Greatest Provincial Rivalry

Started by ríochtciarraí, May 07, 2008, 05:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 07, 2008, 09:04:32 PM
QuoteNo rivalry. Ulster has had the upperhand in recent years.

All of Ulster = 13 (?) AI , Kerry = 35 AI. Its obvious,  really, who is the winner.
Ulster have 15 actually Mike ;)

For me, Derry v Tyrone easily, but when you think about it, Tyrone also have Armagh, Donegal, Fermanagh....   Must say something about them  ;)

ONeill

They border a right few counties?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bogball XV

full back

Although in recent times many would think Armagh/Tyrone, I have to say the biggest rivalry/hatred would have to be Armagh/Down.
Suppose it dpends where in the county you are from

Owenmoresider

That would be the thing with Roscommon too, border all the Connacht counties and are loved dearly by each of them  ;D Tis keen with Leitrim around Carrick, Sligo at Boyle and I suppose near Ballinasloe, Ballymoe etc. with Galway. And then there is Ballagh... :o

Though naturally in the province Galway v Mayo towers above the rest, in terms of history and prominence for sure. Even enough too, as stated above. Our main rivalry may be seen as with Leitrim, annoying lot that they are. We are grouped together in many respects so it's inevitable in that way. Mayo does bring out the worst in a good lot of us however, particularly as you head west and south in the county.

Maguire01

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 07, 2008, 09:04:32 PM
QuoteNo rivalry. Ulster has had the upperhand in recent years.

All of Ulster = 13 (?) AI , Kerry = 35 AI. Its obvious,  really, who is the winner.

Yes Mike, but note that the original quote was in relatin to "recent years".
No one is questioning Kerry's record.  There can only be real rivalry when the rivals are operating at a similar level, hence the reference to Kerry/Ulster in recent years.

spectator

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 07, 2008, 10:07:26 PM
And then there is Ballagh... :o

The Western People sought Joe & Josephine Publics' opinion [Ballagh Brigade] prior to the 2004 Connacht Final clash & captured a rare outbreak of erm ... tolerance amongst the football mad townsfolk. Although some subsequently claimed t' was the fear of losing that had them tongue tied & not wanting to jinx proceedings... ;)

Divided loyalties ... a town on the borderline

THE friendly sporting rivalry between Mayo and Roscommon is most keenly felt in the border town of Ballaghadereen.
Many families, friendships and local communities are split down the middle in their sporting allegiances. Our reporter, Michael Gallagher, got the opinions of some of the locals last week. He encountered a people who love their sport and are eagerly anticipating a great encounter in Castlebar on Sunday....

http://archives.tcm.ie/westernpeople/2004/07/14/story20596.asp

gerry

tyrone v's derry for myself.

Quote from: red hander on May 07, 2008, 07:04:52 PM
the inbreds singing "there's no Sam in Tyrone"

at least there's no london in tyrone, always keep them quiet in return

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: spectator on May 07, 2008, 11:38:06 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 07, 2008, 10:07:26 PM
And then there is Ballagh... :o

The Western People sought Joe & Josephine Publics' opinion [Ballagh Brigade] prior to the 2004 Connacht Final clash & captured a rare outbreak of erm ... tolerance amongst the football mad townsfolk. Although some subsequently claimed t' was the fear of losing that had them tongue tied & not wanting to jinx proceedings... ;)

Divided loyalties ... a town on the borderline

THE friendly sporting rivalry between Mayo and Roscommon is most keenly felt in the border town of Ballaghadereen.
Many families, friendships and local communities are split down the middle in their sporting allegiances. Our reporter, Michael Gallagher, got the opinions of some of the locals last week. He encountered a people who love their sport and are eagerly anticipating a great encounter in Castlebar on Sunday....

http://archives.tcm.ie/westernpeople/2004/07/14/story20596.asp

Actually if you look at the records since Roscommon became a GAA power in the 40s, Ros have held their own with Galway and Mayo in terms of Connacht final wins. It wasn't until the 80s that Mayo took the lead again when looked at from the last 50 years. Galway and Mayo would definitely be the main rivalry but there seems to be an edge to a Mayo v Ros clash because of the Ballagh situation and Mayo's slender lead in the All-Ireland stakes. Galway are really well out ahead of everyone else.

stephenite

Mayo and Galway are the traditional rivlas - but as has been mentioned their battles over the years have been close. But for me, the bigger rivalry is with the Rossies - if we lose to Galway, the attitude appears to be - OK, we'll get them the next time.

But I hate it when we lose to Roscommon - really does my nut in for weeks

Mike Sheehy

QuoteYes Mike, but note that the original quote was in relatin to "recent years".

Armagh, Monaghan ? are these not Ulster counties....pretty sure we've beaten Derry and Fermangh "recently" as well.

QuoteThere can only be real rivalry when the rivals are operating at a similar level, hence the reference to Kerry/Ulster in recent years.

Your right. In hindsight we were pretty poor in 2002-2005. I think we are closer to the finished article now. Its funny though, Ulster always seem to disappear when we have a decent team. Yerra, sure, weren't Down  hiding from us for nearly 25 years !..... then popped up again when the worst team to ever wear the green and gold disgraced us in '91-'92. I have to admit though, ye're very good at the auld smash'n'grab tactics.

amallon

Down v Cavan was the big one in Ulster in the 60's and 70's but its not as big of deal anymore.  Ulsters two most successful counties will still draw the crowd. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

nrico2006

QuoteYour right. In hindsight we were pretty poor in 2002-2005. I think we are closer to the finished article now. Its funny though, Ulster always seem to disappear when we have a decent team. Yerra, sure, weren't Down  hiding from us for nearly 25 years !..... then popped up again when the worst team to ever wear the green and gold disgraced us in '91-'92. I have to admit though, ye're very good at the auld smash'n'grab tactics.

;D ;D ;D

You wouldn't have won the last 2 all-irelands if Tyrone could have put out even 3/4 of their strongest 15!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Surreal Steve

Nrico, that begs the question, what is 3/4 of 15?

Bensars

Tyrone v Derry for me also.  Thats a biased opinion though.  Armagh in recent years, but their bubble has burst, with the price of fuel going up they will be busy enough this summer  ;)

Cork V Kerry

Dublin  V Meath. Dont think anything has matched the trilogy a few years ago.