CONNAUGHT JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP

Started by rocco, May 03, 2008, 12:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StoneWall

Not involved with the Mayo junior setup but it amazes me how people have the blinkers on when it comes to their own players and not getting recognition with a county setup.

There seems to be a North Mayo chip on the shoulder here that players from clubs not getting a fair crack. Numerous players from the area have had reps on the junior setup over the years...Lahardane, Ballycastle, Lacken, Moygownagh, Glenamoy, Killala, Belmullet.

the Deel Rover

No chip on  my shoulder thanks be to god just my opinion . All i said was that i have seen a lot of good footballers both in my own club and in other clubs who i think would be well fit for playing for mayo junior footballers and that haven't been called up for the squad . Can you tell me how the sytem operates at the moment for e.g ? How did Billy Fitz pick the panels in the past ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

StoneWall

I assume the system operates the same as with the senior side in that the management watch club football and call players into panel based on form etc. You better ask Billy Fitz how he picked panels in the past.

The only trials ever I recall at senior level were under Mickey Moran and four divisional teams playing each other. Personally I don't think they are a very reliable guide as each player is only out for themselves. The various divisional boards used to have fun trying to get players to play for the side when they were allowed into the senior championship.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: the Deel Rover on May 09, 2008, 11:09:09 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 09, 2008, 03:44:10 AM

Not sure what ye mean here lads? Are ye suggesting players that haven't played senior club for Ballina or Cross would be good enough to play county junior?

Absolutely Red and Green i have played football all my life with cross and and in fairness to the senior team it can be / was hard to break into the team. i know for a lot of years all of the starting 15 had played for mayo at minor under 21 or senior level, there were a lot of good footballers playing at junior level . look at the year we won the junior championship surely one or 2 of those lads playing were good enough for a place on the county junior squad after all we were county junior champions ?  I guarantee you that if they were called to junior trials they would definately turn up.

I saw yer Junior team play that year in the final against Killala and while it was a good team I think it was down to the fact that it was a well rounded and balanced team, not a team with three or four excellent individuals imho. Michael Gallagher played well that day but don't think he's of the standard, same with Padraig Syron.
I'm sure you'd get some lads to turn up but StoneWall makes a good point about the divisional teams from a few years ago. That was disbanded because of poor levels of interest (maybe North Mayo was an exception).
The Mickey Moran trials saw a lot of lads who were asked to attend not bother turning up either.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Rossfan

Ah jasus Mayoites will ye get over it.Ye're not back in action till next May. Now please let us and Laythrum get on with our Connacht Final - Ros's second CF of 2008 by the way  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shrewdness

A small ray of light for Rossies yesterday. They won the Connacht Junior Title beating Leitrim in the curtain raiser after extra time. I think it finished 2-10 to 0-13.