FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Cobra on September 06, 2021, 08:47:29 AM
Granted I'm not a big ROI fan but you'd imagine Kenny is on borrowed time. 1 win 15. It's not the LOI anymore.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ken-early-ireland-supporters-must-be-patient-with-stephen-kenny-s-team-1.4665663

It's the sort of result you can expect when you have won five of your last 31 competitive matches. Wales (without Gareth Bale), Gibraltar (x2), Georgia and Moldova: that's the entire list of teams Ireland have beaten since the start of 2017. On and off the pitch, we'll get nowhere without patience.

Over a 4 year period between 1968 and 1971 the BIG didn't win a single match. Things can get a lot worse before they get worse.
A good result for this group would be a win over Azerbaijan  and revenge over Luxembourg.

tiempo

Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2021, 09:59:54 AM
Granted I'm not a big ROI fan but you'd imagine Kenny is on borrowed time. 1 win 15. It's not the LOI anymore.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ken-early-ireland-supporters-must-be-patient-with-stephen-kenny-s-team-1.4665663

It's the sort of result you can expect when you have won five of your last 31 competitive matches. Wales (without Gareth Bale), Gibraltar (x2), Georgia and Moldova: that's the entire list of teams Ireland have beaten since the start of 2017. On and off the pitch, we'll get nowhere without patience.

Over a 4 year period between 1968 and 1971 the BIG didn't win a single match. Things can get a lot worse before they get worse.
A good result for this group would be a win over Azerbaijan  and revenge over Luxembourg.

Come back Brian Kerr all is forgiven!!
The Luxemburgers are there for the taking lol, I genuinely think the Dubs would beat that lot.
RIP Irish groundball.
Last one out switch off the lights.

SHEEDY

Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2021, 09:59:54 AM

good to know 'things can get a lot worse before they get worse'. at least we've that to look forward to  :-\
nil satis nisi optimum

Captain Scarlet

So when all this started and Kenny got the job we were all excited about Bazunu, Kelleher, Connolly, Parrott. Idah, Knight and more. That's not even including the likes of Omobamidele and Collins at the back...
Now the system that produced all those lads is shite and the reason we can't play is that we have no players and there is nothing Kenny can do about it...so the FAI need to build an academy system (which they do!)
Our U17s also beat Mexico and there are some good players there, again in the system that is not fit for purpose...

We are playing progressive football but I saw a stat that we swung 30 crosses into the box in the second half alone that last day...a big Shane Duffy header salvages a point.

We did very well v Portugal and then he changes the formation and brings in McClean and drops McGrath. He sticks with three at the back and drops Omobamidele...

I am north anti-Kenny and I do think we are a bad team at the moment but he can't be absolved for some strange calls. If we stuck with 5-3-2 with wing backs and had Hourihane in with McGrath and Cullen we would got more control.
Troy Parrot is always poor when he pushed out wide IMO.

And it doesn't have to be an extreme of going from a progressive manager to Pulis or Big Sam but like surely questions are allowed to be asked. It's either knives out or defend the manager no matter what these days.

If we don't get some performances before the end of the campaign how can he go on?

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Hound

I thought McGrath was ill or something?

Hourihane is not up to it. Not sure if Molumby is but I'd be in favour of giving him gametime. Sub is enough for Hourihane.

Robinson also wasnt fit to start after his covid and isolation.

Itchy

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 06, 2021, 11:29:02 AM
So when all this started and Kenny got the job we were all excited about Bazunu, Kelleher, Connolly, Parrott. Idah, Knight and more. That's not even including the likes of Omobamidele and Collins at the back...
Now the system that produced all those lads is shite and the reason we can't play is that we have no players and there is nothing Kenny can do about it...so the FAI need to build an academy system (which they do!)
Our U17s also beat Mexico and there are some good players there, again in the system that is not fit for purpose...

We are playing progressive football but I saw a stat that we swung 30 crosses into the box in the second half alone that last day...a big Shane Duffy header salvages a point.

We did very well v Portugal and then he changes the formation and brings in McClean and drops McGrath. He sticks with three at the back and drops Omobamidele...

I am north anti-Kenny and I do think we are a bad team at the moment but he can't be absolved for some strange calls. If we stuck with 5-3-2 with wing backs and had Hourihane in with McGrath and Cullen we would got more control.

And it doesn't have to be an extreme of going from a progressive manager to Pulis or Big Sam but like surely questions are allowed to be asked. It's either knives out or defend the manager no matter what these days.

If we don't get some performances before the end of the campaign how can he go on?

I think you can certainly question his tactics and selection. The problem i see here is people who clearly know nothing about soccer other than sitting on their holes roaring at Man Utd or Liverpool on tv every week, coming on and somehow expecting Ireland to be going to Portugal and winning and when they dont its the managers fault.

lurganblue

Quote from: Hound on September 06, 2021, 12:07:45 PM
I thought McGrath was ill or something?

Hourihane is not up to it. Not sure if Molumby is but I'd be in favour of giving him gametime. Sub is enough for Hourihane.

Robinson also wasnt fit to start after his covid and isolation.

I agree, Hourihane probably isnt at the level to start but something needs done with set pieces in his absence.  The delivery much improved after his introduction.

Cavan19

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 05, 2021, 09:07:10 AM
I think Kelleher is the best goalie we have at the moment.

How have you come to that conclusion?

Captain Scarlet

Quote from: Itchy on September 06, 2021, 01:22:39 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 06, 2021, 11:29:02 AM

I think you can certainly question his tactics and selection. The problem i see here is people who clearly know nothing about soccer other than sitting on their holes roaring at Man Utd or Liverpool on tv every week, coming on and somehow expecting Ireland to be going to Portugal and winning and when they dont its the managers fault.

I was positive overall when he came in and I know it has not been an easy year, but he has switched from his 4-3-3 with the 21s which we were told was his go-to and since then there have been a good few swaps.
V Portugal it looked good but then

Next day, if he is being given a free hit he should start Omobamidele, McGrath and have Manning in there too. Doherty RWB, Manning LWB and get one more creative player out there if he can.
Hourihane is decent championship level and that is better than a lot of what we have.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

J70

Quote from: An Watcher on September 03, 2021, 10:18:26 PM
Slightly off topic but finn harps absolutely flying again.  Great stuff.  St pats the other week rovers the night

Great to see. Harps exist hand-to-mouth most of the time, never mind during pandemics. They're managing to just about hang in there in the premier division the last couple of seasons. This run should hopefully help them make again this year. New stadium hopefully too in the next couple of seasons.

Two big wins against Derry City this season as well. 8)

general

Is the bars open at the Aviva for the soccer? Group of us going tomorrow night

Cobra

Quote from: general on September 06, 2021, 03:46:12 PM

You'd want a hit of heroin never mind a pint to suffer that football at the minute...

general

Ah sure things can always get worse. good times and bad

Capt Pat

Quote from: Cavan19 on September 06, 2021, 01:55:15 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on September 05, 2021, 09:07:10 AM
I think Kelleher is the best goalie we have at the moment.

How have you come to that conclusion?

From watching Kelleher play for Liverpool a few times. Bazunu is good at the old penaties but overall I think Kelleher is ahead at this point in time.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: general on September 06, 2021, 03:46:12 PM

I don't think so