All Ireland Semi Final: The Dubs v Cavan, 1730 Saturday 5 December 2020

Started by Hound, November 24, 2020, 08:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

We have no lights and the Castlebar pitch is too short.
If a Leinster Semi Final wasn't moved out of Dublin's home ground you can be sure this won't be either!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

This piece from the Indo makes it seem very unlikely:

his plea is likely to fall on deaf ears because, at the outset, the GAA made it clear that Croke Park would be used for All-Ireland semi-finals, irrespective of travel or overnights.

The danger is now that it could distract Cavan, so probably best if Mickey, and especially the players, say no more. We know where they stand, let them get on with their preparations. The county board on the other hand should be working very hard behind the scenes.

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on November 24, 2020, 12:30:45 PM
We have no lights and the Castlebar pitch is too short.
If a Leinster Semi Final wasn't moved out of Dublin's home ground you can be sure this won't be either!

No lights in the Hyde or Navan now? I suppose some places look better in the dark ;D

Hound

As for Dessie's Dubs, I think the performance against Meath was better than most expected. A lot of players playing at the top of their game, especially key lads like Cluxton, Fenton, Con, Kilkenny, Rock.

The most interesting part of his selection process is not starting Brian Howard in any game. Without my usual pre and post match pints, I'm hearing far less on the grapevine, so might be missing news re carrying injuries, etc, but I'm baffled he's not starting.

Having said that McCarthy wasn't great v Meath and I'd say there much be a decent chance he reverts to half back leaving the two Brians in the middle. This is nailed on if Cooper doesn't recover. He's been dealing with leg muscle injuries for the last 2/3 years it seems, and is a doubt for Saturday week.

I was sure Paul Mannion would replace Paddy Small for the Leinster final, given Small was below par in the semi. But Paddy stayed in and played very well, so Mannion to be left on the bench again.

A few big names not getting a look in under Dessie. I believe Macauley and Andrews are still available for selection (subject to my comment above) but not getting near the team. Cian O'Sullivan I did hear was putting in huge shifts in training, but still an unused sub v Meath. Harsh on these lads, but the right way to do it all the same.

Angelo

Quote from: Hound on November 24, 2020, 11:13:51 AM
Wobbler put some interesting reasons on another thread as to why the All Ireland Semi Final should stay in Croke Park

Quote from: thewobbler on November 22, 2020, 06:23:07 PM
The reason for it is that it will look better on TV. It has better lightning, better camera angles, and a better surface than anywhere else.

Croke Park has innumerable fixed cameras, overhead cameras and Hawkeye.

It will provide a better visual experience for the tv viewer.

It's hard to argue with that reasoning.

They are all good and reasonable points, and it is a showpiece occasion so those points matter. However, I think in the circumstances of this crazy year the downsides of moving somewhere else are outweighed by the positives.

A friend of mine told me Mickey Graham has called for it to be moved. Not sure if that is true as on rte all they mention is Seanie Johnston calling for it! If Cavan want it in Croke Park, then I think that should be the end of it, but if they don't it's a great opportunity to move it. And Breffni shouldn't be off the list as an alternative candidate (unless there's a good reason for it).

The camera angle for the Meath and Kildare and Dublin Laois games was abysmal in Croke Park.

Nothing wrong with the camera access at the Athletic Grounds Sunday, the pitch was recently relayed and held up very well. Hawkeye is the only real thing you could quibble about but the chance of it being needed in a defining manner in this matchup is remote.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Blowitupref

Quote from: Itchy on November 24, 2020, 11:04:02 AM
For me, I want Cavan to give this game a right rattle and not to treat it as a day out. To do that I would love to see the game in a provincial venue. Dublin have enough advantages and have a superb team. Now Mickey and the players might think differently and I suppose it is their call but thats what I would do. Get it to Armagh I say.

If Cavan fly into tackles like their life's depend on it as they did last Sunday you should give Dublin a rattle however do a Meath on it whereby admiring Dublin by standing off them and giving them all the time and space to create and score then it was be at least a 15 point defeat.

With no crowds in attendance these All-Ireland semi finals should be played outside of Croke Park but I don't see HQ changing the venue.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: seafoid on November 24, 2020, 10:41:20 AM
Dublin are 1/100.

Well done GAA. Financial doping does what it says on the tin.

Yet Dublin have always beaten them

Itchy

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 24, 2020, 04:59:50 PM
Not a question of venue but still a technical one nonetheless, will the jerseys be regarded as a colour clash?

We met in the league twice in last few years and I cant actually remember for but I think Cavan changed into white. However, I rememver in the 90s as a kid being in Croke park and both of them played in their blue jerseys which even as a kids struck me as a bit mad.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 24, 2020, 05:02:21 PM
Dublin are 1/100.

Not sure it's healthy that any team should be going into a semi-final as 1/100 favourites though. I'd say if Real Madrid played Accrington Stanley they wouldn't even get near those sort of odds.

lenny

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on November 24, 2020, 05:58:50 PM
Dublin are 1/100.

Not sure it's healthy that any team should be going into a semi-final as 1/100 favourites though. I'd say if Real Madrid played Accrington Stanley they wouldn't even get near those sort of odds.

Accrington Stanley- who are they?

From the Bunker

Quote from: lenny on November 24, 2020, 06:42:49 PM
Dublin are 1/100.

Exactly!

lenny

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 24, 2020, 07:01:40 PM
Dublin are 1/100.

Exactly!

😂

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 24, 2020, 07:01:40 PM
Dublin are 1/100.

Exactly!

Hasta la victoria siempre

armaghniac

By way of comparison, the odds for Dublin to win this game are the same on Betfair as the odds for Biden to win Pennsylvania. Trump that if you can. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sid waddell

Quote from: armaghniac on November 24, 2020, 11:51:22 PM
By way of comparison, the odds for Dublin to win this game are the same on Betfair as the odds for Biden to win Pennsylvania. Trump that if you can.
At 20/1 Cavan are slightly less than Leicester's 5,000/1 at the start of the 2015/16 Premier League season

Wonder what odds you would have got on them to win Ulster before the championship

Or Tipp to win Munster for that matter