Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

Quote from: johnnycool on Today at 02:05:36 PM
Quote from: skat man on Today at 01:40:48 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on Today at 11:44:59 AM
Quote from: skat man on Today at 09:35:53 AMwhy would anyone in Down want to become a referee when they seen how our best ref was treated and after all the talk of rigorous investigation its now been brushed under the carpet and why would the county board not hush it when the clubs and current referees stand by and let that happen. 

Not sure it was brushed under the carpet as I think the outcomes were shared with the referees during a meeting at the start of the year.

One of Paul Faloons requests to have all championship referee's mic'd up and recorded is to be introduced this year I believe.

Surely with such a robust investigation being carried out by croke park on behalf of down into how the county board handled the process then all clubs would be privy to the findings of that report? I dont think such a report even exists or any investigation was carried out.
officials are micd up anyway in championship but there isnt enough to go around on big match weekends , and as for recording everything im not sure how that happens without all new gear purchased.

the very fact no one knows exactly whats gone on 7 months later is a disgrace.

i agree completely wobbler, it has to be on coaches and club to enforce

yep, that came out of the meeting and is on Down CCC to provide the correct equipment to aid and back up the referees.

In Antrim if you don't provide a designated referee you lose all home games. Is this a thing in Down?

Don't think it's a thing in Down.. I know that's the same in Fermanagh where clubs need to have at least 1 referee within the club, probably a measure that will need brought in here if the shortage is as bad as a few have mentioned

thewobbler

No Johnny. There's been various motions by clubs over the year at convention along those lines, but to the best of my knowledge, none have succeeded.

I do wonder when I see such motions. While I get the gist of what they're trying to achieve, those clubs who currently have multiple referees, do they have an active policy of encouraging and fostering referees, or are they just lucky?

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on Today at 02:18:13 PMNo Johnny. There's been various motions by clubs over the year at convention along those lines, but to the best of my knowledge, none have succeeded.

I do wonder when I see such motions. While I get the gist of what they're trying to achieve, those clubs who currently have multiple referees, do they have an active policy of encouraging and fostering referees, or are they just lucky?

I'm not sure, refereeing appeals (I'll use the word lightly) to a certain type of person or persons but probably easier if a group of people do it together as I see Dromara have 4 people starting the training together.

More power to them.

Caitlin

Quote from: skat man on Today at 09:35:53 AMwhy would anyone in Down want to become a referee when they seen how our best ref was treated and after all the talk of rigorous investigation its now been brushed under the carpet and why would the county board not hush it when the clubs and current referees stand by and let that happen. 

Not sure it was brushed under the carpet as I think the outcomes were shared with the referees during a meeting at the start of the year.

One of Paul Faloons requests to have all championship referee's mic'd up and recorded is to be introduced this year I believe.

Surely with such a robust investigation being carried out by croke park on behalf of down into how the county board handled the process then all clubs would be privy to the findings of that report? I dont think such a report even exists or any investigation was carried out.
officials are micd up anyway in championship but there isnt enough to go around on big match weekends , and as for recording everything im not sure how that happens without all new gear purchased.

The report findings were shared with our county board rep.

There are two different issues here; the report reflects a sad chapter in our county's history where there were no winners. The recommendations should be implemented and we move on.

Each club has a responsibility to develop referees and , more importantly, develop respect for referees. We can learn from the LGFA; at a game on Saturday one of our players got injured and the ref handled the situation very well, both teams gave and got respect.

terrifictommy

Our referee has quit because of the abuse apparently so how would the rule be implemented that every club has to have one. I was at an underage match in the past week and thought we had something going - A coach told a player to stop talking to the ref. Great, well done coach. Less than 30secs had gone before the coach started on the ref. It's in all ages groups, at all levels, in all counties.

skat man

Quote from: Caitlin on Today at 02:57:33 PM

The report findings were shared with our county board rep.

There are two different issues here; the report reflects a sad chapter in our county's history where there were no winners. The recommendations should be implemented and we move on.

Each club has a responsibility to develop referees and , more importantly, develop respect for referees. We can learn from the LGFA; at a game on Saturday one of our players got injured and the ref handled the situation very well, both teams gave and got respect.

what were the findings ?