Derry v Mayo, Celtic Park - 13/3/2010

Started by Barney, March 08, 2010, 08:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Derry defeated twice in a row.

Mayo disappointing against Dublin.

Not too many travel to Celtic Park and win.

Ranger

Well the Mayo 'strength on the bench' left a lot to be desired last Sunday!
Think we'll struggle big time especially with Mc Garritty, Gardiner and Ronaldson out.
A.O.S. would  struggle to make his place on a Junior B team at the moment.

Oakleafer1993

Derry must win. Cassidy's hand will be strengthed after Wed night when he gets his u21 contingent back.(all being well :-\)

Farrandeelin

I cannot see Derry losing three league games on the bounce. Unfortunately a Derry win is on the cards here. But then again, Mayo might have a chance if the ball goes over the bar (if they create chances). I expect the game to be played at helter skelter pace because Mayo are away to Kerry the following weekend as well.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

whiskeysteve

Derry V Mayo in Celtic Park. For whatever reason we seem to be very strong in these circumstances. I can see us winning by at least 5 and im not being cocky or disrespectful in the slightest, it just always seems to be a big factor for us. We have a great league record in Celtic Park against many teams including Mayo and when we are on the front foot we can be very good. In saying that, championship would be a very different matter no doubt, particularly for us.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Imposerous

Q for Derry wans - would you expect him to start in midfield against Armagh in May. I saw him play against us for UUJ in the opening round of the McKenna Cup and he ruled the roost and scored a couple. Reports of another impressive performance last night. Seems he's going to be an outstanding midfielder for years to come. 

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Imposerous on March 11, 2010, 12:01:01 PM
Q for Derry wans - would you expect him to start in midfield against Armagh in May. I saw him play against us for UUJ in the opening round of the McKenna Cup and he ruled the roost and scored a couple. Reports of another impressive performance last night. Seems he's going to be an outstanding midfielder for years to come.

Assuming 'him' is Caolan O'Boyle  :D Aye think starting midfield this year might be a bit soon but he definitely looks like an excellent prospect and could well feature in the forwards. Have no doubt he will be a central player in the coming years.

All the same we have had young prospects in the past who were well hyped and didnt live up to lofty expectations so I would be wary about getting too excited with U21 and McKenna games
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Imposerous

Apologies, meant O'Boyle. Tapping this out on my phone so the screen is small and kinda lose sight of what I've typed.

Understand your caution over an u-21 but he totally outplayed James Lavery who starts in the middle for Armagh and he seems to be putting in consistent performances. Wish he was from the Orchard. Our options for the middle are middling (that's a bit harsh, just wanted to get in a pun)

Paddy1804

Agree that Derry need to win, I also think that with Mayo missing a good few men (Ronaldson in particular who destroyed Ronan McNabb in Omagh) and the game being played in Derry that Derry could win by three/four. Be bouyed by last nights performance by the U-21s too

Farrandeelin

Quote from: whiskeysteve on March 11, 2010, 11:24:17 AM
Derry V Mayo in Celtic Park. For whatever reason we seem to be very strong in these circumstances. I can see us winning by at least 5 and im not being cocky or disrespectful in the slightest, it just always seems to be a big factor for us. We have a great league record in Celtic Park against many teams including Mayo and when we are on the front foot we can be very good. In saying that, championship would be a very different matter no doubt, particularly for us.

I thought the exact same thing when ye came to Ballina last year. Jeez, Mayo mustn't have lost a league game there in donkeys years, then ye came along. Hopefully we can gain some 'revenge' but it's doubtful somehow!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Depends too maybe on which Mayo team shows up. But it's hard to see the dead ball situation improving much so our chances must be rated slim indeed. Every team in the country must realise by now that you can foul mayo forwards early(outside 30 yards) and often and not be punished. The fact that we carry so much ball into tackles would make this a worthwhile tactic. The fact that our big target man is holding onto little ball makes us more vulnerable as were getting very little early ball into the danger area. Ronaldson is a loss but he was forcing and missing longer frees as well before his suspension so this problem may not go away any time soon.
For me Barry Moran back inside would take a lot of the heat off young O Sé and we would be far more effective.

Lar Naparka

It's getting to the stage now where any manager with serious ambitions for the championships would need to look for points from every game from here on in. With the way the league is now structured, an extended run is important as the championships follow so close after this competition ends.
I think both O'Mahony and Cassidy will be going all out on Sunday to keep their hopes of a play off spot alive.
I'm not sure about Derry but Mayo certainly have no easy games left.
I was less concerned about the result in Castlebar than the way in which old failings in front of goal re-emerged. I'd hope the squandermania was a once off affair; any team in development is prone to have a bad day at times.
I'd welcome any sort of a win on Sunday but I'd value an improved shooting display even more.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

GAA_Punter

Allianz National Football League Division 1 Round 4
Derry v Mayo, 7.30pm, Celtic Park, Derry
Weekend Gaelic Football Previews – Saturday 13th Sunday 14th March

Sixth plays host to third under the Celtic Park floodlights on Saturday night, with both sides coming into this tie off the back of disappointing losses last weekend.
Derry will have felt they left two valuable league points behind them on their travels to Kerry last Sunday, while Mayo were unlucky not to snatch a draw at McHale Park and end Dublin's winning streak.
Mayo delayed their team naming on Thursday night due to injuries and the involvement of their under 21's in Connacht Championship action midweek, but still should have enough to record a slender win over the Oak Leafers.

VERDICT – Mayo

Rest of the weekends previews on
http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/03/12/weekend-gaelic-football-previews-saturday-13th-sunday-14th-march/

Paddy1804

From the BBC:

Derry U21 pair in senior line-up

Derry Under-21 players James Kielt and Lee Moore have been named by Damien Cassidy in the senior team to face Mayo in the Allianz NFL Division One clash.

Both were involved in the midweek U21 Championship win over Tyrone.

Kielt partners Patsy Bradley at midfield with Fergal Doherty starting at number 10, while Paddy Bradley moves out to centre half-forward.

Martin Dunne continues in goal in place of Barry Gillis, while Barry McGuigan and Brian Mullan drop to the bench.

Derry have just one win from three matches while Mayo have lost just once.

Derry: M Dunne; M McGoldrick, K McCloy, D McBride; C Kielt, M Lynch, G O'Kane; P Bradley, J Kielt; F Doherty, P Bradley, A McLaughlin; R Wilkinson, E Bradley, L Moore.

Zhukov

Quote from: whiskeysteve on March 11, 2010, 11:24:17 AM

Would agree strongly with most of this. Really fancy us to win tomorrow due to the Celtic park/national lge factor.

Team selection is interesting enough. I like the idea of splitting up the Bradleys. When the pair of them play on the inside forward line we tend to get sucked into playing the same long balls into them which is easily dealt with by the opposition employing a sweeper. I would prefer to see skinnner on the 40 though as i feel his ability to run at defenders would be of benefit there. Either way its only national lge and there is no harm having a look at Paddy a bit further out the field. Same goes for Kielt at MF, worth a try although i think Fergal Doc and Patsy Bradley are our best options and a match for anybody on their day.

Anyhoo......Derry by 4