Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 02, 2021, 11:55:23 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 02, 2021, 11:08:39 PM
Watched The Gift tonight. Much better than I thought it would be. Very good psychological thriller.

Knowing you I would say you are on about the Katie Holmes one and not the Edgerton one.
Joel Edgerton. Intrigued about the Katie Holmes one now...

Milltown Row2

Just watched Entebbe....

Excellent film, Harrowing times during those periods
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2021, 12:08:26 AM
Just watched Entebbe....

About the hijacking? Meant to tape it!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 03, 2021, 12:20:04 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2021, 12:08:26 AM
Just watched Entebbe....

About the hijacking? Meant to tape it!

Very good, different slant on original, bbc Iplayer No doubt
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 01, 2021, 10:28:20 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 01, 2021, 08:49:16 PM
Steve Martin was funny in The Jerk, Three Amigoes and Plane, Trains and Automobiles.

But he absolutely destroyed Inspector Clouseau. He should have been chased out of Holywood for that. Not funny in the slightest.

Always liked Roxanne.
Dirty rotten scoundrels i enjoyed as well

BennyCake

Roxanne was awful. The Jerk was even worse.

I can have Steve Martin in Planes Trains and DRS but he's annoying in most other films.

The same with Robin Williams. Can't stand any film he's in, except Mrs Doubtfire. Because you can pretend it's not really him.

Main Street

Judas and the Black Messiah  an excellent  new film about the FBI's  final solution to the Black Panther Party in Chicago. It centers on young charismatic Chairman Fred  who rose to leadership in no time and who had a knack for the fiery speech.

An aside,   I was looking at some You Tube  archives of  US Network TV  1960's interviews taken with BP leader  Huey Newton. One was even conducted in jail through prison bars where he was being held awaiting his show trial. The news interviews were remarkably neutral allowing Huey to intelligently  express his opinion about the burning issues of the day that affected African Americans, about white supremacy, institutional racism and there was none of today's moral high ground hectoring  on behalf of the interviewer,   about do you condemn all panther violence, street violence, street riots, violence against police. Those were different times when media were allowed free access to zones of conflict with no monitoring or censorship.

trileacman

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

RedHand88

Greenland.

Its on prime video. Great film. Think Deep Impact but with Ger Butler and the wife from Homeland. Very watchable show.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 17, 2021, 08:18:24 PM
Greenland.

Its on prime video. Great film. Think Deep Impact but with Ger Butler and the wife from Homeland. Very watchable show.
Yss I'd agree with that. He makes a lot of pish but I enjoyed it.

SHEEDY

The nightingale. Great movie, very tough watch in places though, definitely wouldn't be for everyone.
nil satis nisi optimum

bennydorano

Just watched Arkansas on Netflix, what a class movie. Wondering why i've never heard a peep about it before, very very good.  An indie, Coen brothers type movie.

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on February 20, 2021, 09:54:09 PM
Just watched Arkansas on Netflix, what a class movie. Wondering why i've never heard a peep about it before, very very good.  An indie, Coen brothers type movie.

Never heard of it but looks good from the trailer I just watched. I must stick it on the list.

nrico2006

Quote from: JimStynes on February 20, 2021, 10:14:53 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 20, 2021, 09:54:09 PM

Never heard of it but looks good from the trailer I just watched. I must stick it on the list.

Vince Vaughan has been firing out some crackers the past few years. Arkansas is very good while Brawl in Cell Block 99 and Dragged Across Concrete were even better.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

themac_23

Got about 30 mins through Tom Hardy in Capone last night, literally the worst thing ive watched in my life, im actually proud that I made it as far as I did, brutal