FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Yip a man who walked out on his country 11yrs ago during the world cup is the ideal man to manage the same country, f**k that, i rather support northern ireland than lower myself to take back a man who egos and clashes with the then manager got in the way of the team. if he played against Spain we may have won that day.
Roy forgot there is no I in team
Some people have short memories!

CitySlicker11

When we played England in may was there not an agreement in place for a return friendly?

rodney trotter

Yeah, they are due a return game at the Aviva in November 2014

qubdub

Quote from: laoislad on September 12, 2013, 06:08:33 PM
Quote from: qubdub on September 12, 2013, 05:54:50 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 12, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
Quote from: mouview on September 12, 2013, 02:49:18 PM
Roy Keane should be given the job, no question. He'll f*ck things upside down so completely that the entire FAI head honchos will have no choice but to walk along with himself. Then whatever comes afterwards will seem like progress, hopefully by which time a few middling decent players might be coming through.

Yes... let's get a man with a terrible managerial CV and a history of falling out with people to come and take a country which he left just before the World Cup to replace a manager who had previously fallen out with a lot of the players.

He shouldn't be let near it! Actually he should be tried for treason!!!
Terrible CV? He has managed a grand total of two clubs! As for a history of falling out with people, he'd be a manager, not a team mate. How many managers do you think try to be mates with their players!

He would make a good candidate in my view (not that I think he will go for it/be wanted by the FAI).

As for the treason comment, you may apply that to every dipstick that decided they didn't want to play in friendlies/meaningless qualifiers due to 'injury' or 'tiredness'!

Aye because walking out on your country at a World Cup is the same as a player not going to a friendly against China or Georgia etc  ::)
Leaving the team because the set up is and has constantly been a complete joke; or not showing up for a game to represent your country because you can't be f*cking bothered to fly back to Dublin to take part (but gladly show up if there's a tournament to qualify for). I wouldn't say there's a lot in it.

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 12, 2013, 07:04:16 PM
Yip a man who walked out on his country 11yrs ago during the world cup is the ideal man to manage the same country, f**k that, i rather support northern ireland than lower myself to take back a man who egos and clashes with the then manager got in the way of the team. if he played against Spain we may have won that day.
Roy forgot there is no I in team
Some people have short memories!
Yeah short memories alright, Keane was a mainstay in the Ireland set up, captaining the team for most of his career - so he can't have been that bad if he was captain all that time!?! Absolutely world-class player that was instrumental for Ireland in qualifying for two major competitions. Keane left for footballing reasons - to suggest otherwise is to ignore the facts.

rodney trotter

Regardless of what happened with Keane, he hasn't enough experience at Club level. Total disaster at Ispwich and by the end of it the Ipswich players were delighted he was gone. If he had 10 years behind him he would be worth talking about.
It would almost be as big a risk as Stan "i'm the gaffer" Staunton.

laoislad

Quote from: qubdub on September 12, 2013, 07:24:21 PM
Roy Keane should be given the job, no question. He'll f*ck things upside down so completely that the entire FAI head honchos will have no choice but to walk along with himself. Then whatever comes afterwards will seem like progress, hopefully by which time a few middling decent players might be coming through.

Yes... let's get a man with a terrible managerial CV and a history of falling out with people to come and take a country which he left just before the World Cup to replace a manager who had previously fallen out with a lot of the players.

Terrible CV? He has managed a grand total of two clubs! As for a history of falling out with people, he'd be a manager, not a team mate. How many managers do you think try to be mates with their players!

He would make a good candidate in my view (not that I think he will go for it/be wanted by the FAI).

As for the treason comment, you may apply that to every dipstick that decided they didn't want to play in friendlies/meaningless qualifiers due to 'injury' or 'tiredness'!

Aye because walking out on your country at a World Cup is the same as a player not going to a friendly against China or Georgia etc  ::)
Leaving the team because the set up is and has constantly been a complete joke; or not showing up for a game to represent your country because you can't be f*cking bothered to fly back to Dublin to take part (but gladly show up if there's a tournament to qualify for). I wouldn't say there's a lot in it.

Well I would say there is a huge difference,maybe your blind loyalty to King Keano won't let you see that.

