Frank Stockwell RIP

Started by Duine Eile, March 09, 2009, 06:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Eile

Galway's Frank Stockwell passed away this evening after a long illness. RIP Frankie, sad to think both of the Terrible Twins are gone now.

magickingdom

very sad to hear that, my dad often talked about him. RIP

thejuice

RIP Frank, a hero of my Dads.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

corn02

Yip, the older generation would have seen him as a hero. RIP.

GalwayBayBoy

RIP Frank. That's both the twins gone now.

ONeill

Read many stories of the great Stockwell. Did he play in the '56 campaign?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

GaillimhIarthair

RIP Frankie.  One of the true legends of Galway football.  The twins are united again.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: ONeill on March 09, 2009, 08:04:50 PM
Read many stories of the great Stockwell. Did he play in the '56 campaign?
He was man of the match in the '56 final O'Neill.  Scored 2-05 from play which remains a record in a 60 minute final.  Galway beat Tyrone in the semi that year on an 0-08 to 0-06 scoreline.

RedandGreenSniper

Sorry to hear this. I knew of him through second hand tales rather than having witnessed him playing or indeed having ever met him but he was very well regarded and that tally of 2-5 in an All-Ireland final was some feat. His son, Francis, has been involved in coaching Jarlath's for years. Elder Mayo people would talk about how amazing Stockwell and the late Sean Purcell were on the field together. Both born on the same street in Tuam within days of each other if I recall correctly. Both men gone to their eternal reward. Rest in peace.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mouview

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam. One of those legendary players instantly recognisable by the mention of their surname alone. His 2-05 in the '56 final was bettered only by Jimmy Keaveney's 2-06 in '77 (?) and some of these were frees. Nice to know that his status was upheld by the naming of a road after him (and Purcell) while both were alive.

Rossfan

Go ndéanadh Dia trócaire air.
Another legend of the GAA gone to a better place.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Son_of_Sam

Sad to see another GAA legend pass away.

I may be wrong, but did Frank play for or manage Louth at one stage!

mouview

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on March 09, 2009, 09:04:57 PM

Yes, I think he did, or at least play club football there. Definitely a connection anyway.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on March 09, 2009, 09:04:57 PM

Yes, he played for Louth while he was living up there in the early '50's and also played railway cup for Leinster.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility