Lowest profile ever?

Started by T Fearon, April 16, 2017, 09:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Easter rising commemorations this year,it seems to me anyway.Why is this? Is it the inevitable consequence of the year long celebrations last year,or the drastic revisionism which accompanied last year's celebrations which have left people confused as to whether they should be celebrating or ashamed by the events of Easter 1916.

From the Bunker

Can you read over your question again? And be a bit more articulate about what you are trying to say.

Farrandeelin

There won't be any emphasis until 125th commemorations. That's how it is.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Avondhu star

Theres no confusion in the minds of the vast majority who came out in their thousands to celebrate the centenary by taking the Rising back from the murder gang who besmirched true Republicanism for the last 40 years by their sectarian campaign.
No one pays much heed to the revisionists.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

BennyCake

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 16, 2017, 10:42:13 PM
Theres no confusion in the minds of the vast majority who came out in their thousands to celebrate the centenary by taking the Rising back from the murder gang who besmirched true Republicanism for the last 40 years by their sectarian campaign.

And 1916 was just a load of handbag swinging and hair pulling, was it?

Avondhu star

Quote from: BennyCake on April 17, 2017, 10:38:31 AM

I cant seem to remember Patrick Pearse taking a mother of ten and shooting her before burying her secretly. I fairly sure James Connolly didnt take a man from his family, strap explosives to his body and force him to drive to Dublin Castle.     G.S.

seafoid

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 17, 2017, 04:30:48 PM

I cant seem to remember Patrick Pearse taking a mother of ten and shooting her before burying her secretly. I fairly sure James Connolly didnt take a man from his family, strap explosives to his body and force him to drive to Dublin Castle.     G.S.
What about West Cork?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Avondhu star

Quote from: seafoid on April 17, 2017, 04:54:06 PM

What about West Cork?
Whataboutery

seafoid

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 17, 2017, 07:17:46 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 17, 2017, 04:54:06 PM

What about West Cork?
Whataboutery
Was anybody murdered in West Cork ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

There was innocent people killed in 1916 and in the War of Independence too, not just the Troubles. People tend to look at 1916-22 through rose-tinted glasses. Connolly, Pearse etc are lauded as those who paved the way for Independence, ie. driving out the Brits from Ireland. Yet when the IRA tried to get rid of the Brits from the North, they're just terrorist/dirty/filthy scum, yet they were only trying to do the same thing

Avondhu star

red hander

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 17, 2017, 08:22:53 PM
Ya ya ya

Great argument, well put together and articulated. You bring a much-needed breath of fresh air to the board

Syferus

Quote from: BennyCake on April 17, 2017, 08:04:43 PM

There was innocent people killed in 1916 and in the War of Independence too, not just the Troubles. People tend to look at 1916-22 through rose-tinted glasses. Connolly, Pearse etc are lauded as those who paved the way for Independence, ie. driving out the Brits from Ireland. Yet when the IRA tried to get rid of the Brits from the North, they're just terrorist/dirty/filthy scum, yet they were only trying to do the same thing

Anyone who thinks the War of Independence is seen through rose-tinted glasses in the south has very little idea about the south.

Rossfan

The "south" ?
Munster and South Leinster?
I think the unofficial common or garden FF/FG view is that the 1916-21 Volunteers were all cool clean heroes while those 1970 to whatever ones are murderers/terrorists etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM