Hotmail hacked into

Started by tyrone girl, December 17, 2009, 04:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone girl

But there is no way anyone would have known the answer to the secret question i had to be able to reset it . No way, it has to be a virus - and with the messages going from my email all week saying i was selling ipods confirms this. Contacted microsoft yesterday evening - filled in the online security to validate the account is mine but no response yet

Lazer

Same thing happened to me before - and through hotmail - my paypal acount too - I recommend you any accounts you have linked to hotmail

Windows live support were helpful and i got my account re-set quite quickly
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

tyrone girl

Thats what im sort of panicking about is my paypal. I cant remember my password for it and not sure what to do now to make sure it isnt used. Did u just send that form to windows support with the different details about your account? How quickly are we talking? Its annoying my head big time - gonna have to go to bank this morning and clear every penny out just in case

pearses

Hotmail support sent me this form:

https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlidvalidation&ct=eformcs&scrx=1

Provide them with information to prove ownership of the account.

tyrone girl

Phoned paypal there and got them to restrict my account so that noone can use it so at least thats done. Have that form filled out so fingers crossed they come back to me

Aerlik

I got a text message then an email from supposedly a mate offering ipods etc about 6 weeks ago.  I knew it wasn't him then got confirmation by a phone call.

Anyone doing internet banking using an unsecure site is asking for trouble.  Likewise, using an iphone/any phone to do wireless internet banking is leaving themselves open to attack.  I never use my phone to go near my banking stuff.

Folks check out Conficker on google.  Banks only let us know about the very minimum of attacks due to their not wanting the bad publicity of insecure sites and the follow-on increase in  customers using banks, therefore needing more staff and reducing the cost-cutting effectiveness of online banking.  The fcukers are robbed half enough if you ask me. 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

thebigfella

Quote from: Aerlik on December 18, 2009, 10:24:39 AM
I got a text message then an email from supposedly a mate offering ipods etc about 6 weeks ago.  I knew it wasn't him then got confirmation by a phone call.

Anyone doing internet banking using an unsecure site is asking for trouble.  Likewise, using an iphone/any phone to do wireless internet banking is leaving themselves open to attack.  I never use my phone to go near my banking stuff.

Folks check out Conficker on google.  Banks only let us know about the very minimum of attacks due to their not wanting the bad publicity of insecure sites and the follow-on increase in  customers using banks, therefore needing more staff and reducing the cost-cutting effectiveness of online banking.  The fcukers are robbed half enough if you ask me.

Define what you call an unsecure site? Surely anyone using an unsecure host is what you mean?

Denn Forever

Don't mean to be personnal TG but what sort of protection did you have?  Have MAfee but should I be using any other protection against super dooper virus.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tyrone girl

i dont think i have any virus protection either at work or home - think they have both run out  :-\

Denn Forever

Renew.  Especially at work.  Maybe work will pay for it and you can piggyback and get protection at home.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tyrone girl

Yeh we keep saying at work we are going to - need to get onto them. As for home - think im getting new laptop for christmas so should be on it

Lazer

Quote from: tyrone girl on December 18, 2009, 09:36:05 AM
Thats what im sort of panicking about is my paypal. I cant remember my password for it and not sure what to do now to make sure it isnt used. Did u just send that form to windows support with the different details about your account? How quickly are we talking? Its annoying my head big time - gonna have to go to bank this morning and clear every penny out just in case

I think it was about a week - maybe less - I emailed them to chase it up. There was money transferrred form my paypal - but paypal spotted the transaction and restricted my account.
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)