anyone ever have issues with work getting you down?

The past 6 months have been a bit of a struggle - worrying about what if's/lack of sleep etc.

It all came from a problem I had with a job (work in construction) and confidence has suffered as a result.

Thinking of a job change/work for myself as I feel overstretched in consultancy role.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 07, 2019, 04:48:28 PM

The past 6 months have been a bit of a struggle - worrying about what if's/lack of sleep etc.

It all came from a problem I had with a job (work in construction) and confidence has suffered as a result.

Thinking of a job change/work for myself as I feel overstretched in consultancy role.

I've had issues with this. Totally fried my head last summer. Got a promotion and tried to hard to impress, ended up making 3/4 big mistakes and it really shattered my self confidence and the self doubting was unreal.

I took a step back and weighed up my options, and decided to stay put. Gradually I started to make amends and slowed the process down and things have fine since. None of us can change the world and work, although it pays the bills is only small on the grand scheme of things.

Boycey

I can relate to that, the last few years at my job have been nearly unbearable. A long story, I've basically been backed into a corner where I'm all things to this business, accountant, manager, IT person you f**king name it I do it. I've also got a financial interest in it without being the owner making it difficult to leave. I'm  50 and despite having loads of qualifications find it hard to see where I can place myself in the working world to get the wage I require/need

It got to me a couple of years back and basically didn't sleep for a year, but with medication I sleep now but still find myself under pressure and worrying. (mostly unnecessarily). The simple thing to do is give it up but what then?

Insane Bolt

If a job is stressing you out my advice is to change jobs. I used to run my own business but ended up working 7 days a week to try and get a living....many a week I paid my employees and went home with very little. I started to drink more and it had knock on affect with family life. I made a decision to walk away from the business.....closed it one Saturday afternoon. I got a job as a postman....loved it.....now work in social care.....money isn't great but it's enough to do me at my time of life. Hope you get sorted.

Tony Baloney

Been there done that. Feeling trapped in a job/relationship is a common source of depression. It came to a head for me as the only way out I could see was to work elsewhere but it had to be on similar or better money. I did a phone interview with another company for slightly better money but more of a commute (which in hindsight would probably have been a worse move) and told my boss about it and that I wasn't happy with current workload and pressures. He obviously told the chief and I got pulled into his office. Got a pay rise and more staff to support me but we are a big company and not everyone can do that.

It's a cliche but this thread is all about talking about it. You'll not change anything by keeping it to yourself and not sleeping at night. Everyone makes mistakes so I would assume there is more to it than just that mistake.

Eamonnca1

My work situation has been getting me down for the best part of a year. I've done something about it and I'm starting at a different company on Monday, a company that's making a bit of money and offers better career prospects, plus a shorter commute.

Insane Bolt

Work to live......not live to work. Life's too short.

RedHand88

Quote from: Insane Bolt on January 07, 2019, 08:51:49 PM
Work to live......not live to work. Life's too short.

This.

Walter Cronc

Cheers for the responses guys.

I think a major reason has been working overseas, away from family for this best part of 3-4 years now.

Have began to take steps to move home (purchased a house) with the aim of moving back in 2020.

Having a goal/aim is certainly beneficial.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 08, 2019, 09:04:59 AM

I think a major reason has been working overseas, away from family for this best part of 3-4 years now.

Have began to take steps to move home (purchased a house) with the aim of moving back in 2020.

I honestly don't think I could work away from home. I've done it a few times for no more than a week and I struggled badly.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: paddyjohn on January 08, 2019, 09:39:36 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 08, 2019, 09:04:59 AM

I honestly don't think I could work away from home. I've done it a few times for no more than a week and I struggled badly.

I've no kids PJ, just the girlfriend so a lot of fellas are having a tougher struggle than myself.

Fair played to any man who has a young family and can do it.

Mayo4Sam

Walter there's plenty of construction jobs at home now. A real shortage, you could nearly name your price. Specifically there's a ball of work in Abbvie in Sligo, it's the plant on the Bundoran road so might be suitable for Derry if you wanted to be at home. Alternatively it's impossible to get trades or engineers in Dublin. If you want to drop me a DM I could put you in touch with people
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Walter Cronc

Cheers M4S. I have made contact with a few firms in Belfast and Dublin.

Willing to do another year away and it suits the other half and her work.

Thanks again lads!

seafoid

Shane Carthy: 'I was two years wearing that mask, but internally I was crumbling'

Dublin footballer on the challenges of tackling his mental health issues

about 8 hours ago

Ian O'Riordan

0

Shane Carty in actin during last year's O'Byrne Cup. "I'm absolutely touched by all the messages and well wishes, and more importantly to hear of someone who has gone out and sought help now." Photograph: Bryan Keane/Inpho    
Shane Carty in actin during last year's O'Byrne Cup. "I'm absolutely touched by all the messages and well wishes, and more importantly to hear of someone who has gone out and sought help now." Photograph: Bryan Keane/Inpho

 

AddThis Sharing Buttons

Share to Facebook

Share to Twitter

Share to Email App

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/shane-carthy-i-was-two-years-wearing-that-mask-but-internally-i-was-crumbling-1.3750462

The last thing Shane Carthy wants or expects right now is to walk back on to the Dublin panel.

Not with his utterly changed perspective on life and football and everything else in between. Or indeed his heightened sense of what exactly constitutes success.

