FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 12, 2015, 11:19:30 AM
How much football has he played in the last 2 years ? He would be in the side if he was fit, which he isn't
I'm not sure what the last two years has to do with his fitness.

I suggested him in the case of Hoolahan not being available. He's appeared for Everton over the last few weeks which means he has played more recently than Randolph, Coleman and Long.

The point is that MON is very little different than Trap. He's always been like this. He prefers workers to playmakers. What Hoolahan proved on Thursday is that these qualities aren't mutually exclusive.

muppet

Watching Glen Whelan really frustrates me. Simple 10 yards passes, to a man with no one near him, can somehow become 50/50 balls. For all his tackling ability, he must put the jitters up everyone else in his midfield and you would end up telling him to just hoof it. Robbie Brady seemed to catch this disease last night and James McCarthy is a different player beside him, and not in a good way.

Roy Keane, even now, would be a better option. F*ck it surely Giles even now would be a better passer.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Robbie Brady had a nightmare last night. A bit better delivery from dead balls, or from open play, and that Polish defence would have been all over the gaff. Opportunity missed I think.

Maroon Manc

A bit of realisation is required, there's very little between Ireland & Poland and if Lewandowski played for Ireland we'd have qualified over Poland with a few points to spare.

It was a tough group, probably the toughest group with a resurgent Scotland team finishing below us.

There was only about 70 hours rest between the 2 games and after beating the world champions going to Poland to get a result was always going to be extremely difficult.

Long term their is huge worry though, its been a long time since we produced a world class player and we're relying on 2nd and 3rd generation Irish to add quality to the team.

As for Wes Hoolahan, I don't recall anyone trying to buy him when Norwich when he was relegated a few years ago. He's a decent player who has been unbelievably overrated by Dunphy.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 12, 2015, 11:24:42 AM
How much football has he played in the last 2 years ? He would be in the side if he was fit, which he isn't

I suggested him in the case of Hoolahan not being available. He's appeared for Everton over the last few weeks which means he has played more recently than Randolph, Coleman and Long.

The point is that MON is very little different than Trap. He's always been like this. He prefers workers to playmakers. What Hoolahan proved on Thursday is that these qualities aren't mutually exclusive.

Randolph ,  Long havenn't been dogged by injuries have they?. Gibson needs to get back playing regular playing club before being the savior in a vital game against Poland

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDIQFjADahUKEwib4reX5rzIAhVEHT4KHVlvCDk&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishexaminer.com%2Fsport%2Fsoccer%2Fmartin-oneill-darron-gibson-injury-saga-worrying-351550.html&usg=AFQjCNHt0tdo7N1UVPPqVInsDzRDGbH0Ew&bvm=bv.104819420,d.d24

imtommygunn

I would agree with a lot of what you say. MON and Trap are two peas in a pod. They have both done well with what they've got but it pained me greatly to see our approach for scotland and not just scotland but poland last night too. Glen Whelan was not the man for the job. That being said I still think he has done well but when you need that something extra he just seems very conventional which can be frustrating.

Hoolohan is not the be all and end all granted but he was very very good against Germany so hard to see why he was dropped.

Coleman has been injured a lot over the past year or so.

rodney trotter

Coleman is one the righy backs in the Premier League, of course he was going to be starting in a important game against Poland.

Maroon Manc

Looks like we won't be seeded for the draw, would love to know why Scotland are ranked 14 places above us. Austria are in 11th, their record in qualifying is worse than ours the last 15 years. Hungary who haven't qualified for a tournament since 1986 are 20 places above us, the rankings are a disgrace.

AZOffaly

In the UEFA coefficient we're not going to be ranked? I thought a few weeks ago on here it looked like we would be, and surely beating Germany and losing in Poland narrowly wouldn't have hurt that much?

Esmarelda

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 12, 2015, 12:15:35 PM

Randolph ,  Long havenn't been dogged by injuries have they?. Gibson needs to get back playing regular playing club before being the savior in a vital game against Poland

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDIQFjADahUKEwib4reX5rzIAhVEHT4KHVlvCDk&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishexaminer.com%2Fsport%2Fsoccer%2Fmartin-oneill-darron-gibson-injury-saga-worrying-351550.html&usg=AFQjCNHt0tdo7N1UVPPqVInsDzRDGbH0Ew&bvm=bv.104819420,d.d24
No but again, I'm not sure how relevant that is. Gibson's injuries over the past six months were a broken toe and a stomach problem. He's come back and played some football. What have his historical injuries got to do with him starting one game for Ireland? He's in the squad and he didn't play a minute against Germany so why include him if you think he can't play?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 12, 2015, 01:06:03 PM
In the UEFA coefficient we're not going to be ranked? I thought a few weeks ago on here it looked like we would be, and surely beating Germany and losing in Poland narrowly wouldn't have hurt that much?

There's not too many of the teams below us in the rankings; Bosnia/Israel, Denmark, Ukraine/Slovakia, Turkey/Netherlands, Croatia/Norway, Hungary, Slovenia (need a point away to San Marino to finish 3rd) Sweden/Russia are ranked above us so we'll be ranked the lowest of the 8 teams. I'm really not sure who calculated we would be seeded.

It looks like the Dutch won't qualify and Russia will qualify automatically and hopefully Croatia will too given Norway are playing away to Italy so there's nothing really to worry about.

Not sure when the new rankings are out but I'd like to think beating Germany would move us up.

AZOffaly

Can't remember who said it, but to be clear, you're talking about the UEFA Coefficients, not the FIFA rankings, right?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 12, 2015, 01:19:26 PM
Can't remember who said it, but to be clear, you're talking about the UEFA Coefficients, not the FIFA rankings, right?

I didn't realise, just googled it.

Here's the link http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/25/84/05/2258405_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Maroon Manc

Based on that we would be seeded as long as Croatia finish above Norway and Hungary or Slovakia/Ukraine get the best placed 3rd finish?

edit-forget this as those are old rankings and can't find new ones.