FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Main Street on November 14, 2011, 02:13:05 PM
Quote from: Canalman on November 14, 2011, 11:03:35 AM
no way were we 4 goals the better team and imo the penalty was very soft.
Imo it was an absolute stonewall penalty. The Estonian player was not near the ball and barged over Hunt, forcing him down.That's a penalty, a clear penalty.

You might want to look at it again. There was hardly any, if any contact. Thought at first glance myself it was a stonewaller but looking at replays it was very soft. Still, we deserve a bit of luck for some of the playoff misery over the years.

ross4life

Quote from: ONeill on November 14, 2011, 04:43:30 PM
If you were manager of Estonia, how would you approach this tomorrow?

Relatively restrained and composed, trying to forge a 2-0 lead perhaps at HT?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Main Street

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 14, 2011, 04:48:03 PM
Imo it was an absolute stonewall penalty. The Estonian player was not near the ball and barged over Hunt, forcing him down.That's a penalty, a clear penalty.

You might want to look at it again. There was hardly any, if any contact. Thought at first glance myself it was a stonewaller but looking at replays it was very soft. Still, we deserve a bit of luck for some of the playoff misery over the years.
I have looked at it again and everything points to a stone wall penalty, including the estonian player who fouled  Hunt.  And Estonian pundits agree along with experienced referees who observed it.
There is no element of luck involved in a correct decision being made by the ref. And there is no element of luck when an experienced side deservedly gets into the seeded side of the draw, gets paired with a side who are inexperienced at this level and who make awful nervy ill disciplined decisions under pressure.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 14, 2011, 04:48:03 PM

Im with canalman and his overall view of the game, it was a soft peno imo. I thought ref favoured us throughout but as seanie we deserved a bit of luck, as crazy as this may seem id rather qualify for poland ukraine than SA so i feel its worked out better, although ideally qualify for both. Isnt it ironic that Frances equaliser against Bosnia made us seeded for this play off draw!!!
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Main Street

I am not a subscriber to conspiracy theories or the irrational 'luck theory'.

That ref is one of the best at this level. Every one of the big decisions he made has passed the highest scrutiny.

Jonah

muppet

Would have been a nailed on peno in Netball.

Soft one in soccer.

You would be laughed out of it in Gaa.

He would never get a game again in rugby.

MWWSI 2017

SHEEDY

3 changes from the 1st leg; o'shea in for kelly, hunt for mcgeady and doyle in for walters.

one thing about trap is that he is v loyal to the players who have served him so well. thought walters might have done enough to retain his place. but at least the strikers now know if theyre not doing the business there is someone ready to take their place. there hasnt always been the same competition for places and that can only be a good thing.

everybody ready for a party tomorrow night? altogether now "ole ole ole ole ole ole"  :)
nil satis nisi optimum

Main Street

I would be disappointed if Walters was to move in ahead of Long or Doyle as the default striker.
Walters played his role very well against Estonia, but it's not as if we have to play long ball all the time.
Doyle is also very good in the air but has a wider range of football skills than Walters.

Denn Forever

Quoteeverybody ready for a party tomorrow night? altogether now "ole ole ole ole ole ole"   

Is there not another Ole i8n the chorus?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 14, 2011, 11:10:17 PM
Quoteeverybody ready for a party tomorrow night? altogether now "ole ole ole ole ole ole"   

Is there not another Ole i8n the chorus?

Ól é.
MWWSI 2017

Capt Pat

Quote from: muppet on November 14, 2011, 06:47:57 PM
Would have been a nailed on peno in Netball.

Soft one in soccer.

You would be laughed out of it in Gaa.

He would never get a game again in rugby.

The only thing soft about the peno was the defending that gave it away. He jumped right into Hunts path trying to make it look like he was just standing his ground. Very amateurish.

Main Street

A soft (but legal) penalty is where the attacking player accepts the gift of the outstretched leg from the defender and decides to fall over it.

Possibly the hand ball (2nd yellow) was softish, seeing as the Estonian might have been pushed into it.
But by that stage of the game, you could almost believe the Estonian defender capable of the blatant deliberate hand ball in view of the linesman, such was their level of discipline.

From the Bunker

The price didn't fluctuate even after the comparatively low points, qualification wasn't the outside shot it may have felt like. Here's how Ireland's qualifying campaign went according to the betting on Paddy Power.

ONeill

Would like to see an early goal for Estonia. Just for the craic.

And Michael Dee looks a bit blue in thon coul.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.