FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Saffron_sam20 on June 19, 2023, 02:23:46 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on June 19, 2023, 01:32:41 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 19, 2023, 01:22:12 PM
Step back and think about this.

One of the most mediocre wingers in Ireland's history is about to hit the 100 cap mark.

That a series of managers have had to rely on McClean should be indication enough that Ireland aren't underachieving these days, and that the manager isn't the issue.

Well , think  about this then ....... Aidan mc geady  got 93 caps.  Yup, you read that right,  ninety three. That is more  than Paul McGrath,  Niall Quinn, Packie  Liam Brady or Roy Keane

Mc clean  at least gets stuck in . Reckless at times , but  I'd have him in the  team ahead of mcgeady  any day. And  ahead of a  lot of those other players  around now

McGeady was a far far better player than McClean would ever be, not even close
Moot point both were as good in their time as was available. Like McClean or loth him at least he gives 100% not his fault that he is limited and he is not alone in the Ireland setup over the last 10 years. That said Ireland have had a better mix of players available to them than NI but NI have had Michael O'Neill who seems to get the best out of limited talent.

imtommygunn

McGeady was one of the most - if not the most - frustrating players I ever saw play. You just kept thinking something could happen when he got the ball and it rarely ever did. I'd have McClean's endeavor over him any day of the week.

From the Bunker

I'm not in to comparing, but more appreciating players who play for Ireland.

I appreciate that McGeady chose Ireland.

I appreciate that McClean loves Ireland.

From the Bunker

Ronnie Whelan played a total of 53 times for the national side between 1981 and 1995.

Mad to think McClean will play nearly double that between 2012 and 2023.

yellowcard

I had hoped that Stephen Kenny might grow into the job and put his stamp on the team whenever he got the players in that he wanted. However they have lost any sort of identity now and the football isn't even that great to watch either, we are still relying mostly on set pieces to create chances.

It's a massive jump to go from LOI to international level and perhaps he should have been kept at underage level or as an assistant coach away from the media glare. His media interviews can be painful and I fear that it won't end well for him although he will probably see out this campaign to see if he can salvage third spot in the group.

weareros

Think will give this game a miss. The sight of Kenny rushing out and punching the air when we score against a rock with population of 32,000 will be just stomach churning stuff.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 19, 2023, 04:52:05 PM
I'm not in to comparing, but more appreciating players who play for Ireland.

I appreciate that McGeady chose Ireland.

I appreciate that McClean loves Ireland.
I appreciate talented players who chose Ireland like Kevin Kilbane.

red hander

Quote from: yellowcard on June 19, 2023, 05:14:29 PM
I had hoped that Stephen Kenny might grow into the job and put his stamp on the team whenever he got the players in that he wanted. However they have lost any sort of identity now and the football isn't even that great to watch either, we are still relying mostly on set pieces to create chances.

It's a massive jump to go from LOI to international level and perhaps he should have been kept at underage level or as an assistant coach away from the media glare. His media interviews can be painful and I fear that it won't end well for him although he will probably see out this campaign to see if he can salvage third spot in the group.

I was in Athens for game and it was pretty woeful. It was night and day compared to the performance against France. I was willing to give Kenny a fair go, but I think he's running out of road now. The inconsistency is hard to put up with.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023/0619/1390045-departing-liam-brady-no-longer-in-love-with-the-game/

In an interview with RTÉ's News at One this afternoon, Brady said that while he still enjoyed watching great players, he had grown disillusioned with many of the factors bearing down on the sport, notably the prevelance of sportswashing and the influence of social media.

"Things have changed with football now. I'm not in love with the game anymore," Brady told presenter Gavin Jennings.

"I like watching it and watching the best players. But all the things that surround it are not really for me.

"And then I suppose the arrival of social media in the last 10 years. I'm an old dog and you can't teach me new tricks.

"So, Twitter and Facebook and things like that, they're all gobbledegook to me.

"The business side of it, it's a multi-billion pound business. The ownership of clubs in England, the arrival of these countries, Qatar, Saudi Arabia. I don't feel it's been that good for the game to be honest."

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

France needed a penalty an OG and early goal to win against these part timers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea