Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: clonadmad on December 27, 2016, 09:07:52 PM
Quote from: SCFC on December 27, 2016, 09:04:16 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on December 27, 2016, 08:28:25 PM
Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on December 27, 2016, 07:42:49 PM
Kyle/knock was going on for a few years now, came close a few years ago apparently but they were going to hurl in laois because they reckoned they would make a bigger impact, wonder is a cross county amalgamation been done or even possible?

Carrig/Riverstown

Moneygall? A cross border club in Tipp/Offaly.

Moneygall's Grounds are in Tipperary,as is a fair amount of the parish

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 27, 2016, 09:10:27 PM
Did Carrig and Riverstown once play separately in two different counties?
If not, it is not the same thing. Moneygall certainly isnt.

AFAIK there is no way for Kyle and Knock to link up without at least one of the clubs being disbanded.

Carrig at one time played in Tipp
Riverstown played in Offaly and then with Lorrha,before going back into Offaly and amalgamating with carrig who are situated in Tipperary

Moneygall played in Offaly then amalgamated with Toome and finally split and then went out  on their own in Tipp.

So they are valid examples

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on December 27, 2016, 09:17:58 PM

AFAIK there is no way for Kyle and Knock to link up without at least one of the clubs being disbanded.

Riverstown played in Offaly and then with Lorrha,before going back into Offaly and amalgamating with carrig who are situated in Tipperary

Moneygall played in Offaly then amalgamated with Toome and finally split and then went out  on their own in Tipp.

Firstly, I asked a question.

Secondly, Moneygall moving from Tipp to Offaly and back is different to Knock or Kyle moving one way or the other. There is a much bigger crossover with the two counties in Moneygall. Is the present Moneygall club a result of two clubs(one Offaly and one Tipperary) who at some stage amalgamated and decided to play in Tipperary? No, I didn't think so.

Finally, as I said, there is no way for it to happen without at least one of the clubs disbanding  ::)
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Ballyroan Abbey

Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 27, 2016, 08:04:30 PM
Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on December 27, 2016, 04:52:34 PM
Shanahoe/ballypickas is done for gales apparently

I have a problem with this. If this is true,
Ballypickas will play on their own in JHC, with Shanahoe in SHC A, with St Fintan's in U14 & U16, with Abbeyleix in Minor & U21.
This all getting too messy for my liking.

Think they are basically going all in with fintans and cutting ties with abbeyleix, in which case there is a link as shanahoe also play with fintans, and both are on the outskirts of abbeyleix, whereas ballinakill and slieve bloom there is no link/arguement, basically being done to benefit conroy playing senior and ballinakill needing another forward to win a championship

Keyser Söze

Fair enough if they are going all in with Fintan's I suppose.
I wonder how they chose Shanahoe over Colt?!

Ballyroan Abbey

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 27, 2016, 09:33:32 PM

Secondly, Moneygall moving from Tipp to Offaly and back is different to Knock or Kyle moving one way or the other. There is a much bigger crossover with the two counties in Moneygall. Is the present Moneygall club a result of two clubs(one Offaly and one Tipperary) who at some stage amalgamated and decided to play in Tipperary? No, I didn't think so.

Finally, as I said, there is no way for it to happen without at least one of the clubs disbanding  ::)

The original question to which I answered was if a cross county amalgamation had taken place.

It has and it is possible

tcrilly

Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 27, 2016, 08:00:51 PM
Kyle/knock was going on for a few years now, came close a few years ago apparently but they were going to hurl in laois because they reckoned they would make a bigger impact, wonder is a cross county amalgamation been done or even possible?

I would say that whichever club was moving would have to disband. The other club would then have to change their name to incorporate the other club. The players would then need to get intercounty transfers from the disbanded club to the newly renamed club!

Apparently it came really close last year and i would of thought the same as yourself keyser but according to the knock secretary i spoke to he said it was fairly straight forward and the tipp county board said they could use kyle pitch for home games as knock didnt have their own field, when they won a senior in 52 there was a stricter parish rule at the time and the knock guys living in tipp had to play with kyle. As for moneygall as someone else mentioned i never realised that they played in offaly before but never researched their history, all i knew was moneygall has both offaly and tipp borders

tcrilly

The biggest impact they could hope for is being a good junior a team as kyle were never too bad but never had enough "good" hurlers, remember playing against them about 15 years ago and we were all thinking how gearoid walsh was wasting his talent there

O moore parklife

Few Annanough footballers of high enough ability looking to step up senior in a gaels format for the 2017 senior championship. Reliable source

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on December 27, 2016, 10:17:14 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 27, 2016, 09:33:32 PM

The original question to which I answered was if a cross county amalgamation had taken place.

It has and it is possible

As i said (but I'll repeat for the special cases among us!), that was a question! Nobody said it was impossible to start with. What Moneygall did is not a relevant example. Entirely different thing.

How is your juvenile realignment coming on?!

Ballyroan Abbey

Quote from: tcrilly on December 27, 2016, 10:31:55 PM

The biggest impact they could hope for is being a good junior a team as kyle were never too bad but never had enough "good" hurlers, remember playing against them about 15 years ago and we were all thinking how gearoid walsh was wasting his talent there

I wasnt thinking senior challengers, but stable inter team a ratheniska clonad type, again i know very little about knock team

tcrilly

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on December 27, 2016, 10:59:52 PM
Quote from: tcrilly on December 27, 2016, 10:31:55 PM

I wasnt thinking senior challengers, but stable inter team a ratheniska clonad type, again i know very little about knock team

Yeah i understand, in small rural parishs the main thing should be securing the hurling clubs at whatever level because its sure gettig harder to compete at their own respective levels, rosenallis have bounced back great and with a young team

HURLING1

Knock always have had a good few very serious hurlers such as John Carroll and his brother's and the Flynns.  They allow them hurl senior with Roscrea without a row in the club and  most of them return to Knock  at the end of their Senior Hurling.

tcrilly

Quote from: HURLING1 on December 28, 2016, 06:19:21 AM
Knock always have had a good few very serious hurlers such as John Carroll and his brother's and the Flynns.  They allow them hurl senior with Roscrea without a row in the club and  most of them return to Knock  at the end of their Senior Hurling.
Yeah they have a bloody huge catchment area and never stop anyone going to or from the club which is decent