NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Plenty of pace in that team

square_ball

Quote from: An Watcher on January 27, 2024, 09:40:16 PMPlenty of pace in that team

Yeah they do. O'Hanlon especially is very hard to stop when he gets going. 

Monaghan have had a lot of good u17/20 teams over the past 5 years so their conveyor belt is as good as any county.

marty34

Quote from: ONeill on January 27, 2024, 09:35:48 PMHard not to admire Monaghan. Brilliant footballing county.

Very true.

Probably condescending but they do punch above their weight.

Corey seems like a decent lad. 

Blowitupref

Quote from: Main Street on January 27, 2024, 09:16:27 PMThat win had to be clawed from a frantic Dublin. As Schkite alluded to, the debutantes were brilliant, just so composed and skillful.
But in saying that, the Dubs were rusty as fck until the last 10 mins but Monaghan went toe to toe in the final minutes and prevailed.

Another stat thanks to Maurice Brosnan

Since the famous Donegal ambush of 2014, Dublin have only conceded three goals twice.

2022: Monaghan 3-13 Dublin 1-18
2024: Monaghan 3-9 Dublin 1-14
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

armaghniac

Quote from: marty34 on January 27, 2024, 10:39:33 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 27, 2024, 09:35:48 PMHard not to admire Monaghan. Brilliant footballing county.

Very true.

Nothing condescending about it, they are a great example.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on January 27, 2024, 10:47:28 PM
Quote from: marty34 on January 27, 2024, 10:39:33 PM

Very true.

Nothing condescending about it, they are a great example.
It is condescending, we are this weight!! is that not obvious by now? Just because  some people opine lower expectations does not equate to Monaghan punching above their weight when they exceed those low expectations. 

This evening one could say Dublin/Kerry punched below their weight, but Monaghan punched their weight.

SouthDublinBro

For as seriously as Monaghan seem to take this league, it's incredible that they have only ever won it once before back in the 80s. No Sams in that county either.

straightred

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on January 27, 2024, 11:13:29 PMFor as seriously as Monaghan seem to take this league, it's incredible that they have only ever won it once before back in the 80s. No Sams in that county either.
That ride you didn't get in Monaghan is still haunting you I see

Schkite

Quote from: straightred on January 27, 2024, 11:24:32 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on January 27, 2024, 11:13:29 PMFor as seriously as Monaghan seem to take this league, it's incredible that they have only ever won it once before back in the 80s. No Sams in that county either.
That ride you didn't get in Monaghan is still haunting you I see

This bro seems to have a general dislike for any Ulster county, best ignored

onefineday

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 27, 2024, 06:52:59 PMCassidy a good addition to Derry. Paul Cassidy very quiet.

McQuillan not a great ref tbh.

O'Shea is a awful dick.
Quietest I've seen Cassidy in a long time - early days, but I didn't think we were as dynamic going forward as we were last year - also can't recall a single goal chance, goals were a big feature of Derry the last couple of years - hopefully this isn't a sign of harte's conservatism.
Good win, but can we now give the Glen lads a few weeks off, for the look of it, if nothing else!

SouthOfThe Bann

Quote from: onefineday on January 28, 2024, 12:07:51 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 27, 2024, 06:52:59 PMCassidy a good addition to Derry. Paul Cassidy very quiet.

McQuillan not a great ref tbh.

O'Shea is a awful dick.
Quietest I've seen Cassidy in a long time - early days, but I didn't think we were as dynamic going forward as we were last year - also can't recall a single goal chance, goals were a big feature of Derry the last couple of years - hopefully this isn't a sign of harte's conservatism.
Good win, but can we now give the Glen lads a few weeks off, for the look of it, if nothing else!

Exactly what I was thinking. When Derry first burst on the scene in 2022 the critics and pundits were saying they don't score enough points.

Tonight they won that game without looking like scoring a goal.

Which I'm not sure is a positive or not. Derry under Gallagher made it their prerogative to go for goal whenever the opportunity arose and created several chances per game with dynamic running off the shoulder at pace and numerous bodies inside the 13.

Now they weren't always the most clinical goal scoring side but they created so many chances that they likely scored a goal in every game they played and sometimes two or three or more.

The Clare and Monaghan games spring to mind in 2022 and the Meath and Kildare games in last years league.

Mario

I had similar worries about our lack of goals but when is the last time we scored 2 goals against a top team. Donegal last year maybe, but you could argue they weren't a top team. You can't compare hammering lower half div 2 teams Vs div 1 football.

I don't think there are any significant changes in style v last year.

Itchy

Well I am not one to defend the honour of the mushroom men and they couldnt get bet enough as far as I am concerned but

population Co Monaghan - 61,000
Population Co Dublin - 1,388,000
(2016 census)

So you have to give them a bit of credit now in fairness.

Hound

Well done Monaghan.

Surprised at the strength of the Dublin team and the workrate and desire shown for a league game in January. Performance wasn't up to a whole heap, but we're in good shape overall.

Blowitupref

Lively opening 15 minutes in a wet and windy goal for Mayo as they lead 1-2 to 0-2.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose