Ballaghaderreen - what is the gig?

Started by Aaron Boone, May 11, 2012, 10:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

And play for some club as far from Straffan as possible ... Athy most likely.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Rosfan wanted some hype..

QuoteBallaghaderreen border legacy throws up unique provincial final

As far as I know, Sunday will be the first time in history that two clubs from the same county meet in a provincial club football final. This will happen when Mayo champions Ballaghaderreen confront defending provincial kingpins St Brigid's Kiltoom in the Connacht final.

The explanation for this unusual happening is that the parish of Ballaghaderreen is, in fact, located in Roscommon for local government purposes.

The origin of this curious situation dates back to 1888. The town was then officially part of Mayo but, as a result of the influence of an English landlord, who stood to benefit financially, it was 'legally' transferred to county Roscommon.

However, two years earlier Ballaghaderreen GAA club had been formed, and being solid GAA traditionalists already, they decided they were not to going to change their allegiance to that crowd from Roscommon but were going to remain in what they still considered to be the beautiful county of Mayo.

As time passed by, for 124 years in fact, the club has remained staunchly Mayo.

Every now and then there is an outburst of debate about the matter, but thankfully it is usually carried out in a fairly non-confrontational manner.

That is only what I have been told and it may well be that there are more skirmishes or divided opinions on special occasions such as when the two counties meet in a Connacht final, and Roscommon people feel less than happy when they see their county's second largest town covered in red and green.

On these occasions, the fervour of Ballaghaderreen people for the Mayo colours probably exceeds that of any town actually in Mayo.

Over the years there have been odd attempts to, as Roscommon GAA people would claim, rectify this over-a-century-long hijacking of part of their county.

And whenever the Ballaghaderreen club have county players for Mayo, as is the case right now, then the level of debate can be sure to escalate.

In the early 1990s a motion was put to the Connacht Council to change the club into the Roscommon fold. Roscommon and Sligo were in favour but Mayo, Leitrim and Galway were against.

feelings

As far as most people are concerned, that is the end of the story, but the strong feelings still persist.

Writing in a recent Connacht final programme, former Mayo and Ballaghaderreen player Sean Kilbride – who later transferred to play with Roscommon, won Connacht medals with that county in 1978/79 and whose sons Senan and Ian will play for St Brigid's against Ballaghaderreen on Sunday – wrote: "For those like myself who grew up in a Roscommon household with a Roscommon sense of identity, they should be allowed to choose, especially since it is in their own county.

"That would be the right thing to do, because there is a resentment in Roscommon that the second biggest town in the county is lost to it in GAA terms, even though the town is administered by Roscommon and in every way is a Roscommon town."

So there is still enough sentiment around the subject to stir debate at least. But either way, a club from the geographical county of Roscommon will be Connacht champions on Sunday and I am sure there will be an excellent sporting attitude all round at the final, so eagerly awaited throughout Connacht and beyond.

Thankfully, that is the GAA way when these geographical peculiarities arise.

There are other examples of border divisions like this in other parts of Ireland but nothing as substantial as the one in Ballaghaderreen.

- Eugene McGee

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/eugene-mcgee-ballaghaderreen-border-legacy-throws-up-unique-provincial-final-3297242.html

spuds

Syphilus, where

Quote from: Syferus on May 12, 2012, 01:50:28 AM
Our county council is kind enough to fund Ballagh GAA. How sweet of them. I'm going to ask the next councillor I meet why the overall issue of Ballagh has been more forcefully contested by them. I've lived here all my life and I can barely remember hearing a peep from local politicians. Now that Ballagh is paired with Castlerea as one electoral area maybe a Castlerea councillor on the boil will be opportunistic enough to push this into the agenda.

The town itself most certainly has alot of Roscommon people, with the players who want to have the chance of palying for their county playing for the nearest Roscommon club. The exact split is murky because alot of people from outside the town itself identify themselves as part of the community and they come with perhaps even more baggage than the residents. Even Sligo is within throwing distance, there was always a few Sligoians in Nathy's in every year in my school days. The main street looked like it was decked out by a colour blind event organiser before the 2006 AI finals. It's the place you want to be if you want some championship banter with your drink, that's for sure.

This whole issue isn't even as simple as one family being on one side or the other. As an example, two of Andy Moran's cousins, Seanie McDermott, the Roscommon inter-county corner-back, and Derek Moran play for Western Gaels, a Roscommon club. Even Andy's father is a Roscommon man. It's got to the point now that people actively choose sides as children - do I support my parents' county or do I play with all my school friends at the local club? The whole situation is as complete a mess as you're likely to ever find.

