Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

231 for a km. Not bad.

imtommygunn

Great national 1500 metre men's final tonight. Good to see Robinson come back after all that time out. With him, Tobin and o'lionaird coming back from retirement the 1500 is strong here.

Disappointing for mageean in the diamond league but two national records from three races isn't half bad.

imtommygunn

Mo Farah is to do the larne half marathon on Saturday week. I think the course record may be under threat lol.

Milltown Row2

Bit of a shock on the cards at the London marathon
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Great sprint finish there at the London Marathon.
Bad day for Kipchoge.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Scullion 2:09:49.

Clohissey looked to be going well too.

Auld kipchoge had a bad days.

tintin25

Anyone ever purchase runners online?  Usually head into Pure Running and get the gait analysis done and just purchase runners there, but is it really necessary?

Also, found that when I've been out recently both my feet are sore during the run...pretty sure I'm not carrying any injuries so would it down to using old runners or lack of stretching?

TabClear

Quote from: tintin25 on October 15, 2020, 01:24:06 PM
Anyone ever purchase runners online?  Usually head into Pure Running and get the gait analysis done and just purchase runners there, but is it really necessary?

Also, found that when I've been out recently both my feet are sore during the run...pretty sure I'm not carrying any injuries so would it down to using old runners or lack of stretching?

Both these could be a factor although personally if i dont stretch its more in the legs than the feet. I know the trainer manufacturers (unsurprisingly!) tell you to change runners anywhere between 300 to 500 miles. That doesn't take long if you are doing a couple of long runs every week. I tend to look at the tread on the sole to determine when they need changed, its also a decent way to check if you have a gait problem. If there is excessive wear in one spot, e.g the outside heel you could have a issue that is putting starin on the feet.

GetOverTheBar

Give them a roll over before your next run with a hurling ball or tin of beans or something. See if that helps. Sounds like a bit of tension - a few calf raises right up to balls of feet would do no harm also if it was originating from that area.

imtommygunn

Get a fitted pair in a place like that and then the likes of sports shoes.co.uk when you know what you are looking for and have been fitted. I got the same pair about 50 quid cheaper. (Same model a bit older mind you)

Yeah could be plantar. Stretch the calves a lot and that might help.

tintin25

Cheers for the responses

ballinaman

Generally buy online now, best get runners that you find comfortable and stick with those, gait analysis is all fluff trying to sell you different types of runners....change them up about 600-700 hundred miles depending on how much abuse they get , alternating between pair a extend the life out of them I've found too, older pair for grass/beach and newer for road for example...

lurganblue

Still having a right bit of calf problems.  Foam rolled the life outta them.  Stretching and even been doing the hopping.  All that is fine.  Went for a bit of a run jog combo two days ago as a bit of tester, like a couch to 5k setup.  Any distance at all jogging and I started to feel it.

I am thinking of giving the compression socks/sleeves a go to see if they help at all.  Anyone else use these? Or would that be a waste of time?

imtommygunn

My calves flare up if my glutes aren't working. I know that sounds very broad but things like knee lift etc should come from glutes / hip area and if they're not working then to get it you compensate with the calf. Make sure hip flexors are well stretched and the glutes are working right - single leg bridges and the like of clam shells work well. I know taht is broad but is my own experience on a lot of calf issues. I've been working from home since march and with a young kid tend to be more housebound so I go through cycles of calf bother but glute work has helped a lot.

(Also root cause could be not strong enough - depends on your case but the above I find helpful for me. If you're doing raises, stretching etc it could be you or if you're not doing raises / stretches you'd need to do them)

ballinaman

Quote from: lurganblue on October 29, 2020, 08:57:59 AM
Still having a right bit of calf problems.  Foam rolled the life outta them.  Stretching and even been doing the hopping.  All that is fine.  Went for a bit of a run jog combo two days ago as a bit of tester, like a couch to 5k setup.  Any distance at all jogging and I started to feel it.

I am thinking of giving the compression socks/sleeves a go to see if they help at all.  Anyone else use these? Or would that be a waste of time?

Foam rolling makes no impact and zero evidence behind it...perception changes/ placebo more than
anything...akin to rubbing your knee after you whack it on a table , different stimulus to the skin and tissue.

Two common causes of calf pain can be capacity or lack there of as Tommy discussed above ...6 times your body weight in terms of force goes through calf complex while running...capacity and ability to tolerate these forces is key....but this would present later into a run in terms of fatigue ...

If the awareness is instant and you can't recall an acute injury , can be neurally driven pain into the calf. YouTube "slump flosser exercise " and you'll find video as to do this exercise ...