Ard Mhacha U18 v Cill Dara U18, Páirc Bhreifne, 2pm, Satharn, 1ú Lúnasa

Started by PatDaly, July 21, 2009, 04:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatDaly

Armagh likely next play Kerry on Sunday August 23rd in Croke Park. This will be an opportunity for revenge for 1994 when Kerry gave Armagh minors a bit of a hiding in the All-Ireland semi-final. Kerry went on to win the Tommy Markham cup that year. This was the last time Kerry were All-Ireland minor champions.

Denn Forever

Armagh worth their win but Kildare kicked it away.  When two points down, Kildare went for a goal again which brought off a flying save.

Note to forwards, no goalkeeper like to be beat by the same type of shot!

Some brilliant fielding by the armagh players and their forwards always looked the most dangerous especially No. 13.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Armamike

From the radio it sounded like a greatt 15 min spell in the first half won the game for Armagh. It was getting hairy with 5 mins to go, Armagh getting a lucky break with the Kildare own goal and a couple of missed scores. The experience will have done them no harm at all, and they should be battle hardened for the semi.
That's just, like your opinion man.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Just in the door. Delighted with the result  ;D. Good game of football with an exciting finish - well worth the trip.

First half was as fine a half's performance as I've seen from any Armagh side for 4 or 5 years. Armagh were completely on top with some excellent scores particularly from Eugene McVerry who gave an absolute exhibition of scoring. The left half back from Cross scored an excellent point after a great move and Gavin McParland showed his soccer skills for the goal. Armagh led 1-10 to 1-3 at half time and probably should have been even further ahead, missing a few good cahnces late in the half.

To be fair to Kildare, they refused to let Armagh pull away and there 6 points in it when they got a great goal which took them within 3. They got another score and were completely on top at midfield wth 5 minutes to go and looked like salvaging at least a draw. Kildare couldn't get any closer though as they kicked 3 or 4 very bad wides and had a goal effort well saved. They came the own goal which finished the match. Felt desperately sorry for the Kildare lad who passed it into his own net, especially as his interception had saved a certain goal. Awful way to lose a match but I think Armagh just about deserved it. If they can replicate their first half form they should have a great chance in the rest of the competition. Thought McVerry was superb and midfield was very good until the last 15, particularly Carragher from Silverbridge, possibly they began to tire a little after that. Good to see that it seems to be different players who are starring in each game.

I noticed from the programme that Kerry have won all 7 quarter finals they've played in. Hadn't realised they've not won the All Ireland sine 94. How strong is the Roscommon team epected to be? I think they only lost the Connacht final after a replay?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Minder

Quote from: PatDaly on August 01, 2009, 03:47:29 PM
Armagh likely next play Kerry on Sunday August 23rd in Croke Park. This will be an opportunity for revenge for 1994 when Kerry gave Armagh minors a bit of a hiding in the All-Ireland semi-final. Kerry went on to win the Tommy Markham cup that year. This was the last time Kerry were All-Ireland minor champions.
If i remember right it was on before the Down v Cork AISF, 15 years later it is the only two football matches I have seen in Croke Park
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Minder on August 01, 2009, 05:08:52 PM
Quote from: PatDaly on August 01, 2009, 03:47:29 PM
If i remember right it was on before the Down v Cork AISF, 15 years later it is the only two football matches I have seen in Croke Park

That was it alright Minder. Remember going as a kid. That was back when they were starting to clamp down on children being lifted over the turnstiles so my da was questioned about whether I had a ticket and said I hadn't, a Garda gave us one for free! Never seen that before or since.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

bennydorano

Very exciting game and as usual Armagh put you through the ringer everytime.  We were holding on with about 5 minutes to go and a Kildare backpass meant for the goalie went in to seal the game.  

Have to say I though we more than deserved the win, the first half performance was good as your likely to see for the rest of the year, totally bossed the game and the forwards ran riot on the possession that was being won around the middle, Kildare scored 1-3 in about the first 15 mins and didn't register again until the second half.  Hard to pinpoint individuals as it was a fantastic team performance in the first half, but McVerry absolutely tortured the FB, who incredulously stayed on him for the full 60mins. MCParland(goal) and Grugan chipped in with some good scores.  

The wind seemed to be swirling more than favouring any team but the run of the second half probably did show that there was a fair advantage.  Kildare definitely upped their game in the second half, but  helped by some soft refeering decisions. Near the end we were hanging on for dear life as Kildare fired wide after woeful wide, then the own goal and another point to wrap it up.

Good performance but the second half shows there's plenty to work on, the number 9 Donnelly and 6 rowland looked a bit at sea in the second half IMO.  Think the CHB & FB positions are a concern as Deccie McKenna was asked to do a firefighting job in both positions on ocassion.  Carragher in MF, MCParland, Grugan and McVerry were VG with Tasker working very hard too.  Think the N7 tagged on a coule of points as well.   Murnon? wearing 11 but playing MF had an excellent game as well, his best yet by a long way.

