Grimley wields the axe (apparently)

Started by Ulick, October 24, 2012, 11:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

Not sure what to make of this. Grimley trying to stamp his authority early on? Can't see what Mackin did to get dropped as he was one of the few stand-out performers in the league last year. Also us Grimley expecting any Cross involvement in the club championship to end before the league restarts?

Grimley drops 14 players from 2012 Armagh squad

By Colm Keys

Wednesday October 24 2012
Be the first to comment

New Armagh football manager Paul Grimley has swept the decks following a clear-out of 14 players from the 2012 squad over the past few weeks.

Among them is Andy Mallon, the former All Star corner-back who has been involved with the county since 2003, when he played in the All-Ireland final against Tyrone.

Billy Joe Padden, who linked up with Armagh after years with Mayo, has also been released, as have long-serving players Malachy Mackin, Michael O'Rourke and Anton Duffy.

Grimley said it was necessary to make such sweeping changes because Armagh have been "drifting for too long". "Change is needed," he said.

Grimley has introduced 12 newcomers, including two of the Crossmaglen Rangers All-Ireland club championship-winning side, Paul McKeown and Stephen Finnegan.

It brings to seven the number of Crossmaglen players that are now in the Armagh squad, with Jamie Clarke, Aaron and Tony Kernan, James Morgan and Johnny Hanratty all still involved.

Oisin McConville was critical recently of the low number of Crossmaglen players that had made the Armagh team in recent years.

The promising Rory Grugan is also off the panel but is set to travel in the coming weeks.

Grimley said he has spoken to all the players released and explained the reasons behind his decision.

"Some of the lads gone have been injured in recent seasons, others have lost form," he said. "In Andy Mallon's case, he's living in Dublin now, has a young family and he's a player we will probably revisit in February or March."

He warned that further changes can't be ruled out once the new season gets under way.

"I'll be willing to cut some of the younger players some slack. It will take time to blood some of them. But the older players won't have the same time," he said. "They need to step up."

- Colm Keys

fitzroyalty

Not sure what to make of it either. Malachy Mackin in my eyes is good enough to stay there as is Anto Duffy. Paul McKeown should be a good addition but I'm not sure about Finnegan. Did he even feature in the county final last week?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 24, 2012, 11:58:23 AM
Not sure what to make of it either. Malachy Mackin in my eyes is good enough to stay there as is Anto Duffy. Paul McKeown should be a good addition but I'm not sure about Finnegan. Did he even feature in the county final last week?

Fiddler came on as a sub.  Hadn't been training much for a few weeks with a few niggles.  He is good enough and has that bit of nastiness that is needed sometimes.

thebandit

ardchieftain

This can only be a positive step and lays down a marker, either step up or you'll be gone. Interesting times ahead.........

BenDover

Anto Duffy has plans to go travelling which would explain his exclusion

Cold tea

Quote from: BenDover on October 24, 2012, 01:47:21 PM

Heard that too, is Grimley not his father-in-law?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Cold tea on October 25, 2012, 09:03:44 AM
Quote from: BenDover on October 24, 2012, 01:47:21 PM

Heard that too, is Grimley not his father-in-law?

No that's Paul Duffy.  Is he still on the squad I wonder?

Captain Obvious

Risky but welcomed move. Grimley has laid down the marker early and any mediocrity will not be allowed.

Syferus

ck

I have to say lads I laughed at the title of this post. Grimley weilds an axe by dropping a couple of last years fringe players?
There is alot of doom and gloom around Grimley yet yee Armagh people couldnt wait to get him in a few short years ago!
I've said it before - Armagh have as good a group of players as any county probably better than most.

Ulick

Quote from: ck on October 27, 2012, 01:08:17 PM
I have to say lads I laughed at the title of this post. Grimley weilds an axe by dropping a couple of last years fringe players?
There is alot of doom and gloom around Grimley yet yee Armagh people couldnt wait to get him in a few short years ago!
I've said it before - Armagh have as good a group of players as any county probably better than most.

Hence "(apparently)"

naka

as an aside I hear Hughie Morgan has pulled the plug on sponsoring Armagh
any truth in it ?

Orior

Quote from: naka on October 29, 2012, 11:14:32 AM
as an aside I hear Hughie Morgan has pulled the plug on sponsoring Armagh
any truth in it ?

Announcement tonight.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Throw ball

Armagh website has press conference listed for Thursday at 8 pm to announce new sponsor.