Dual players

Started by THEREALGRASSROOTS, March 11, 2008, 02:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 16, 2014, 10:24:07 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 16, 2014, 08:50:38 AM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on October 16, 2014, 06:55:31 AM
Quote from: dec on October 15, 2014, 09:29:56 PM
So in Kerry is the Dr Croke's team that are playing in the Club final basically the same team that got knocked out of the County Championship at some point.

Exact same team. Playing the exact same Killarney Legion team that knocked Dr. Crokes out of the County Championship.

Is the gooch back at all? What area of Kerry are Dr Crokes from? Always thought they were Killarney.

Both teams from Killarney

There's a couple of clubs from around Killarney. Crokes would be the biggest at this stage, Legion are a famous old club too, currently making a revival. Spa is also on the outskirts of the town.

twohands!!!

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 16, 2014, 11:28:05 AMThere's a couple of clubs from around Killarney. Crokes would be the biggest at this stage, Legion are a famous old club too, currently making a revival. Spa is also on the outskirts of the town.

I'm pretty sure that Crokes, Legion and Spa are all Killarney parish clubs which means that if you live in Killarney parish you can select which club to play for.

Both Crokes and Legion are historically the Killarney town teams whereas Spa are out the Cork road direction. From what I know neither Legion or Crokes have any particular area of Killarney town where they specifically draw their support from.

I remember asking someone from Kerry about how James O'Donoghue didnt end up playing with Crokes and he said that family connections are a key factor in Killarney and that his family were a Legion family so he was always going to end up there.

AZOffaly

You're right twohands. It's basically a free for all in terms of player commitment. Obviously familial bonds will play a part, hence James O'Donoghue, with his father Mike, going to Legion.

Gooch has played a huge role in recruitment for Crokes apparently. He goes into the schools, and tells the youngsters to join Crokes. Hard for Legion to compete with that up until last year, when James O'D started doing the same thing for Legion. Not sure who does it for Spa, but I'd say most of their players come from that area around the roundabout on the Cork Road.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 17, 2014, 09:11:08 AM
hence James O'Donoghue, with his father Mike,

Diarmuid is his father...

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Ball Hopper on October 17, 2014, 09:45:18 AM

Mike played for Spa - are they even related?
Hasta la victoria siempre

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ball Hopper on October 17, 2014, 09:45:18 AM

Sorry, Diarmuid!!!  Mike plays with the Kerry Juniors I think :) Or at least he did. Won an U21 with Kerry as well back in 2008. You know what I meant though.

Mike Sheehy

You're right twohands. It's basically a free for all in terms of player commitment. Obviously familial bonds will play a part, hence James O'Donoghue, with his father Mike, going to Legion.

Gooch has played a huge role in recruitment for Crokes apparently. He goes into the schools, and tells the youngsters to join Crokes. Hard for Legion to compete with that up until last year, when James O'D started doing the same thing for Legion. Not sure who does it for Spa, but I'd say most of their players come from that area around the roundabout on the Cork Road.

just to complicate things further, some people will compete in athletics (e.g community games) with one club and play football with another !

AZOffaly

Is athletics not town/community based? Like the community games don't feature athletic clubs per se? I thought that was the case anyway. I remember playing Portarlington or someone one time and their team had lads from Gracefield and Port. (There was no other team in community games).

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 17, 2014, 08:37:13 PM
Is athletics not town/community based? Like the community games don't feature athletic clubs per se? I thought that was the case anyway. I remember playing Portarlington or someone one time and their team had lads from Gracefield and Port. (There was no other team in community games).

yes, that is correct.,,but I knew lads in school that ran for Spa and played football for Crokes eventhough Spa also had a football team. They got slagged by everyone over that !

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Ball Hopper on October 14, 2014, 10:32:39 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 14, 2014, 10:01:43 AM
My ynderstanding is that if a divisional team wins the Kerry championship then the winners of their separate club championship goes into the provincial and that would be the winners of Crokes and Legion.

This is correct.  Dr. Crokes play Killarney Legion on Sunday next, Oct 19 in Killarney in the Senior Club Championship final.  The winner of this game will represent Kerry in the Munster Club Championship if Mid-Kerry beat Austin Stacks in County Championship Final a week later.

Big win for Dr. Crokes in Senior Club Final...beat Killarney Legion 4-13 to 1-9.  They will represent Kerry in Munster Club if Mid-Kerry beat Austin Stacks in County Championship final next week.

Only three Dr. Crokes players got on the scoresheet - Kieran O'Leary 1-7, Ambrose O'Donovan 2-1, and Johnny Buckley 1-5.  James O'Donoghue got 1-5 of Legion's scores.

The Gooch did not feature.