Is the whole show couped?

Started by The Iceman, February 27, 2014, 01:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on February 28, 2014, 07:05:09 PM
This is about society.

Children are correctly seen as vulnerable and thus protected by the law. This has improved with time, generally, as society has improved the lot of more and more people. In this regard looking back can bring up some strange perspectives.

For example, read this astonishing BBC article: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26352378

Science is a different thing completely but in its defence it usually moves with the times.

Religion by its nature is conservative and thus occasionally can automatically cling on to thinking that is obsolete.

For example, in science Newton was right, Einstein was even more right, but neither of them were completely right. Religion however has always been right.

Taking religion out of the conversation, what if the times are moving toward at the very least recognizing pedophilia as a sexual orientation (backed by science)?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on February 28, 2014, 07:14:29 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 28, 2014, 07:05:09 PM
This is about society.

Children are correctly seen as vulnerable and thus protected by the law. This has improved with time, generally, as society has improved the lot of more and more people. In this regard looking back can bring up some strange perspectives.

For example, read this astonishing BBC article: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26352378

Science is a different thing completely but in its defence it usually moves with the times.

Religion by its nature is conservative and thus occasionally can automatically cling on to thinking that is obsolete.

For example, in science Newton was right, Einstein was even more right, but neither of them were completely right. Religion however has always been right.

Taking religion out of the conversation, what if the times are moving toward at the very least recognizing pedophilia as a sexual orientation (backed by science)?

You want it both ways.

Take both science & religion out of the conversation and then it might look like there is no other agenda to your post.
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

My agenda has always been my concern for where we are headed. It started with the multiple genders. It continues with the push for Pedophilia as a sexual orientation which I believe will happen.

Religion was not part of my comments because it turns it into a' does God exist' debate and I'm not looking for that. It's been done to the death.

I got some decent answers on multiple genders and I have more research to do. I brought up the Pedophilia scare as I see it as a continuing decline of society. I completely disagree with it but the arguments being used in favour of recognizing pedophilia as a sexual orientation do also line up with arguments which society has stood behind in the past. I hope I'm wrong.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

heganboy

Quote from: The Iceman on February 28, 2014, 07:47:50 PM
1. My agenda has always been my concern for where we are headed.
2. It started with the multiple genders.
3. It continues with the push for Pedophilia as a sexual orientation which I believe will happen.
4. I hope I'm wrong.

Iceman,
I hope you don't mind that this is a bit of a pick and choose, but 1 is understandable especially as a parent.
2. I hear you- but gender and sexuality is not cut and dried as just boy and girl no matter how you slice it, just as everyone is not either smart or dumb...
3. It may be accepted psychologically as a sexual orientation, but not by society as an acceptable practice.
4. I hope you are too...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

muppet

My agenda has always been my concern for where we are headed. It started with the multiple genders. It continues with the push for Pedophilia as a sexual orientation which I believe will happen.

Religion was not part of my comments because it turns it into a' does God exist' debate and I'm not looking for that. It's been done to the death.

I got some decent answers on multiple genders and I have more research to do. I brought up the Pedophilia scare as I see it as a continuing decline of society. I completely disagree with it but the arguments being used in favour of recognizing pedophilia as a sexual orientation do also line up with arguments which society has stood behind in the past. I hope I'm wrong.

Pedophelia is an old problem, not something new. In my opinion the rights of children are improving and thus it is a reducing problem.  That is despite organisations such as the Catholic church doing things like this: http://www.thenews.pl/1/10/Artykul/158234,Vatican-refuses-to-extradite-Polish-archbishop-accused-of-child-sex-abuse

As for science, Darwin explains it all. Genes will mutates from time to time and weird varieties of the species will appear. The weak varieties will usually die out quickly.
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Quote from: heganboy on February 28, 2014, 07:54:21 PM
1. My agenda has always been my concern for where we are headed.
2. It started with the multiple genders.
3. It continues with the push for Pedophilia as a sexual orientation which I believe will happen.
4. I hope I'm wrong.