Donnellys Hollow

First off, well done Armagh. Better side won on the day without a doubt.

Kildare's lack of natural forwards came back to haunt us again. We couldn't get Cribbin and Mulhall involved in the match in the first half and we paid the price for it. To give them their due though, they showed great heart again to battle their way back into it just like the Meath game and the two Dublin matches. With a few minutes to go when we got it back to two points, I thought we might sneak it but the goal at the end was cruel and unfortunate. Seán Dowling was badly missed at full-back and he would have made a better fist of curbing McVerry.

Armagh looked equipped to go all the way but most of this Kildare team are eligible again next year and the experience will benefit them in the long run. No reason why they can't give the All-Ireland a decent rattle next year if they unearth one or two more scoring forwards.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

armaghniac

The lube on the RTE radio sport at 5.30 said that Armagh were playing the winners of Dublin and Down in the final! The tv sport didn't even give the score!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mountainboii

Really glad I went to this one, these young lads are doing a pretty good job of salvaging something from a crappy year for Armagh football.

First half performance was magnificent, but for the sloppy goal given away it probably would've been curtains there and then for Kildare. But we left them just within reach and nearly paid for it.

The big positives for me were the way we looked physically much superior to Kildare in the first half, bossing midfield and running straight through their defence. Not many have really mentioned him, but I thought Murnin was fantastic in that first half. He must've taken 6 or 7 kickouts, along with chipping over a point or two and getting in a last ditch block at the other end. His performance was a huge surprise to me as he'd looked ordinary enough in the games to date. McVerry was awesome too, had the beating of his man every single time. He looks the real deal if he can be kept at it over the next few years. Tasker was a pest for the Kildare defence too but he needs to produce a bit more end product for me, some of his decision making is very poor but maybe that'll come with age.

Despite the win there were also plenty of negatives, some of which have crept up in other games too. The obvious one is the continued concession of goals - 7 in 4 games now. Sooner rather than later we're gonna pay for this. Not for the first time I thought there were big problems in defence, with Kildare getting a lot of joy from both running down the middle of us and from hitting high balls in on top of the FB line. Don't wanna be too critical of the young lads but I think there is a serious lack of physical presence in the middle of the defence with neither the FB and CHB being particularly big. The two corner backs and the keeper are small men too, and this compounds the problems faced when high balls are hit in. I was also concerned about the general fitness of the team. This is an issue I remember raising after the Tyrone game too. A lot of Armagh lads, especially those around the middle, looked out on their feet less than half way through the second half. The number nine, Donnelly I think, was visible shattered for most of the second half yet stayed on until there were only 2 or 3 minutes to go. This leads me to my next concern, Kildare were on top for a good 20 minutes in the second half but no changes were made on the Armagh team until the game was nearly over. I can't understand why changes weren't made earlier when so many lads looked tired and we were beginning to take a tanking at midfield.

Good win but plenty to work on - suppose thats not a bad position to be in really :)

Throw ball

One of the best games I have seen this year, although the rain tried to spoil it for the second half. Although McVerry will rightly get the plaudits I thought some of the passing from Grugan were top notch. He really can find a man. Also the forward running off the ball was very good. I was also surprised to see no subs introduced until so late in the game. Overall I think Armagh had the better forwards and Kildare the better defence. McKenna played well in every position, Murnin and Carragher did well until they tired. Up front apart from McVerry and Grugan I thought McParland played well. Actually thought Tasker had one of his poorer games, although he obviously has bags of ability. For Kildare I thought the number 11 (Cribben?) looked a real star.

Armaghtothebone

Great game.Great result. Dismal crowd.
Firstly a note on Kildare who desrve great credit , never gave up and suffered one of the most bizarre own goals I've ever seen in 35 years watching football.The poor lad who "scored" it was distraught at the end. Was'nt his fault Kildare lost.
Armagh dazzling in patches, some scores of real class. We faded for long periods in the second half though. Winning margin flatters us 2/3 points would have been a fairer reflection.
Still an AISF to look forward to.

mackers

The first half was good a performance from an Armagh side as I've seen in a long time. The lad McVerry reminds me of Stevie McDonnell, Tasker had a quiet first half but won a number of frees when all the Kildare backs could do with him was foul him in the second. What I like about this team is different players stand up to be counted in different games with the lad Murnin outstanding. He has some spring and got up a number of great catches in the first half.  Croke Park will suit this set of forwards.
However as other posters have said we have weaknesses, with the keeper being a very small lad and no physical presence at FB. This has to be addressed before the semi and Paul McShane has to trust his bench more and fire on the subs earlier.

Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

David McKeown

2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner