CCTV of Gerrard incident released

Started by Square Ball, July 21, 2009, 07:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennistheMenace

He'll get off with it if that is the only evidence they have.

Tankie

Quote from: full back on July 22, 2009, 01:00:29 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 22, 2009, 12:58:55 PM
Quote from: full back on July 22, 2009, 12:57:52 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 22, 2009, 12:56:59 PM
Quote from: isourboydownyet on July 22, 2009, 11:59:54 AM
Quote from: Tankie on July 22, 2009, 11:35:24 AM
big of a sc**bag really by the looks of it....wouldnt really expect much more from the likes....

how would you react to someone insulting your wife and child?it's very easy to sit back and make assumptions without knowing what really happened

so if someone insults you or your wife you should resort to fighting - what are we cavemen  ??? 

You havent told us why he is a sc**bag or what you mean by the likes of him??

these lads are clearly your heroes....maybe I just expect more out of mine

Eh ???

He certainly isnt my hero, but I dont know why you would call him a sc**bag or what you mean by the likes of him?

fighting in a bar, walking around as if you cant be touched, hasstling other people because you aint getting your own way, knowing you have a big group behind if you decide to throw a few digs....all the traits of a sc**bag in my view....

would you have a different definition?
Grand Slam Saturday!

corn02

Quote from: Tankie on July 22, 2009, 01:31:55 PM
big of a sc**bag really by the looks of it....wouldnt really expect much more from the likes....

how would you react to someone insulting your wife and child?it's very easy to sit back and make assumptions without knowing what really happened

so if someone insults you or your wife you should resort to fighting - what are we cavemen  ??? 

Eh ???

He certainly isnt my hero, but I dont know why you would call him a sc**bag or what you mean by the likes of him?

fighting in a bar, walking around as if you cant be touched, hasstling other people because you aint getting your own way, knowing you have a big group behind if you decide to throw a few digs....all the traits of a sc**bag in my view....

What a weird post you hav to be a WUM.

Fitzroyalty why am I no good at stereotyping.

Tankie

Quote from: corn02 on July 22, 2009, 01:37:44 PM

Eh ???

I just put up my view like anyone else but for some reason i kept being asked to explain them...but a fairly poor role model for kids anyway but yet thousands of Irish love him...what does that say about them..
Grand Slam Saturday!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Lecale2 on July 22, 2009, 01:09:30 PM
Affray

Public Order Act 1986 section 3

Sentence Guildlines
A financial fine of up to £5,000 and/or 6 months custody for less serious cases of Affray, but if this case goes to the Crown Court there is a possibility of a greater sentence.

If the magistrates feel on the evidence their sentencing powers are sufficient they will hear the case. However, having heard the case and the offender's history they then feel their sentencing powers are insufficient they can send the offender up to Crown Court for sentencing only in front of a judge.

Custody is the starting point in their sentencing decision but there is power to reduce the sentence by up to 1/3 for an early guilty plea, which may mean that custody can be avoided by the offender co-operating at the earliest stages. As an alternative to custody, the sentence may be a community punishment e.g. community service, which is served in the community.

The magistrates or judge must also consider compensation for loss or damage caused by the offence to be paid by the offender to the victim(s). Whether or not the offence is regarded as serious depends on the aggravating and mitigating factors.

This case is being heard at the Crown Court so the magistrates must consider it serious. I'm surprised he didn't plead guilty along with the others who where present. To be guilty of Affray you don't actually have to throw a punch or kick the victim. Maybe he's hoping that the Jury will come down on the side of an England footballer in his home city.

Not necessarily. Gerrard could have opted himself for a jury trial.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Rav67

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 22, 2009, 01:58:23 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on July 22, 2009, 01:09:30 PM
Affray

Public Order Act 1986 section 3

Sentence Guildlines
A financial fine of up to £5,000 and/or 6 months custody for less serious cases of Affray, but if this case goes to the Crown Court there is a possibility of a greater sentence.

If the magistrates feel on the evidence their sentencing powers are sufficient they will hear the case. However, having heard the case and the offender's history they then feel their sentencing powers are insufficient they can send the offender up to Crown Court for sentencing only in front of a judge.

Custody is the starting point in their sentencing decision but there is power to reduce the sentence by up to 1/3 for an early guilty plea, which may mean that custody can be avoided by the offender co-operating at the earliest stages. As an alternative to custody, the sentence may be a community punishment e.g. community service, which is served in the community.