Iceman,
I hope you don't mind that this is a bit of a pick and choose, but 1 is understandable especially as a parent.
2. I hear you- but gender and sexuality is not cut and dried as just boy and girl no matter how you slice it, just as everyone is not either smart or dumb...
3. It may be accepted psychologically as a sexual orientation, but not by society as an acceptable practice.
4. I hope you are too...

+1.  On the pedophilia thing, there were times in history when sexual relations between adults and young teenagers were considered acceptable, but I think society has moved on that issue in the direction of protecting children. You only have to look at the reaction to the Jimmy Saville business to see that society has adopted a zero tolerance stance on that particular issue.  I really don't know where Ice is coming from on that one.

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on February 28, 2014, 06:33:19 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 28, 2014, 06:11:25 PM
Obviously the fact that children are not mature enough to handle sexual relationships i.e. it is harmful to them.

Where you draw the line in terms of age of consent is a different argument. And other countries have other messed-up issues when it comes to women as well as children and all kinds of other things, so I'm not sure what your point there is?

My point is that Pedophiles can and are using the same arguments as the gay agenda to receive equality. I don't agree they should be allowed to act out on their "orientation" but based on their argument and the success of the gay agenda in receiving equal status on further fronts, then why not list Pedophilia as a sexual orientation? Whether you or I believe it's right or wrong is irrelevant - we're taking equality of orientation here.....

Again your "opinion" on other countries laws are based on your definition of right and wrong - 50 years ago laws in the modern world were not in favour of Gay rights - but things have changed - why would they stop changing now?

But you're equating homsexuality and paedophilia. One harms kids. The other occurs between consenting adults. They're not the same, no matter what tactics are adopted.

Holocaust denial and creationism may adopt the trappings of legitimate history and science, respectively, but they're judged on their merits and substance, not the fact that they have research journals and conferences and "experiments".

Quote from: J70 on February 28, 2014, 05:26:17 PM
Again, I do not see a causative relationship (is there even a correlation?) between gay marriage and the rest and increasing incidence of people walking out on their responsibilites.
I see the further breakdown of the traditional family. Gay marriage, multiple genders, ongoing sexual experimentation and redefinition of species - surely this all leads to less and less stable homes?

Why? If people are less likely to be in the closet and have the same rights to raise children and get married as anyone else, why would those marriages be less stable?

"Redefinition of species"??  :)

I know the majority won't come out and agree that these things are scary and not normal and dangerous to society. But I would imagine the majority of parents on this board who read to their kids at night time and show them films still tell them about Cinderella, Prince Charming and True Love's Kiss.... Because we still have a hope for something higher, if not for ourselves then at least for our children. What is accepted as social progress today and where it is headed is not a happy advancement but a soul numbing decline from what we believed when we were innocent and what we still teach our kids....

I read to my child every night and while I'm afraid for him and my future kids for a lot of reasons, homosexuality and transgender people do not even register on the list of problems they're likely to face, in my mind.

Sidney

My point is that Pedophiles can and are using the same arguments as the gay agenda to receive equality.
:o

You are seriously fucked up if you believe that.

Hardy

Of course paedophilia is a sexual orientation. What else could it be? Paedophiles are driven by a sexual urge that focuses on children and we have to accept, however reluctantly, that that is the direct cause of their crimes. That is not to say that because, to them, that urge is natural and to some extent beyond their control, it must be indulged by society. Society doesn't allow kleptomaniacs to rampage through Dunnes or psychopaths to run amok with hatchets whenever the urge overwhelms them, just because they can produce a medical cert to prove they're sick.

I see this particular point Iceman is making. Leaving his value judgments aside, he is correct to say that homosexuality was a social taboo in modern society until recently, that paedophilia still is, thankfully, but that it is not unreasonable to wonder whether it could gradually gain acceptance as homosexuality has.

It is not unreasonable, but I think it is wrong. This is where we go back to value judgments. Society as a whole has rightly made the value judgment that homosexuality is socially harmless and that repressing and criminalising it is a serious assault on the human rights of the victims of that repression. Those who disagree are in a rapidly diminishing minority.