What he does want, and expects of himself, is to give it his best shot, and whether that's good enough time will tell.

In the meantime the telling of his story, his crippling and at times terrifying experience with depression in the aftermath of Dublin's All-Ireland winning success of 2013, to breaking point a year later, aged only 19 and the rising star of the county under-21 team, has been proving both therapeutic and rewarding.

It has been the latter in helping him realise how fortunate he's been to come through it all, including the good and bad days with Dublin football.

Six days before Christmas, in a lengthy online blog, Carthy wrote frankly and eloquently about his journey over the last four and a half years.

It detailed, without overdramatising, the downward spiral which, days after producing a man-of-the-match display in Dublin's 2014 Leinster under-21 final win over Meath, saw him wake up in St Patrick's Mental Hospital.

Only then did he begin to face up to "the inner demons I had kept away from for many years".

Under the very deliberate headline 'I'm No Longer Surviving, I'm Living!', Carthy also explains what ultimately brought him back to where he is now, just turned 24 and more determined to ever to revive his football career with Dublin.

"The first intention with the blog was to busy myself, to give something back to myself, positively, and maybe further afield in the sporting community," says Carthy, who in November completed a Sports Science degree in DCU, and is currently on a year out.

"I'd already done some talks on mental health and depression in schools and clubs, but they're limited to those present, whereas with the blog people could read and maybe relate to it at any time.

Sought help

"It completely surpassed that, in terms of what I expected, the scale of the response and reaction I really can't believe. And in such a good way.

"I'm absolutely touched by all the messages and well wishes, and more importantly to hear of someone who has gone out and sought help now, on the back of it, or just something that might have resonated from the blog. I also wanted people to know there's lot of people out there that depression touches."

Carthy will, along with distance runner Kevin Dooney and ironman triathlete Gerard Prendergast. also be part of a three-person panel discussion this Saturday as part of the First Fortnight festival, the charity organisation aimed at challenging mental health prejudice through the creative arts and spoken word.

Carthy will further outline some of the mental health issues specific to sport, especially for any athlete or player seemingly at the top of the game, which for the male in particular can sometimes be more difficult to face up to.

From the outside, Carthy had it all in 2014.

Playing with Naomh Mearnóg club, in north Dublin, already an All-Ireland minor winner with Dublin, in 2012, he was called into Jim Gavin's senior panel in 2013 and that year playing scintillating football for the Dublin's U-21s at centre forward.

The team that featured Jack McCaffrey, Brian Fenton, Paul Mannion, John Small, Cormac Costello, amongst others, went on to win that 2014 All-Ireland U-21 title in his absence.

"I was two years wearing that mask, but internally I was crumbling, "he says. "Football was the only thing covering it up, as long as I was training, playing.

"And it relates to where I'm at right now, because for the last few years, I've been in and out of Dublin championship panels, and that in itself can be a huge low.

But because I'm educated now in how my minds works, and the emotions naturally attached to this, I'm able to control it, whereas before, I didn't know how to handle those emotions, couldn't handle them.

"It became an ever worsening situation, whereas now I know how to put a positive spin on it, something I can deal with. It was hard to accept that at the time, when the lows were very low, but I've come out the other side now, better and stronger for it. From sporting, academic, and personal points of view."

Difficult moments

He no longer fears the highs or the lows, as long as he feels he can control them. Carthy was invited back onto the Dublin panel in early 2018, featuring in four league games, only be to be dropped again for summer. Instead of letting that get him down, he spent what he felt was an overdue summer in America, playing football for a club in San Francisco, and that gave his fresh perspective again.

"I was involved again for the 2018 league, and again let go, and these are difficult moments for everyone. Football has given me so much, and I'm thankful for that, and playing football in the US last summer was a great experience. That negative turned positive straightaway.

And football definitely is still a big motivation for me, I always strive to be the best I can be, whether I get back there or not, I'll never stop. This year it may have to be at club level, but I want Jim Gavin to know that if or when that call might come, I'll be ready, and I'm staying ready.

Advertisement

"I enjoy the training, and that motivation to get back involved is a part of it as well, to be a part of the huge success the lads have had over the last number of years. But that's not the sole focus of why I do it. It's the feeling as well of accomplishing something at training. Everyone can relate to that.

"From a physical standpoint, I'm absolutely on top of that, and for this time of year, January, I'm training as hard as I can, I've a huge goal to make it back into Jim's plans. I'm doing everything I can, but outside of football as well, just going to the Phoenix Park for a run or a cycle, because exercise in general has been huge in my recovery, and still is."

And after surviving, he says, the critical part now is to focus on the living again. "And I was just surviving, by the skin of my teeth actually, and wasn't living. Only now after I've got the help I needed do I feel like I'm living again, and that's why I feel I'm in a good position to impact people.

"There is also that sense 'if I knew then what I know now'. And I'm still seeing a psychologist, spaced out now to about once a month, and that's the path we're taking, to be the more independent, make it my own recovery. I'm not putting any pressure on myself either.

"It could take six months, or six years, but eventually I will get that independence back, to go on, and there will be things in the way, because that's life. But I want to strive for excellence in mental health as well. It may not be 100 per cent every day, but I won't stop striving for it."

Shane Carthy's blog can be read here –

https://scarthyblog.home.blog/2018/12/19/im-no-longer-surviving-im-living/
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU