Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

What club does Ben O'Reilly play hurling for? I see he won a colleges All Star in hurling to add to the football one he won last year. I know he's at school at Louis Kilkeel and plays his football for Loughinisland but who does he hurl for?

dundrumite

Doesnt play for a club, dont think hes played hurling in a number of years. Either a very talented lad or maybe that shows the standard of ulster hurling at college level,prob somewhere in between. Either way congrats to him. I think his grandfather is yer man o'reilly whom took the county senior hurlers.

Blue Island

Quote from: Lecale2 on December 04, 2007, 04:55:57 PM
What club does Ben O'Reilly play hurling for? I see he won a colleges All Star in hurling to add to the football one he won last year. I know he's at school at Louis Kilkeel and plays his football for Loughinisland but who does he hurl for?

He used to play for Balgalget along with his brother Jamie. Neither plays club hurling at the moment and have not done so for a few years now. Were fairly handy at it, but football commitments and travel put an end to hurling They have a younger brother and all three would have grown up practising hurling with their father on Loughinisland's pitch, which was an usual sight. There grandfather was a big hurling man, having managed Down for a period.

Leo

Quote from: umpire on November 30, 2007, 11:40:27 AM
In my experience following the Down teams from 1960 era , these are my seiection of best players who play for Down Senior Football team.

1. Neil Collins, Carryduff
2. Tommy McGovern, Burren
3. Leo Murphy, Lisnarcree
4. Tom O'Hare, Mayobridge
5. Cathal Digney, Saval
6. Dan McCartan, Glenn
7. Joe Lennon, Aghderg
8. Colm McAlarney, Liatriom
9. Jarlath Carey, Dundrum
10. Greg Blaney, Carryduff
11. James McCartan (sen), Glenn
12. Paddy Doherty, Ballykinlar
13. Mickey Linden, Mayobridge
14. Sean O'Neill, Newry Mitchels
15. Ambrose Rodgers (sen) Longstone

My second selection

1.Micheal McVeigh
2.Brendan Sloan, Attical
3.Conor Deegan, Downpatrick
4. Mark Turley, Glenn
5. Pasty O'Hagan, Clonduff
6. Barry Breen, Downpatrick
7. DJ Kane, Newry Shamrocks
8. Liam Austin, Rostrevor
9. Brendan Toner, Castlewellan
10. Ross Carr, Clonduff
11. Dalsey Mooney, Clonduff
12. James McCartan (jun), Tullylish
13. Peter Rooney, Warrenpoint,
14. John McCartan, Glenn
15. Benny Coulter, Mayobridge.

Others players  who have also played well.
Geogre Lavery, Kilwarlin
Pat Rice, Castlewellan,
Kevin Mussen, Clonduff
Tony Hadden, Newry Shamrocks
Breen Morgan, Annaclone
Willie Doyle, Liatriom
James Milligan, Ardglass
Micheal Cole, Rostrevor
Micheal Cunningham, Bryansford
Cecil Ward, Bryansford
Adrain McAuilfield, St Mitchels
Paddy Kennedy, Glenn
Brendan McGovern, Burren
Jim McCartan, Glenn
Donal Bell, Teconnagh
Brendan Mason, Loughinisland
Paul Higgins, Ballymartin
Paddy O'Rourke, Burren
Gregory McCartan, Ballymartin
Eamon Burns Bryansford.
Gary Mason. Loughinisland
Best match
1994 in Celtic Park Derry, Down v Derry in Ulster Championship

Best individual performance
Tom O'Hare, Mayobridge in 1968 All Ireland Semi-final against great Galway side who have won three in row 64,65 and 66.

Top Ten players
1.   Sean O'Neill
2.   Tom O'Hare
3.   Colm McAlarnery
4.   Paddy Doherty
5.   James McCartan (sen)
6.   Greg Blaney
7.   Mickey Linden
8.   Leo Murphy
9.   Tommy McGovern
10. Joe Lennon

Best Down Club Player
Shorty Treanor Burren,
never made any impact on Down Senior team., should have been good enough for Down on 91 and 94 teams.

Good selections Umpire and how did I omit Leo Murphy & Jarlath Carey (RIP)?
As for your top 15 definitely cant omit Breen I'd put him in place of Ambrose on your team) and Neil collins may be fresh in your mind but McKay was definitely better but Slim Donnan was best.
Fierce tame altogether

Leo

Quote from: Mourne Rover on December 01, 2007, 12:52:35 AM
Many thanks to Umpire for his selections, and particulary for reminding us about Dalsey Mooney. He was a fantastic midfielder, so good that he kept Colm McAlarney back in the defence for the 1966 Ulster minor champions. I was at that final at Casement Park, and can just about remember the day as, for I think the only time in history, we won both minor and senior on the same afternoon.

Dalsey got injured at an early stage in his career, and never got much chance to show what he could do at senior level. The general feeling among Down supporters at the time was that he was better than McAlarney, so I can put it no higher than that.

As for Mr Mallon's suggestion that Benny is better than Mickey, I am really not sure where to begin. At the risk of repeating previous posts, Benny has yet to play a senior championship match at Croke Park. I hope he does so soon, but Mickey has been there and not just
taken our breath away but finished up with an overall player of the year award.

Benny is foremost among a group of relatively young Down players who are capable of taking us back where we belong. Mickey is simply a legend, in Mayobridge, in Down and across Ireland. However, let's keep the debate going.

Agree entirley about Dalsey, but can't really consider him in an all-time list because of lack of senior games. I did mention him elsewhere about "almost greats" a few days ago.
Fierce tame altogether

Square Ball

Just want to bring the GPA Grant issue to a local level to see what the mood is about the county. What support is there in the clubs that have county players, do the members support these players, is there a chance that this could divide loyalties, has the threat of a strike alienated them?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

umpire

Regarding Down no 1 goalkeeper.
I remember Eddie Mckay playing and he was well protected by fabulous
full back line in George Laverty, Leo Murphy and Pat Rice. Leo was always in around the goalmouth and given great protection to goalie. Leo also took all kickout.
Today goalkeepers can be isolated when the full backs roam outfield.
I still go for Neil Collins for his performances in winning 2 Sam Maguire.

5 Sams

Speaking of keepers...anybody remember Lawrence McAlinden??? He wasnt half bad either...then you had Marty McCabe and Eddie Gallagher...Eddie might not have played much Senior Championship football but he was a helluva keeper......jaysus I'm getting old :-[
The Aristocrat Years

islandboy

lecale2, where did you hear or read about ben o reilly winning the college allstar?

also umpire, how could tommy mc govern be above james mc cartan junior? his display in the 1991 final was as good as anything i have seen from any down player.

Whitehair

The allstars were in yesterdays irish news, very surprised that james coyle from st pats knock and ballycran didnt get one. A few 'token' awards possibly!

umpire

5ive Times- Down goalkeeper in 1960 McKay first name is Eddie, Eamon is Irish name for Eddie

saffron sam2

What's the story with managers in Division 1 next year? How many are staying and how many are going?

Just intrigued like.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

amallon

Kilcoo have parted company with their manager Heaney.  The Bridge are likely to be keeping the same management team.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Bacon

According to Matt in the Recorder Annsborough are reforming and intend to enter competitions next year. What's the story?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

lfdown2

liatroim parted company with mccomiskey