Society, on the other hand, does not accept that paedophilia is harmless. On the contrary, it is overwhelmingly accepted that sexual activity with pre-pubescent children is an extreme form of physical abuse. It is violence and violence is becoming less and less acceptable in society. Society even considers sexual activity with post-pubescent youngsters as a form of violence, on the basis that it cannot be consensual until a person can give informed adult consent.

Notwithstanding the scaremongering of the likes of the Daily Mail, every trend in sociology is diminishing the acceptability of violent behaviour. Corporal punishment is banned in schools and probably will soon be outlawed in the home as well. Bullying is a huge issue that didn't exist as a social concern a generation ago.

So I don't see any societal trend towards even the lowering of the age of consent, much less the tolerance of extreme paedophilia. The trend is in the opposite direction. A generation ago, society was a bit more ambivalent about it. The story about the paedophilia campaigners affiliated to the UK Council for Civil Liberties in the seventies is shocking society now. It didn't merit comment back then. The Jimmy Saviles of the seventies and eighties operated in an environment of nod-and-wink tolerance for their activities that's unthinkable now. I recently joined the committee of my tennis club and am only now fully aware of the scope of the child-protection measures that we must all comply with these days.

So I'd recommend that Iceman stop worrying about this one. I was getting stuck for stuff to worry about myself until the Russian army snuck into Crimea yesterday.

easytiger95

This entire thread was a Trojan horse advanced to get us to the basic equation - homosexuality = paedophilia.

Which is an atrocious, bigoted, not to mention factually discredited argument.

Ireland becomes more and more like the USA every day, and I'm not talking about gay marriage or increasing liberalisation. I'm talking about right wing nuts, terrified about a perceived shift in power and doing everything in their power to demonise their "opponents".

Iceman, if you worry about the world your children are going to grow up in, how about working towards a world governed by Jesus' own precepts - love your neighbour as you would yourself and judge not lest ye be judged.

You can't go wrong with those.

armaghniac

Quote from: Sidney on March 01, 2014, 12:51:34 AM

My point is that Pedophiles can and are using the same arguments as the gay agenda to receive equality.
:o

You are seriously fucked up if you believe that.

Of course paedophiles are using some of the same arguments as other groups, i.e. just because other people find your behaviour offensive is not a justification for a legal prohibition, and there is no reason to call another poster "seriously fucked up" for stating the obvious. However, it is also clear that paedophilia is unacceptable because of the power imbalance in the relationship whereas homosexual relationships can be between consenting adults.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thebigfella

Quote from: easytiger95 on March 02, 2014, 01:45:45 PM
This entire thread was a Trojan horse advanced to get us to the basic equation - homosexuality = paedophilia.

Which is an atrocious, bigoted, not to mention factually discredited argument.

Ireland becomes more and more like the USA every day, and I'm not talking about gay marraige or increasing liberalisation. I'm talking about right wing nuts, terrified about a perceived shift in power and doing everything in their power to demonise their "opponents".

Iceman, if you worry about the world your children are going to grow up in, how about working towards a world governed by Jesus' own precepts - love your neighbour as you would yourself and judge not lest ye be judged.

You can't go wrong with those.

Yep, have purposely avoided contributing as I plain to see where the thread was going. Pathetic stuff from the usual intolerant cnuts.

Jell 0 Biafra

So wait.. is the whole show couped, or is it not?  Is the show only partially couped?  Or is it utterly uncouped?

The Iceman

No Trojan horse whatsoever. I categorically state that to my understanding there is no link between homosexuality and pedophilia.
The thread was genuine concern about multiple genders following on from that was concern that pedophilia might one day be acceptable.
I appreciate the contributions and reassurances that I am overthinking it all and worrying too much. I work with young people and definitely understand the dangers of pedophiles. I have watched video interviews of them explains the who what where and why as part of child protection training and I definitely see no link with homosexuality.
I still think multiple genders means the whole show is couped. The world as I know is certainly not a better place in my eyes than 30 years ago. I think as a people we are on a down slide but that's just my opinion 
Peace