Frank Stockwell RIP

Started by Duine Eile, March 09, 2009, 06:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Ah that s sad to hear. Not only a great but also a gentleman. Never met the man but father in law held him in highest regard.

Declan

Sad to hear that - My father always spoke very highly of him

INDIANA

orangeman

I was talking to my father last night who said that he was one of the greats - him and Purcell formed a deadly partnership.

RIP

AZOffaly

RIP Frank. Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.

FL/MAYO

When I was a young fellow growing up in Claremorris he came to paint our house, I just sat there in awe watching him, one of the famous Terrible Twins in our house...even if he was a Galway man ;).
He was a very nice man if I recall may he Rest in Peace.

Lar Naparka

I never saw him play but I was left in no doubt that all Mayo folks breathed a sigh of relief when he hung up the boots!
RIP
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

dodo

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dilís.

muppet

Quote from: mouview on March 09, 2009, 08:35:32 PM
Ar dheis De go raibh a anam. One of those legendary players instantly recognisable by the mention of their surname alone. His 2-05 in the '56 final was bettered only by Jimmy Keaveney's 2-06 in '77 (?) and some of these were frees. Nice to know that his status was upheld by the naming of a road after him (and Purcell) while both were alive.

I think Mikey Sheehy also shares this record while Canavan obviously has the most scores, 0-11.

I went to school in Galway and heard about the terrible twins there.

RIP to a true Gaa great.
MWWSI 2017

rocco

the big difference here is that all of frankie stockwell scores(2.05) in the 1956 all ire final were from play ( in a 60 min final ), the scores by the other players named here were a comination of play & frees.