The magistrates or judge must also consider compensation for loss or damage caused by the offence to be paid by the offender to the victim(s). Whether or not the offence is regarded as serious depends on the aggravating and mitigating factors.

This case is being heard at the Crown Court so the magistrates must consider it serious. I'm surprised he didn't plead guilty along with the others who where present. To be guilty of Affray you don't actually have to throw a punch or kick the victim. Maybe he's hoping that the Jury will come down on the side of an England footballer in his home city.

Not necessarily. Gerrard could have opted himself for a jury trial.

What would O'Rourke have advised him to do?

bingobus

Quote from: Tankie on July 22, 2009, 01:53:28 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 22, 2009, 01:37:44 PM

Eh ???

I just put up my view like anyone else but for some reason i kept being asked to explain them...but a fairly poor role model for kids anyway but yet thousands of Irish love him...what does that say about them..

It means they are entitled to form their own opinions and don't have to toe the line of the opinion of what anti-soccer agenda. Its doesn't mean they are any less of a person.

Stevie Gerard is 28 and has never been in the news for any incidents before. He made one mistake and will pay for it, when the full facts have been heard.

I challenge anyone to say they have not made a mistake that they regreat.

He does not deserve to be labelled a sc**bag because he made one mistake.

the Deel Rover

Eh ???

surprised at you jumping to conclusions Tankie from looking at the video evidence if looks like he got the 1st slap also as regards calling some one a sc**bag, a member of the dublin gaa team got hit in a nightclub 3 years ago after a match is he also a sc**bag because some drunk fcuker didn't like who he was and decided to give him a slap, which one of them was the sc**bag ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

slievegullion

Does anyone know anymore detail about the ongoings of the case like when will they put forward gerards defence? Will be interesting to hear what they have to say. Im leaning closer to the idea that he probably should just admitted guilty and came away with a slap on the wrist, unless maybe he truly believes he did nothing wrong?

Lecale2

He doesn't want a conviction. It could cause all sorts of problems down the line if he's travelling abroad. Now that it's at the Crown Court he'll take his chances.

Eye witness account from BBC:
Barman Nathaniel Lockie, 20, told the court Mr Gerrard used his left hand to pull Mr McGee's jumper over his head before launching uppercuts with his right. Mr Lockie, who was on duty on the night, claimed he thought Doran was the player's minder "by the way he presented himself".

Doran, 29, of Woodlands Road, Ian Gerrard Smith, 19, of Hilary Avenue, and Paul McGrattan, 31, of Linden Drive, all Huyton, admit affray.

Accrington Stanley footballers Robert Grant, 19, of Enstone Avenue, Litherland, and Ian Dunbavin, 28, of Guildford Road, Southport, have also admitted affray.

John McGrattan, 34, of Rimmer Avenue, Huyton, has admitted threatening behaviour after denying affray.

The trial continues.

CCTV, testimony from victim and eye witness and the others present plead guilty. Doesn't look good for him on the face of it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on July 22, 2009, 10:19:49 PM
Just saw the footage again on the news. It is very clear. Gerrard's mate elbowed yer man "off the ball". Yer man bent down and Gerrard clearly hammered a couple of digs into him.
Which news? Haven't seen it yet but the very fact that almost all his mates have admitted guilt would make me assume that he landed a few fly digs too.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

DennistheMenace

Quote from: Lecale2 on July 22, 2009, 02:49:40 PM
He doesn't want a conviction. It could cause all sorts of problems down the line if he's travelling abroad. Now that it's at the Crown Court he'll take his chances.

Eye witness account from BBC:
Barman Nathaniel Lockie, 20, told the court Mr Gerrard used his left hand to pull Mr McGee's jumper over his head before launching uppercuts with his right. Mr Lockie, who was on duty on the night, claimed he thought Doran was the player's minder "by the way he presented himself".

Doran, 29, of Woodlands Road, Ian Gerrard Smith, 19, of Hilary Avenue, and Paul McGrattan, 31, of Linden Drive, all Huyton, admit affray.

Accrington Stanley footballers Robert Grant, 19, of Enstone Avenue, Litherland, and Ian Dunbavin, 28, of Guildford Road, Southport, have also admitted affray.

John McGrattan, 34, of Rimmer Avenue, Huyton, has admitted threatening behaviour after denying affray.

The trial continues.

CCTV, testimony from victim and eye witness and the others present plead guilty. Doesn't look good for him on the face of it.

How so ? Pennant didn't seem to have any problems.

Tony Baloney

Saw it. Done him. His mate elbowed the fella and when he was offguard Gerrard got stuck in. No excuses should talk him out of it.