Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Thought Kilcoo have looked very experienced and measured this year. They have real quality both on the field and on the bench, and appear to have further varied their game plan. To be fair MDG , I would take the relative lack of praise on here as a complement- people either don't get excited such is your dominance , or are jealous.  I think Those interested in the long term success of Down football , should look and learn from Kilcoo's template. Recent senior success is merely a manifestation of many years of hard work across all levels . There is a single mindedness and attention to detail , which few other clubs match. I wish them well in Ulster.
Well done also to Glassdrumman , they looked a tidy team yesterday with Connaire Harrison outstanding as usual. They're well capable of a strong ulster campaign. Ardglass had several outstanding performances notably Veteran Eamon McEvoy and Stephen Rooney. They seem a fairly youthful side, and no doubt they'll be back.
Finally re Loughinisland , I think it was unfair on them to be pressed in to a league decider in the midst of their Ulster preparations. I think with the revamping of the leagues for 2016 , CCCC should try to avoid a repeat of this scenario. I would argue that a league reflects a team's  overall standing over the course of a season and promotion should reflect a team's ability to be competitive in the division above for the full league campaign of the following year. The conversion of 16 team to 12 team leagues for next year resulted in an unusual playoff this year, but with leagues now being stabilised for the next 3 years hopefully the playoff v ulster scenario won't recur.

super reds 99

Quote from: wobbller on October 11, 2015, 05:50:42 PM
Quote from: super reds 99 on October 11, 2015, 02:29:30 PM
The leagues are down to start weekend after st Patrick day !
that's whot has been talked about at board level
  Where does it say when they are down to start then?

Square Ball

Anyone know the make up of Div 1 and 2? Is it 11 in both leagues.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

John Martin

Quote from: Square Ball on October 12, 2015, 06:19:06 PM
Anyone know the make up of Div 1 and 2? Is it 11 in both leagues.

It is 12 teams in division 1 and I assume division 2 is the same.

Predictor

anyone know how many go down from each division like i know 6 teams have dropped from division 1 to the new division 2 but i dont know after that

thewobbler

Interesting that some folks want to give teams a pile of breathing space at this end of the season, with the primary factor being that it used to be that way.

Speaking from my own perspective, I'm a fan of this quick fire end of season. While it might be a bit of a push for the Championship sides to get motivated for the intermingled league matches, it's downright unfair to have the non-Championship sides kicking their heels for weeks on end, with nobody willing or able to play friendlies to keep match skills sharp - especially as their opponents are getting genuinely competitive football during this time.

John Martin

Leagues for 2016

Division 1
Burren
Bryansford
Ballyholland
Kilcoo
Mayobridge
Glenn
CPN
Clonduff
Castlewellan
Saval
Longstone
Ballymartin

Division 2
RGU Downpatrick
Rostrevor
Annaclone
Liatroim
Clann na Banna
Loughinisland
Darragh Cross
Tullylish
Bredagh
An Riocht
Carryduff
St. John's

Division 3
Attical
Drumaness
Bosco
Saul
Dromara
Shamrocks
Kilclief
Drumgath
Glassdrumman
Teconnaught???

Division 4
Everyone else

whitegoodman

Quote from: thewobbler on October 12, 2015, 10:31:49 PM
Interesting that some folks want to give teams a pile of breathing space at this end of the season, with the primary factor being that it used to be that way.

Speaking from my own perspective, I'm a fan of this quick fire end of season. While it might be a bit of a push for the Championship sides to get motivated for the intermingled league matches, it's downright unfair to have the non-Championship sides kicking their heels for weeks on end, with nobody willing or able to play friendlies to keep match skills sharp - especially as their opponents are getting genuinely competitive football during this time.

Agree with this.  Fair enough some clubs may have had a break until the championship was over in previous years but that doesn't mean it was right and going forward this should be the way it should be.

It would still be better if all league games over finished by the the middle of August and you could rattle the championship series off in 6 wks there after.

whitegoodman

Well done Kilcoo btw, some of the best players in Down to go with the undoubted will to win and team spirit that was always there.  I'd say the current panel of players are the best they have had.  The Johnston brothers and a couple of the Brannigans should be shoe ins for county jerseys next year.

