Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Quote from: BennyCake on December 03, 2018, 02:18:21 PM
Car sometimes doesn't start first time. Not turning over, just a click. Turn the key again a few seconds later, it usually starts fine (might take 2 or 3 attempts).

I thought maybe it was the starter motor. But if it was, would it usually start no problem next attempt?
Sounds like starter solenoid problem,  bad contact not giving high current feed to run the starter motor.

BennyCake

Quote from: Last Man on December 03, 2018, 03:12:14 PM
Car sometimes doesn't start first time. Not turning over, just a click. Turn the key again a few seconds later, it usually starts fine (might take 2 or 3 attempts).

I thought maybe it was the starter motor. But if it was, would it usually start no problem next attempt?
Sounds like starter solenoid problem,  bad contact not giving high current feed to run the starter motor.

I see.

Can that be repaired or is a new starter motor needed?

general

Car due MOT, 14th of Fecking December

NIGHTMARE

Denn Forever

Your mechanic may know a business that can recondition the starter motor.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

macdanger2

Had the same problem on my vectra, turned out to be the crank shaft sensor. It showed up in the fault codes when I put a reader on it

snoopdog

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 03, 2018, 05:08:19 PM

Had the same problem on my vectra, turned out to be the crank shaft sensor. It showed up in the fault codes when I put a reader on it
Had crank shaft sensor issue with a hyundai santa fe. Get it looked at sharpish as mine could cut out at anytime if stopped at a junction traffic lights etc. Its not worth putting off as it gets worse in my experience.

marty34

10 year old Audi A4 - this past few weeks it never seems to heat up i.e. even after an hour. Seems to just be blowing cold air.  No difference between the cold and hot hair. Anybody have any sutions?

Would changing/cleaning the air con help?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: marty34 on December 24, 2018, 04:06:10 PM
10 year old Audi A4 - this past few weeks it never seems to heat up i.e. even after an hour. Seems to just be blowing cold air.  No difference between the cold and hot hair. Anybody have any sutions?

I'm sure the heating system is more sophisticated than the one in an old 306 I had years ago but I had a similar situation and found out too late that there was a leak in the coolant system resulting in a seized engine and a scrapped car.

north_antrim_hound

Usually an electric actuator flap in behind the dash. Sometimes it comes up with a diagnostic scan with VCDS to find out which one. A fair bit of stripping to get at the culprit.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

marty34

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on December 24, 2018, 05:24:19 PM

Usually an electric actuator flap in behind the dash. Sometimes it comes up with a diagnostic scan with VCDS to find out which one. A fair bit of stripping to get at the culprit.

Thanks NAH - harding worth fixing if there's a bit of work involved.  Need mechanic to look at it.  If I get through the winter months, I'll survive for the year!

So changing air-con will make no difference then.

omaghjoe

Without being specific to the model......Your first stop would normally be the thermostat
If the engine is heating up normally on the gauge and its only the heater blowing cool air you likely have an airlock, your coolant system may also be blocked

marty34

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 24, 2018, 07:37:47 PM

Without being specific to the model......Your first stop would normally be the thermostat
If the engine is heating up normally on the gauge and its only the heater blowing cool air you likely have an airlock, your coolant system may also be blocked

Yeah, seems cool all the time. No heat at all...ever after 30mins of driving.

GJL

Possibly the water pump. They do give bother on these engines and cause what you are describing. Get it looked at ASAP.

omaghjoe

Quote from: marty34 on December 24, 2018, 08:31:33 PM

If engine is not heating on the gauge it's most likely your thermostat.
Btw unlikely anything to do with air con. Not impossible that the cabin thermostat might be wonky but fairly unlikely

johnnycool

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 27, 2018, 08:20:14 AM
Quote from: marty34 on December 24, 2018, 08:31:33 PM

If engine is not heating on the gauge it's most likely your thermostat.
Btw unlikely anything to do with air con. Not impossible that the cabin thermostat might be wonky but fairly unlikely

I've a 2006 Audi A4 doing the same thing, bit frosty the odd time, but no biggie.

Thermostat is a pig to get ot although the engine temperature gauge looks fine, so might have to wait till it's in for a service to get it looked at.

A lot of online forums believe the heat exchanger into the bulk head may need flushed out....