CCTV of Gerrard incident released

Started by Square Ball, July 21, 2009, 07:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

Quote from: corn02 on July 22, 2009, 01:37:44 PM
Fitzroyalty why am I no good at stereotyping.
The pikeys hang out in Craigavon, not Lurgan! :-*

David McKeown

The thing about the affray charge is if the prosecution can show that Gerard used or threatened to use any unlawful violence which would make any normal person fear for their safety then he is guilty of affray.  The problem though is if that if even a single punch being thrown by Gerrard  (not in self defence) can be proven then the actions of all the others in the fight are considered in other words, if Gerrard has even a tiny role in the actual violence, it wont matter, as the jury will have to consider whether or not the actions of all the fighters were such as to make a normal person fear for their safety.

Now given that Gerard apparently admitted at interview that he threw at least one connecting punch then his defence is likely to be one of the following.  Either a it was self defence or b the incident would not have made any normal person fear for their safety.  Id imagine its more likely to be a.  Jury trials are strange things so its hard to know how this one will go
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

never kickt a ball

I'd be surprised if he's found guilty. If his defense is any good they will introduce enough element of doubt for the jury to find him not guilty.

Bacon

I dobn't believe he'll be found guilty but if he is will he get a heavier sentence than his mates? They'll all get credit for pleading guilty won't they?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on July 22, 2009, 11:56:00 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on July 22, 2009, 09:10:06 AM
Quote from: Lady GAA GAA on July 21, 2009, 09:50:21 PM
Looks to me like Gerrard got hit first, no? Hard to tell what happens afterwards though

I think so too. Gerard seem to take some sort of hit and fell back before going forward.

What the fcuk were you boys looking at?
Exactly! It's as clear as day that he fired in a few uppercuts when the fella was bent over after Gerrards mate elbowed him in the bake and therefore couldn't defend himself. Dirty action. If he gets off it is because he's Steven Gerrard.

full back

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 23, 2009, 08:56:50 AM
Looks to me like Gerrard got hit first, no? Hard to tell what happens afterwards though

I think so too. Gerard seem to take some sort of hit and fell back before going forward.

Exactly! It's as clear as day that he fired in a few uppercuts when the fella was bent over after Gerrards mate elbowed him in the bake and therefore couldn't defend himself. Dirty action. If he gets off it is because he's Steven Gerrard.

Is there different CCTV pictures available?
I cant see any of the above on the recording ???

Hound

Quote from: full back on July 23, 2009, 08:59:15 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 23, 2009, 08:56:50 AM

Is there different CCTV pictures available?
I cant see any of the above on the recording ???
The link posted by POG at the bottom of page 3 gives a better view than the first link posted.

Gerrard's mate gave McGee a pretty nasty and sly elbow in the head. Then Gerrard followed up with a couple of punches - looked like to the stomach of McGee, but as McGee was bending over it was hard to see if or where he connected. There was feck all in it really. If Gerrard wasn't famous I doubt very much the incident would even have been reported to the cops, never mind get to a trial. But it is, and I'd be nervous if I was him.

corn02

Indeed, not much doubt on that clearer image, although not concrete either so he will probably get a bit of community service.

full back

Cheers Hound

Seems to be a lot clearer, not much self defence there  :-\

David McKeown

Quote from: corn02 on July 23, 2009, 09:54:28 AM
Indeed, not much doubt on that clearer image, although not concrete either so he will probably get a bit of community service.

I'd be surprised at that the legislation seams to suggest that on a contest the minimum sentence is custodial. The other thing is if Gerard is convicted of affray then he is as guilty of the elbow as the man who through it.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

EC Unique

Quote from: corn02 on July 23, 2009, 09:54:28 AM

Apology accepted :)

full back

Realistically, if he is found guilty what can he expect?

bingobus

Quote from: full back on July 23, 2009, 11:29:59 AM

He has to train at Man United for a week  ;)

I've read at worst it will be suspended sentence or community service. Very unlikely to do time.

orangeman

Can't see him getting convicted. If he does, it will be a few hours community service. There wasn't much in it really.

full back

Quote from: bingobus on July 23, 2009, 11:36:08 AM
Quote from: full back on July 23, 2009, 11:29:59 AM

He has to train at Man United for a week  ;)

I've read at worst it will be suspended sentence or community service. Very unlikely to do time.

Most scousers wouldnt be welcome at OT, but in the case of Stevie G we will make an exception ;)