Predictor

Leagues for 2016
44 Teams
22-East Down (D1-3 , D2-7 , D3-5 , D4-7)
22- South Down (D1-9 ,D2-5 ,D3-5 ,D4-3)

Division 1
12 teams (3 East Down & 9 South Down)
Burren
Bryansford
Ballyholland
Kilcoo
Mayobridge
Glenn
CPN
Clonduff
Castlewellan
Saval
Longstone
Ballymartin

Division 2
12 teams (7 East Down & 5 South Down)
RGU Downpatrick
Rostrevor
Annaclone
Liatroim
Clann na Banna
Loughinisland
Darragh Cross
Tullylish
Bredagh
An Riocht
Carryduff
St. John's

Division 3
10 teams (5 East Down & 5 South Down)
Attical
Drumaness
Bosco
Saul
Dromara
Shamrocks
Kilclief
Drumgath
Glassdrumman
Teconnaught

Division 4
10 teams (7 East Down & 3 South Down)
Aughlisnafin
Dundrum
Mitchels
Ardglass
St pauls
Bright
St Michaels
Killyleagh
Ballykinlar
Aghaderg

Mourne Rover

There's no doubt that, even after the departure of McCorry, Down are going to rely heavily on Kilcoo, and WGM is right to highlight the Branagans. The two corner backs in particular were exceptional on Sunday and the new management should make every effort to recruit them to the county panel. Greenan has also developed significantly at midfield, and, at 28, is certainly not too old to be given an extended run in a sector where we have struggled in recent seasons.

There is a limit to the number of Kilcoo players who will make the Down starting line-up, but it would be a surprise if Laverty and both Johnstons were not there. Kane will face plenty of competition in goals, and O'Hanlon did not fully convince during his appearances last season. Devlin started every game in 2015 but ultimately disappointed in the championship and would need to improve noticeably if he is to retain his place. He looked short on confidence in the county final but has an opportunity to develop in the Ulster club championship.

The only other obvious candidate from Sunday was Duffin of Castlewellan, who produced a very steady display in a side which was largely outplayed. He has been in and out of Down squads over the years but would be worth considering whenever - and an appointment can surely not be delayed much longer - we get a new manager.

Hedgehunter

What new players if any would folk like to see being given a shout in the coming season with the county squad?

TheClutch

Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 13, 2015, 12:29:38 PM
There's no doubt that, even after the departure of McCorry, Down are going to rely heavily on Kilcoo, and WGM is right to highlight the Branagans. The two corner backs in particular were exceptional on Sunday and the new management should make every effort to recruit them to the county panel. Greenan has also developed significantly at midfield, and, at 28, is certainly not too old to be given an extended run in a sector where we have struggled in recent seasons.

There is a limit to the number of Kilcoo players who will make the Down starting line-up, but it would be a surprise if Laverty and both Johnstons were not there. Kane will face plenty of competition in goals, and O'Hanlon did not fully convince during his appearances last season. Devlin started every game in 2015 but ultimately disappointed in the championship and would need to improve noticeably if he is to retain his place. He looked short on confidence in the county final but has an opportunity to develop in the Ulster club championship.

The only other obvious candidate from Sunday was Duffin of Castlewellan, who produced a very steady display in a side which was largely outplayed. He has been in and out of Down squads over the years but would be worth considering whenever - and an appointment can surely not be delayed much longer - we get a new manager.

Was just wondering who else you think could be in the mix for the goalkeeper jersey? I thought Kane settled in well and had a good debut season. Cunningham from Castlewellan is a contender and I have always thought Kieran Gordan from Loughinisland was a quality goalkeeper. Would you put Kane in as your pick of three? Or any one else for that matter?

I'd like to see Shane Harrison get a go at midfield for the county, as opposed to nets as in the past he has left the panel for lack of game time I believe. Also as I said above I think we are well covered for quality in between the sticks but have struggled in the middle of the park in recent seasons. Granted he hasn't been playing the highest standard of football in Div 3 and the JFC this year but it is hard to dismiss the dominance he had in most games. A good showing in the Ulster JFC could maybe give this theory a push.
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

T O Hare

CJ Barr has massive potential as a keeper and should be in nets for the U21s next year but we hope he makes it as a midfielder!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Mourne Rover

Kane is our best shot stopper but his kick-outs did not function properly for Down last summer. While this may have not been entirely his fault, as our midfield was ordinary, it is still a crucial aspect of the modern game. Gordon will certainly put pressure on Kane, although Cunningham did not have his best day in Newry on Sunday. Shane Harrison is a fascinating case as he displayed considerable potential when he previously played in goals for Down at all levels and is arguably our best option for kick-outs. However, he has been in exceptional form at midfield for Glasdrumman all season, albeit in a lower division, and has rare ability as a ball winner. His brother, Connaire, is also a far better all round player now than when he was starting for Down a couple of seasons ago, and 2-5 from play in any county final tells its own story.