Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caprea

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 30, 2020, 03:49:14 PM
Quote from: caprea on July 30, 2020, 01:32:17 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 30, 2020, 12:52:13 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 30, 2020, 12:42:18 PM
Counties are manufactured too - by the Normans and English.
For example Ballyfarnon has nothing in common with Ballyforan except being within the lines drawn on a map by some Norman back in the 1200s.
However they're embedded in us now and from a GAA viewpoint have been there since the beginning.
However the question arises are Counties the best option any more for administering GAA affairs or for fielding representative teams?

Anyone alive now has grown up with their county. The chances of changing away from a county set up is minimal. You'd lose the attachment you had for your county and I don't believe that would transfer across to a franchise team. MAybe I'm wrong but that would be my opinion.

Why do you think people in Ireland support Liverpool or man utd? There's no attachment of place..

Because its easy. Sit at home or on a barstool, follow the soap opera. Much easier than supporting a local side.

The problem with introducing franchises is the Fermanagh man who loses his team, assuming he sticks with the GAA, is as likely to support the Central Dublin Dreadnoughts or the Kilkenny Kights as he is his local franchise his club side.

Then you really have an imbalance.

Local franchise club side? You think they could build a competition model where a local Fermanagh club play central Dublin?

That would be imbalanced.

Rossfan

This discussion is getting dafter by the minute.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

caprea

Take pride in your amateur volunteers, doing it for the love of their association.

https://www.otbsports.com/football/gaa-executive-pay-croke-park-averaged-e125845-2019-965684

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: caprea on July 30, 2020, 04:05:22 PM
For example Ballyfarnon has nothing in common with Ballyforan except being within the lines drawn on a map by some Norman back in the 1200s.
However they're embedded in us now and from a GAA viewpoint have been there since the beginning.
However the question arises are Counties the best option any more for administering GAA affairs or for fielding representative teams?

Anyone alive now has grown up with their county. The chances of changing away from a county set up is minimal. You'd lose the attachment you had for your county and I don't believe that would transfer across to a franchise team. MAybe I'm wrong but that would be my opinion.

Why do you think people in Ireland support Liverpool or man utd? There's no attachment of place..

Because its easy. Sit at home or on a barstool, follow the soap opera. Much easier than supporting a local side.

The problem with introducing franchises is the Fermanagh man who loses his team, assuming he sticks with the GAA, is as likely to support the Central Dublin Dreadnoughts or the Kilkenny Kights as he is his local franchise his club side.

Local franchise club side? You think they could build a competition model where a local Fermanagh club play central Dublin?

I am saying that not all current Fermanagh fans will follow the franchise that replaces them. Some might do what soccer fans do and pick whoever is winning when they are made to choose.

caprea

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 30, 2020, 06:53:53 PM

I am saying that not all current Fermanagh fans will follow the franchise that replaces them. Some might do what soccer fans do and pick whoever is winning when they are made to choose.

Perhaps but there is also a view that being paralyzed by fear so you stick within your current situation where you haven't seen your county lift a provincial title at any grade in your lifetime makes supporting GAA a, at best, unsatisfying experience.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: caprea on July 30, 2020, 07:37:25 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 30, 2020, 06:53:53 PM

Perhaps but there is also a view that being paralyzed by fear so you stick within your current situation where you haven't seen your county lift a provincial title at any grade in your lifetime makes supporting GAA a, at best, unsatisfying experience.

Becauae its strictly geography. You support your county and will be tolerated cheering on the wife or parents one. And most counties win nothing, never have, never will.

Remove that bond and tell someone from Waterford they follow the South Eastern Sunflakes or a Sligo man they flow the Connaught Rangers now, they may well go fock it, I follow Man U instead of Waterford United or Sligo Rovers already, why not cheer for the Central Dublin Spires or Kilkenny Tigerz? Same logic.

caprea

[/quote]

Becauae its strictly geography. You support your county and will be tolerated cheering on the wife or parents one.
[/quote]

Or you don't because it's a waste of time and far worst than supporting an English premier league side.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: caprea link=topic=27376.msg1984181#msg1984181

Or you don't because it's a waste of time and far worst than supporting an English premier league side.

The vast majority of fans, real fans, not consumers, will be lucky to see their team win anything in their lifetime. That is sport in general. That has always neen the way and hasn't changed and I need convincing that abolishing the county system to give fewer teams a better chance is right or will work.

If you abolish most county sides I think you will see an even split between supporting the new franchise/sticking with the club and ignoring the franchise game/bandwagoning onto a successfull county/walking away entirely.

caprea

Ah yeah, give intercounty 8-10 more years. If things don't come back to an even setting and it's dublin and Kerry winning every Sam in the intervening years then it's time to accept those two counties won Gaelic football and agree a move to a different competition model.

trueblue1234

But there is in the GAA.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

five points

Quote from: caprea on July 30, 2020, 11:46:31 PM
Ah yeah, give intercounty 8-10 more years. If things don't come back to an even setting and it's dublin and Kerry winning every Sam in the intervening years then it's time to accept those two counties won Gaelic football and agree a move to a different competition model.

That same point could have just as easily made 35 years ago. I suspect intercounty will still be here in 35 years time.

caprea

Quote from: five points on July 31, 2020, 11:40:42 AM
Quote from: caprea on July 30, 2020, 11:46:31 PM

That same point could have just as easily made 35 years ago. I suspect intercounty will still be here in 35 years time.

35 years ago there wasn't the population imbalance there is now. 35 years ago there was no TV deals.

I think you need to realize the GAA have pushed into being a business from the moment they decided to redevelop croke Park.

Everything that has been happening since and will happen in the future was the slow road to professionalism that the GAA not the GPA started.

caprea

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 31, 2020, 11:36:42 AM

But there is in the GAA.

Yes, but if the product is shit/completely predictable compared to the English PL or NFL which it now is then people aren't going to be interested.

five points

Quote from: caprea on July 31, 2020, 12:06:45 PM

35 years ago there wasn't the population imbalance there is now.
There was. If anything it was worse. The only jobs for young people were, if not in Dublin, in London or New York.

Quote35 years ago there was no TV deals.

I think you need to realize the GAA have pushed into being a business from the moment they decided to redevelop croke Park.

Everything that has been happening since and will happen in the future was the slow road to professionalism that the GAA not the GPA started.
The GAA has been a business for my entire lifetime. And 30 years ago when sponsors names appeared on jerseys there was a lot of talk about a slow road to professionalism.

caprea

Quote from: five points on July 31, 2020, 12:16:45 PM
Quote from: caprea on July 31, 2020, 12:06:45 PM

35 years ago there wasn't the population imbalance there is now.
There was. If anything it was worse. The only jobs for young people were, if not in Dublin, in London or New York.

Wrong, rural population was 55% of total population in 1960. Now it is 36%. It's pretty much a straight line fall for the last 60 years.