I think the end-game is inevitable and will be that Ballagh GAA will either get an exception to allow its players to play for Roscommon or be forced to play in Roscommon as a club. It may even take decades more, but Ballagh GAA's make-up is becoming less and less hard-line Mayo and more of a mixture of both counties. The idea of a separate club was tried but it didn't take hold and Mayo people should be thanking their lucky stars for that because if one became established Ballagh's Mayo heritage would be washed away in a generation. The writing has been on the wall from the moment Ballagh moved to Roscommon, no matter what the emotional position of Mayo people.
Where abouts are you from ? Maybe like like The Cake a Castlerea head !!
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: spuds on April 02, 2013, 01:13:04 AM
Syphilus, where

Our county council is kind enough to fund Ballagh GAA. How sweet of them. I'm going to ask the next councillor I meet why the overall issue of Ballagh has been more forcefully contested by them. I've lived here all my life and I can barely remember hearing a peep from local politicians. Now that Ballagh is paired with Castlerea as one electoral area maybe a Castlerea councillor on the boil will be opportunistic enough to push this into the agenda.

The town itself most certainly has alot of Roscommon people, with the players who want to have the chance of palying for their county playing for the nearest Roscommon club. The exact split is murky because alot of people from outside the town itself identify themselves as part of the community and they come with perhaps even more baggage than the residents. Even Sligo is within throwing distance, there was always a few Sligoians in Nathy's in every year in my school days. The main street looked like it was decked out by a colour blind event organiser before the 2006 AI finals. It's the place you want to be if you want some championship banter with your drink, that's for sure.

This whole issue isn't even as simple as one family being on one side or the other. As an example, two of Andy Moran's cousins, Seanie McDermott, the Roscommon inter-county corner-back, and Derek Moran play for Western Gaels, a Roscommon club. Even Andy's father is a Roscommon man. It's got to the point now that people actively choose sides as children - do I support my parents' county or do I play with all my school friends at the local club? The whole situation is as complete a mess as you're likely to ever find.

I think the end-game is inevitable and will be that Ballagh GAA will either get an exception to allow its players to play for Roscommon or be forced to play in Roscommon as a club. It may even take decades more, but Ballagh GAA's make-up is becoming less and less hard-line Mayo and more of a mixture of both counties. The idea of a separate club was tried but it didn't take hold and Mayo people should be thanking their lucky stars for that because if one became established Ballagh's Mayo heritage would be washed away in a generation. The writing has been on the wall from the moment Ballagh moved to Roscommon, no matter what the emotional position of Mayo people.

The simple solution is to move Ballagh back to mother Mayo.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 02, 2013, 02:19:36 AM
Syphilus, where

And move Ardnaree and Ballina up to the Moy back to Sligo, like for like
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 02, 2013, 01:07:26 PM
Syphilus, where

What is needed is referendi along the borders, Ardnaree/North Ballina to join rejoin Sligo or stay in Mayo, Ballaghaderreen to rejoin Mayo or stay in Roscommon, the land between Tourmakeady and Galway border to rejoin Galway or stay in Mayo, Inishbofin and Inishshark to rejoin Mayo or stay in Galway. I am 100% sure of 100% victory for the Mayo cause across the board. Areas that left Mayo stay loyal to Mayo, areas that joined Mayo become Mayo to the core.

Theres something about Mayo.

Rossfan

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 02, 2013, 02:03:20 PM

There sure is.... you for a start  :P
And it doesn't get any better after that.. ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rossfan on April 02, 2013, 02:21:29 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 02, 2013, 02:03:20 PM

There sure is.... you for a start  :P
And it doesn't get any better after that.. ;D ;D

I'll take that as a compliment  ;)

You do know what I say above about all those areas is correct, it would be a clear win for the Mayo in all those cases.

ballinaman

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 02, 2013, 01:07:26 PM
Syphilus, where

Hold on now, supporting the Rovers is enough for me. :P

sans pessimism

Its def silly season again wahoo-was wonderin
when this thread would re-appear!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Just had a re-read of the whole thread. It was good craic all the same.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

I was proud of all the Ballagh GAA lads who took down their white flags after the Roscommon final but left up Brigids' traditional colours. T'was very big of them.

I do love going to Duffy's Super Valu for the old Vodka and bread - half the store's decorations are Ros and half are Mayo. Walking around town in a Ros or Mayo jersey is like wandering around the Falls Road in a Celtic or Rangers top.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Syferus on April 02, 2013, 10:00:57 PM
I was proud of all the Ballagh GAA lads who took down their white flags after the Roscommon final but left up Brigids' traditional colours. T'was very big of them.

I do love going to Duffy's Super Valu for the old Vodka and bread - half the store's decorations are Ros and half are Mayo. Walking around town in a Ros or Mayo jersey is like wandering around the Falls Road in a Celtic or Rangers top.

Does that make Sligonian's crowd the Berwick Rangers or Gretna of the occupied territories?

spuds

The debate is put to rest here as the locals speak up and show their loyalty.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A10191729%3A0%3A%3A

2hr 9min 45sec in
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard