Cricket

Started by Jack Dempsey, November 23, 2006, 06:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Dempsey

I heard on Newstalk last night that before the GAA was formed that cricket was the most popular sport in ireland back in the 1880's. Is this true, what a shocker !

Gnevin

Yes its true and in many clubs  in Munster where originally Rugby teams who changed codes
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ONeill

I believe that's where the term "All-Ireland" was coined from....from the "All-England" set-up.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

charlie linkbox

I don't get your post NKAB. It has me stumped.

dodo

Ahh now lads, ye have me knocked for six.

never kickt a ball

For god's sake is there no boundaries in this discussion?

charlie linkbox

I know. The standard of this thread is a dis-crease.

never kickt a ball

I agree! It needs that something extra.

charlie linkbox

Yeah, we need someone to spin a good yarn to liven it up!

ONeill

Sorry for the break in the pun-fun, but this was a topic I researched a while ago, having read an article in Ireland's Own! Believe it or not, in 1882, Michael Cusack thought that the best game suited to the Irish was cricket. In a column he wrote at the time, he said that cricket was an Irish game and encouraged young men to take it up and purchase Irish made stumps etc. I was serious about the All-Ireland reference above, and even our GAA inter-county structure took its lead from the English All-England Club. By the 1880s the rural cricket structure was a rival to that which existed in England. A boyo who researched the origins of Cricket found the earliest reference to the game came in Irish literature when Cuchulainn 'defended the hole'. He came to the conclusion that thte game of Cricket was invented in Ireland.

ONeill

Quote from: ONeill on November 23, 2006, 09:58:31 PM
Sorry for the break in the pun-fun, but this was a topic I researched a while ago, having read an article in Ireland's Own! Believe it or not, in 1882, Michael Cusack thought that the best game suited to the Irish was cricket. In a column he wrote at the time, he said that cricket was an Irish game and encouraged young men to take it up and purchase Irish made stumps etc. I was serious about the All-Ireland reference above, and even our GAA inter-county structure took its lead from the English All-England Club. By the 1880s the rural cricket structure was a rival to that which existed in England. A boyo who researched the origins of Cricket found the earliest reference to the game came in Irish literature when Cuchulainn 'defended the hole'. He came to the conclusion that the game of Cricket was invented in Ireland.

charlie linkbox

So is that the pun-fun............ over?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

charlie linkbox

Ziggysego, I think the phrase in cricket is "follow on" (if that's what you meant).

No matter, I'll give you 20/20 for effort.