Sure wasn't it the great Roy himself who slagged off Shay Given and Robbie Keane for turning up at every friendly game?
Looking for a pat on the back he said is all they were doing.
It's a pity he didn't have the same honour and pride in representing his country as Given and Robbie.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Wildweasel74

End of the day he walked out on his country and team mates at the time, no matter his gripe he could have waited to the end of the world cup was over to put across his views, not throwing the toys out of the pram and going home in a huff. *

trileacman

I long for those days of terrible management and poor preparation that was such an affront to the delicate Roy. Watching us turn up at major tournaments was real treat.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

muppet

Quote from: trileacman on September 12, 2013, 08:54:59 PM
I long for those days of terrible management and poor preparation that was such an affront to the delicate Roy. Watching us turn up at major tournaments was real treat.

Did you like Dustin the Turkey at the Eurovision?
MWWSI 2017

qubdub

Quote from: laoislad on September 12, 2013, 07:50:24 PM

Well I would say there is a huge difference,maybe your blind loyalty to King Keano won't let you see that.

Sure wasn't it the great Roy himself who slagged off Shay Given and Robbie Keane for turning up at every friendly game?
It's a pity he didn't have the same honour and pride in representing his country as Given and Robbie.
I don't have a blind loyalty to Keane, a lot of the time he can be a dick, I just don't let my little club loyalties get in the way of judging the man for what he was as a player and what those attributes could bring as an international manager. As a player he demanded the best, played with the best and enjoyed huge success with Man Utd (maybe that's why ya hate him?); attributes I have no doubt he'd bring to the Ireland team. (He might even put manners on a few of the wigs).
May 2002 was hardly his finest hour but without him Ireland would probably not have been in the position to qualify. Him walking out was certainly vindicated when the FAI launched a report into the shortcomings within the setup.

And it's funny you mention Shay Given; he just came out tonight and backed Roy as a candidate for the job.

trileacman

Quote from: muppet on September 12, 2013, 09:12:32 PM

My point is that the "unnacceptable" management must have be been good enough at the same time. God knows what the fcuk Roy would do now that could return us to those dizzy heights.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on September 12, 2013, 09:12:32 PM

I thought it was mad craic altogether. We should send him again.

Vis-á-vis, Mick Mc is the man for the job.

thewobbler

The Keane thing is odd.

10 years later should be enough for even the most dyed in the wool United fan to look at his actions objectively. But apparently not.

If he pulled down his trousers and shat in their gardens, they'd thank him for the fertiliser.

ballinaman

Quote from: thewobbler on September 12, 2013, 09:43:10 PM
The Keane thing is odd.

10 years later should be enough for even the most dyed in the wool United fan to look at his actions objectively. But apparently not.

If he pulled down his trousers and shat in their gardens, they'd thank him for the fertiliser.
There's a market there....asking for a friend.

laoislad

Quote from: qubdub on September 12, 2013, 09:25:27 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 12, 2013, 07:50:24 PM

I don't have a blind loyalty to Keane, a lot of the time he can be a dick, I just don't let my little club loyalties get in the way of judging the man for what he was as a player and what those attributes could bring as an international manager. As a player he demanded the best, played with the best and enjoyed huge success with Man Utd (maybe that's why ya hate him?); attributes I have no doubt he'd bring to the Ireland team. (He might even put manners on a few of the wigs).
May 2002 was hardly his finest hour but without him Ireland would probably not have been in the position to qualify. Him walking out was certainly vindicated when the FAI launched a report into the shortcomings within the setup.

And it's funny you mention Shay Given; he just came out tonight and backed Roy as a candidate for the job.

Yeah that's it that's why I dislike him because he played for Manchester United. ::) Spare me the bullshit please.
There is no one could doubt his excellence as a footballer.I certainly never have and every on here knows my opinion on Roy Keane but I have never questioned how good a footballer he was.

btw I haven't mentioned anything about Roy Keane becoming Republic of Ireland manager,so I don't care if Shay Given backed him or not.

I took objection to you saying a player missing a friendly was the same as Roy Keane walking out on his country at the biggest football or even sporting tournament there is.

Also he wasn't vindicated in walking out on his country,he was vindicated in what he had to say and he was 100% right in that regard but he shouldn't have walked.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.