Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFS

Quote from: Clown on November 10, 2011, 05:10:18 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 10, 2011, 03:51:49 PM
Quote from: Clown on November 10, 2011, 02:42:51 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on November 10, 2011, 12:13:04 PM
Quote from: Clown on November 10, 2011, 09:59:59 AM
Anthony Pilkington is playing better stuff for Norwich in my opinion - former irish u-21 international

Did I hear of him being mooted for the England Team on Football Focus?

Yeah, heard a rumour he was considering switching to play for England as he thought he'd a chance of a call up
Trap should have capped him by now for us

Pilkington scored 19 goals in 92 appearances for League One Huddersfield Town between 2009 and 2011. Hardly a glaring ommission from an international squad.

he's a midfielder so pointing to his goal record you just got from wikipedia doesn't say much, he's been very good so far this season and taken to the Premiership easily, u not watched him much i take it?

Im pretty sure he'd be a better option than Gibson, Keith Tracey Andy Keogh or the likes

Norwich have had three televised games this year, only two of which Pilkington has featured in. How much have you actually watched him?

This smells like the McCarthy stuff. Arguments built on someone looking half decent against Swansea in five minutes of Match of the Day highlights.

Denn Forever

Trapattoni reveals ten of his starting team
Thursday, 10 November 2011 17:02
Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has named ten of his starting team for the Euro 2012 play-off first leg game against Estonia tomorrow night.

Watch Estonia v Republic of Ireland live on RTÉ Two and RTÉ.ie (RoI only) on Friday from 7pm and follow our matchtracker on RTÉ.ie from noon.

Shay Given is in goal, the back four is comprised of Stephen Kelly, Richard Dunne, Sean St Ledger and Stephen Ward.

Damien Duff and Aiden McGeady will play on the wings. Glen Whelan and Keith Andrews form the central midfield pairing.

Team captain Robbie Keane will be partnered up front by either Jon Walters or Simon Cox.

Trapattoni will reveal tomorrow which striker gets the nod to start.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 10, 2011, 03:49:29 PM
Hoolahan would never fit into Trap's "system". Much like Andy Reid. He is an attacking central midfielder. Trap always plays his two strikers, two wingers/wide men and two holding central midfielders. Hoolahan doesn't fit into any of those so in Trap's eyes he's about as useful as tits on a bull.

Trap obviously knows the game better than probably anyone in Ireland. He has decided that he will play a team with the likes of Duff & McGeady hugging the touchline. That means 442 and that is the only language most of our players speak. Trap has got the results so it is hard to argue with him.

But dear God Whelan & Andrews lack even the most basic passing ability. It is very hard to watch them. Surely it would be easier to try to teach a footballer to defend, particularly for a man of Traps' stature, than to have purely defensive players who are deficient in other areas, especially in such key positions?
MWWSI 2017

Jonah

Quote from: muppet on November 10, 2011, 06:17:29 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 10, 2011, 03:49:29 PM
Hoolahan would never fit into Trap's "system". Much like Andy Reid. He is an attacking central midfielder. Trap always plays his two strikers, two wingers/wide men and two holding central midfielders. Hoolahan doesn't fit into any of those so in Trap's eyes he's about as useful as tits on a bull.

Trap obviously knows the game better than probably anyone in Ireland. He has decided that he will play a team with the likes of Duff & McGeady hugging the touchline. That means 442 and that is the only language most of our players speak. Trap has got the results so it is hard to argue with him.

But dear God Whelan & Andrews lack even the most basic passing ability. It is very hard to watch them. Surely it would be easier to try to teach a footballer to defend, particularly for a man of Traps' stature, than to have purely defensive players who are deficient in other areas, especially in such key positions?

Whelan and Andrews are awful alright. I would think Keith Fahy is a better option to replace one of them.

BennyCake

How on earth does McGeady continue to get his place? It baffles me.

AFS

Quote from: BennyCake on November 10, 2011, 07:44:27 PM
Probably by having a superior blend of ability and experience than all other wide options, Duff excepted. It's not as if we have any Ronaldos or Riberys sitting on the line.

tyssam5

John Delaney on 400k makes me almost want them to lose.

BennyCake

Quote from: AFS on November 10, 2011, 08:07:26 PM
Probably by having a superior blend of ability and experience than all other wide options, Duff excepted. It's not as if we have any Ronaldos or Riberys sitting on the line.

No, but there's Stephen Hunt. He makes things happen, and has a fantastic workrate.

AFS

Quote from: BennyCake on November 10, 2011, 09:30:30 PM
Quote from: AFS on November 10, 2011, 08:07:26 PM

No, but there's Stephen Hunt. He makes things happen, and has a fantastic workrate.

McGeady has more ability and more experience than Hunt.

GalwayBayBoy

He's actually played fairly well in this qualifying campaign (bar the last game when he was poor). And even in that he still made one of the goals.

From the Bunker

Quote from: tyssam5 on November 10, 2011, 08:59:03 PM
John Delaney on 400k makes me almost want them to lose.

Yeah when we have good servants of the community like 'Joe Duffy' getting the same amount and giving a FAR SUPERIOR service!  ;)

magpie seanie

Quote from: Main Street on November 10, 2011, 03:48:26 PM
Quote from: Jonah on November 10, 2011, 11:43:44 AM

What ever people think of Trap and his tactics you can't argue with that record above he is getting the job done and and the end of the day the results is all that matters not how they play.
The results prove his tactics. He is the only one who has to prove his tactics or his argument by getting the results.
Any moron can say we can achieve better results with better football.

The best football we played was way back in the early 1980's when top teams like Holland would be man marking our midfielders to stop us from playing.

Why do you have to be so insulting?

"The results prove the tactics" - we made playoffs before and qualified when we got a handy draw (Iran). Never did I dread watching the games because we were so bloody boring to watch. I'm sorry if my opinion upsets you but that's just how I feel.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Clown on November 10, 2011, 05:10:18 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 10, 2011, 03:51:49 PM
Quote from: Clown on November 10, 2011, 02:42:51 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on November 10, 2011, 12:13:04 PM
Quote from: Clown on November 10, 2011, 09:59:59 AM
Anthony Pilkington is playing better stuff for Norwich in my opinion - former irish u-21 international

Did I hear of him being mooted for the England Team on Football Focus?

Yeah, heard a rumour he was considering switching to play for England as he thought he'd a chance of a call up
Trap should have capped him by now for us

Pilkington scored 19 goals in 92 appearances for League One Huddersfield Town between 2009 and 2011. Hardly a glaring ommission from an international squad.

he's a midfielder so pointing to his goal record you just got from wikipedia doesn't say much, he's been very good so far this season and taken to the Premiership easily, u not watched him much i take it?

Im pretty sure he'd be a better option than Gibson, Keith Tracey Andy Keogh or the likes

To be fair, I'd thought he played up front which is entirely my own mistake. But I ask you, based on your knowledge of his performances in League One, on what grounds should Trappatoni have capped him for the Ireland senior team?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Have to laugh  at the people having a go at Aidan McGeady, he's the best player we have on the wing.
Why do "you" not rate him? open question.

Hopefully we get a 2 - 0 win today, then party time in Dublin on Tuesday.
Tbc....

michaelg

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 11, 2011, 03:28:31 AM
Have to laugh  at the people having a go at Aidan McGeady, he's the best player we have on the wing.
Why do "you" not rate him? open question.

Hopefully we get a 2 - 0 win today, then party time in Dublin on Tuesday.
Is it because he is, in effect, Scottish?