Hawkeye

Started by Orangemac, February 23, 2011, 11:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: johnneycool on June 11, 2013, 02:55:53 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 11, 2013, 02:49:01 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 11, 2013, 02:40:13 PM
If it was there when that Morley hoor kicked the scoring wide back in 2004, we'd have been spared 'Marooned', and ye'd still know yer place in the Midlands pecking order, instead of usurping top spot!

Go away you and your usurping. No need for Hawkeye in your own backyard when last we met.  ;D

Will ye have a team at all for the backdoor?  :P

Is it not time you changed your footnote there Croí?

Still top of the pile http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Christy_Ring_Cup&action=edit&section=5

Now, Tipperary calling themselves the home of hurling.......
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

johnneycool

Aye, especially when just after driving through Urlingford and there's sign welcoming you to the home of hurling. The natives of Urlingford must have some snigger at that when they drive past it.

Hardy

It seems they've got the implementation right, with all possibilities covered, as far as I can see. The umpires can call for Hawkeye if they're unsure, the refeee can call for it if he suspects the umpires' call was wrong and the "Review Official" can notify the referee if Hawkeye disagrees with the umpires' decision, even if play has continued. 

It's all here.

Whishtup

Am I the only one who is not impressed with Hawkeye?  I can't understand why they would spend money creating a virtual image of Croke Park when you have eight cameras monitoring the fight of the ball.  Graphics look so outdated-like a Commodore 64 game or something.  Modern visual data acquisition is so powerful that I can't understand why they can't replay actual footage of the ball going over or wide, with virtual limits superimposed on that image. 

ballinaman

Quote from: Whishtup on July 12, 2013, 07:49:50 AM
Am I the only one who is not impressed with Hawkeye?  I can't understand why they would spend money creating a virtual image of Croke Park when you have eight cameras monitoring the fight of the ball.  Graphics look so outdated-like a Commodore 64 game or something.  Modern visual data acquisition is so powerful that I can't understand why they can't replay actual footage of the ball going over or wide, with virtual limits superimposed on that image.
The only thing that matters is that if it tells that the ball went wide or between the posts correctly. I don't give a shite what it looks like.

Hardy

Won't be long now until we have the annual controversy over the Sunday Game theme music.

Tubberman

For the amount of times that it will actually be used, would it be worth the additional investment for frills like that?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ballinaman on July 12, 2013, 08:28:54 AM
The only thing that matters is that if it tells that the ball went wide or between the posts correctly. I don't give a shite what it looks like.
Agreed. I couldn't give a damn if they showed sponsored ads before and after the action simulation.  Even if Hawkeye was to be used only once in, say, the closing seconds of an AI final when the game hung in the balance, it would have proved its worth.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Croí na hÉireann

I think Hawkeye is a brilliant addition to Croke Park. Last Sunday we had wides that were points and points that were wides overruled by Hawkeye. It's quick and definitive. Plus it might put an end to the practice of the keeper trying to influence the umpire to wave it wide. Only downside is we will have lads making that stupid box shape to the referee. Brian Gavin would want to keep his distance from Tommy Walsh if he starts that crack.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

You run the risk of refs using it for the sake of using it too.
In the first half of the Dublin Kildare game there was a clear wide, at least 3 feet outside the post and the ref went to Hawkeye.
Not one person in the ground though it went over.
The consensus around me was the ref was only dying to use it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

tommysmith

Quote from: Jinxy on July 12, 2013, 03:46:41 PM
In the first half of the Dublin Kildare game there was a clear wide, at least 3 feet outside the post and the ref went to Hawkeye.

Yeah i though that myself he couldn't wait to get a go at it, it's not as if it was even close to a score.

Zulu

That will pass too.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on July 12, 2013, 03:46:41 PM
The ref was dead right. I think anybody with a bit of sense would have done the same if they were in his place.
That ball was wide and the ref knew this but he wanted to see Hawkeye in action in case he'd have to use it later for real.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Whishtup

Quote from: Tubberman on July 12, 2013, 08:44:36 AM

For the amount of times that it will actually be used, would it be worth the additional investment for frills like that?

How much did it cost?  Surely it cost a load to pay programmers to produce the 3d graphical images of Croker?  I just think that unless we are looking at the real thing there is always the margin for error-cameras losing position, equipment going out of calibration, etc. 
If the rotating image is the equivalent of reality then it must be easier to use the actual image.  There could be a plausible reason for not using the actual image-any techies out there?

western exile

Quote from: Hardy on June 11, 2013, 03:44:49 PM
It seems they've got the implementation right, with all possibilities covered, as far as I can see. The umpires can call for Hawkeye if they're unsure, the refeee can call for it if he suspects the umpires' call was wrong and the "Review Official" can notify the referee if Hawkeye disagrees with the umpires' decision, even if play has continued. 

It's all here.

So is the umpire pointless?
;)