Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

washed_up

told yous that at least a year ago that Dawson was after wee J ames job -probably longer

whitegoodman

What are the alternatives if McEntee doesn't want it.  From the ones mention or seemingly available

Dawson
POR
Banty
Poacher
Linden & Deegan
Shorty

Be prepared to be underwhelmed no matter who gets it.

TheClutch

Good to see a big win for Loughinisland today. Puts them in a strong position for the rest of Ulster, hopefully they can repeat Warrenpoint's success of last year.

I agree with WGM, Dawson is possibly the best candidate of a bad bunch. What ever people think of him personally, his record in Down football is fairly strong.
Just out of interest T O'Hare who managed the Bridge during the 04-08 period of dominance?
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

OgraAnDun

Quote from: TheClutch on October 18, 2015, 09:14:41 PM

I agree with WGM, Dawson is possibly the best candidate of a bad bunch. What ever people think of him personally, his record in Down football is fairly strong.

The worst part is that, after the backlash from sacking McCorry after one year, Dawson will be with us for the next two.

T O Hare

Good to see a big win for Loughinisland today. Puts them in a strong position for the rest of Ulster, hopefully they can repeat Warrenpoint's success of last year.

Just out of interest T O'Hare who managed the Bridge during the 04-08 period of dominance?

McCorry 99 and 01
Jackie McManus 02
Mickey Linden 04-6
Mickey Donnelly 07 and 08
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

TheClutch

Quote from: T O Hare on October 19, 2015, 01:42:37 AM

McCorry 99 and 01
Jackie McManus 02
Mickey Linden 04-6
Mickey Donnelly 07 and 08

Where have McManus and Donnelly been since leaving the Bridge? What was your opinion on them; or did they have a simple task of managing a team that were leaps and bounds above the rest in the county at the time?
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

T O Hare

Not sure where Jackie is at the minute. Both were good in their own right. Jackie more old school who loved direct football while Mickey was a young manager who was very different and was a excellent young vibrant coach, one of the best I've ever had. He finished up with Tyrone minors last year and is the st Ronans Lurgan McRory cup coach. Growing up I was used to winning underage championships so we took it that winning senior championships was the norm and that to manage the Bridge was a handy number. Looking back now , we were excellently prepared by all managers who had to manage 30 odd lads to win 8 championships and just as many premier reserve championships during this time. We certainly had an extremely talented group but everyone worked so hard and the championships were not handed to us. Teams such as Burren, Byransford, Kilcoo , longstone, Rostrevor and Clonduff, were all strong in this period.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

A man from Down

Today's Irish News reporting that Paddy O'Rourke is going to take the job along with Mickey Linden and Conor Deegan.

I'd be happy if Paddy got the job. He has good experience and hasn't been a disaster anywhere - even Armagh people will tell you now in hindsight that he did a good job there.

He would steady the ship, knows Down football inside out, isn't in it for "expenses" and will have learned from past experiences. He also in his previous stint put together a squad of big physical players, something we need now. No doubt some people will argue that the county was full of big strong players back then. 

whitegoodman

Wouldnt be convinced there is a tactical mastermind in there and would also need a quality coach added to the setup.  During his last term POR generally got the right players on the field who were well motivated but when plan A wasnt working things started to go titsup !!!   A Brian McIlvor type would help that management team if it is true.

Shane Mulholland wouldnt be a bad selector but cant see that happening.....................

Lecale Gael

i just cant see Mickey Linden being involved at all. Just doesnt strike me as someone who would, just like blaney, breen, mason and the like

Deegan on other hand does strike me as someone who has the man management skills to deal with county players having done so at Ballyboden & Kilmacud.

I dont think orourke and deegan would work together though as both appear to have strong personalities

but i do think O'Rourke with a very good trainer like Tally and someone of Brian McIlver's ilk would work as James McCartan nearly won an all ireland in his first season with such a combination.

orourke if he is interested might need to go outside the county for a number 2 like mcguinness did with rory gallaher as it does prevent the perception of bias when selecting players for the squad and more importantly the starting 15 .

2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

SamFever

Quote from: Lecale Gael on October 20, 2015, 04:37:36 PM
i just cant see Mickey Linden being involved at all. Just doesnt strike me as someone who would, just like blaney, breen, mason and the like

Deegan on other hand does strike me as someone who has the man management skills to deal with county players having done so at Ballyboden & Kilmacud.

I dont think orourke and deegan would work together though as both appear to have strong personalities

but i do think O'Rourke with a very good trainer like Tally and someone of Brian McIlver's ilk would work as James McCartan nearly won an all ireland in his first season with such a combination.

orourke if he is interested might need to go outside the county for a number 2 like mcguinness did with rory gallaher as it does prevent the perception of bias when selecting players for the squad and more importantly the starting 15 .
So we're really no further on.

Hedgehunter

New manager to be announced tonite I heard.

wobbller

Quote from: Hedgehunter on October 21, 2015, 03:18:38 PM
New manager to be announced tonite I heard.
Announced to what audience?

Hedgehunter

Was told it was to keep an eye out on twitter tonite by the country PRO.. Only snippets I could get was that it's a person that hasn't been mentioned at all in the paper and that it is an in house appointment.