Digital Re-tune

Started by illdecide, September 06, 2019, 10:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

I have a couple of tvs running from the same arial. I did a digital retune on every tv. Two have RTE but 1 does not. Is the age of the TV a factor in if a ability to pick up the new signals @fionntonagh

armaghniac

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 08, 2020, 10:32:59 PM

Remember, it may be worth contacting the Freeview helpline that I posted a page or two back, as if you have lost reception they may arrange for an aerial installer to upgrade your aerial reception system free of charge if reception of "lost" services can be brought back. Otherwise, unless you know exactly what you need and know how to fix it up, don't even think about getting up to the roof top to mess about - get someone in whom knows what they're doing whom can fix it up.

Sure you'd have to get a TV licence then.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GetOverTheBar

Lads need a bit of help from the techies here. Not actually for myself...but hopefully someone can help with past experience.

New TV purchased, picks up all RTE channels including HD and +1 (more than my own actual tv). Picks up TV Guide, what is on etc. RTE worked fine on the prior TV it was just a bit small.

But when you go to watch it says "Video not supported". We are in the North here. No RTE issue prior whatsoever to this.

Basic digital and analogue scan performed, no boxes involved.

Anyone any ideas?

armaghniac

Can you watch BBC HD channels on your new TV?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: armaghniac on November 01, 2020, 01:04:52 PM

No can't get those in HD

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 01, 2020, 04:41:24 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 01, 2020, 01:04:52 PM

No can't get those in HD

You must have a seriously old cheap class of TV. False economy if you wanted the real RTÉ signal.
Any set receiving the HD channels would have been fine.
Somebody might have a suitable box lying around from the changeover that you could plug in to the TV.

GetOverTheBar

Yeah it was an old one - got it all sorted in the meantime - the old tv didn't pick up the new signal, unsurprisingly I suppose.

Thanks anyway!

giveherlong

Looking small bit of advice for someone on best way to pick up RTE/TG4, Virgin media etc in the North
No signal from the Saorview transmitters available and no NI Mux either
They had a southern sky card  (for nearly 10 yrs)  up to recent days but that has been cut off now without notice despite no issues with payment
Any ideas what the best way would be to get these channels back?

armaghniac

Quote from: giveherlong on February 05, 2021, 08:19:26 PM
Looking small bit of advice for someone on best way to pick up RTE/TG4, Virgin media etc in the North
They had a southern sky card  (for nearly 10 yrs)  up to recent days but that has been cut off now without notice despite no issues with payment

If you got a Saorsat dish you'd get RTÉ.
Otherwise if you have a solid Internet service perhaps there is a VPN?

Or wait for Fionntamhnach!

grounded

Quote from: armaghniac on February 06, 2021, 01:39:56 AM
Quote from: giveherlong on February 05, 2021, 08:19:26 PM

If you got a Saorsat dish you'd get RTÉ.
Otherwise if you have a solid Internet service perhaps there is a VPN?

Or wait for Fionntamhnach!

Funny enough, from the start of July there were some technical changes involving saorsat coverage. In practical terms the footprint has gotten smaller. In my case here in the Mournes the signal strength has dropped dramatically making viewing very patchy using an 80cm dish.
       Anyone considering it should go for the larger size dish(in my case 100cm) with clear line of sight. It's actually really difficult to get a signal at all and not all satellite installers can install it!

Boycey

I asked this question the other night on a different thread but my post and the whole thread seemsf to have disappeared :-[. I can't imagine there was anything offensive in it so I'll ask again.

I'm in Monaghan/Armagh border area and have always had a great range of digital UK channels off my aerial but in the last couple of weeks I seem to have lost the majority of these channels and what's left, mainly BBC/ITV SD are of average quality. Has a transmitter been turned off or something.

Re-scan of channels doesn't help, thanks in advance.

MK

Quote from: Boycey on April 08, 2021, 07:49:38 PM
I asked this question the other night on a different thread but my post and the whole thread seemsf to have disappeared :-[. I can't imagine there was anything offensive in it so I'll ask again.

I'm in Monaghan/Armagh border area and have always had a great range of digital UK channels off my aerial but in the last couple of weeks I seem to have lost the majority of these channels and what's left, mainly BBC/ITV SD are of average quality. Has a transmitter been turned off or something.

Re-scan of channels doesn't help, thanks in advance.

I asked a similar question on the aforementioned disappeared thread-

Previously flawless reception on an elderly relatives' TV has recently changed dramatically and with no sign of aerial movement a re-tune has strangely now excluded RTE1 and Virgin Media 3 amongst others.

Boycey

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on April 08, 2021, 07:56:17 PM
Sounds like a problem with your reception set up, maybe a strong wind has either damaged your aerial or knocked it out of direction?

Good man, that never even entered my head but I think you could be right. There was a serious stormy day a few weeks back cause I took a picture of my garden fence swaying like a drunk in the wind....