Armagh v Dublin - NFL 05/02/11

Started by bennydorano, January 30, 2011, 06:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardchieftain

I agree completely with Tubberman and the wingedlady. Maybe another thread should be started on the subject

I didn't get to any of the mckenna cup games so am genuinely excited about this one. Spent my youth watching and playing games in the Athletic Grounds and it's great to see it back !

mackers

Forgot about Billy Joe Padden, maybe start him instead of Grugan in the HF line and bring Grugan on in the second half when there would be a bit more space for him to use.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Joxer on February 01, 2011, 02:23:56 PM
Any other options in middle of the field?
Mal Mackin?

I'd like to see a physically strong HF line to counter the Dubs attacking from the back - in otherwords workrate over flair. Hence (assuming everyone fit) :

1. McEvoy

2. A Mallon          3. Donaghy          4. Dyas

5. Duffy              6. McKeever        7. Finn Mo

8. Toner
                           9. Lavery

10. CV                  11. MOR            12. BJP

13. B Mallon          14. Swift       15. McDonnelll

If the game opened up a bit I'd throw on Grugan for creativeness, as that FF line may not function well enough. Mallon shows well for the ball and can set up scores, Swift provides an aerial threat and McDonnell combines both those attributes. What are the Dubs likely to line out as?

AFS

See a couple of people leaving Grugan out. Can't see why really. It can't be on performances, he was our most impressive forward in January. It must be for fear that he isn't up to it physically, but if this is  the case why bother with him on the panel at all this year? A fella not fit for a league game isn't going to be much use come the summer. From what I've seen he's worth throwing in and I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't start.

heffo

Where's the best place to go for a pre/post match pint on Saturday lads??

ardchieftain

The Ogs club at the Athletic Grounds should be open i presume ? Hamdiest place for pre match pintage.

border rabbit

Quote from: heffo on February 01, 2011, 05:52:20 PM

The best place to go pre and post match would be Red Ned's, short walk from the ground. A real drinking mans pub and there would be plenty of football people around on Saturday night, and should be good night if you were staying up for the night. And avoid the few bars between the pitch nd Red Ned's  :o

Is there going to be many Dubs coming up? Everyone Im talking to is really looking forward to the match and the banter between the fans. Heres hoping for a good game and good night for the 1st league game at the "new" ground.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: AFS on February 01, 2011, 05:02:19 PM
See a couple of people leaving Grugan out. Can't see why really. It can't be on performances, he was our most impressive forward in January. It must be for fear that he isn't up to it physically, but if this is  the case why bother with him on the panel at all this year? A fella not fit for a league game isn't going to be much use come the summer. From what I've seen he's worth throwing in and I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't start.
Personally I don't see the need to rush him into the starting 15. I saw him twice, against Down and St Mary's. He was impressive in both but probably more v Down. That said it is worth noting Down had a highly experimental defence out and the fella marking him was useless. Against St Mary's he was up against lads more his own age and size. Can't really afford to experiment in Division 1 IMO, would rather see him used sparingly if that makes any sense..

INDIANA

Quote from: border rabbit on February 01, 2011, 09:28:46 PM

The best place to go pre and post match would be Red Ned's, short walk from the ground. A real drinking mans pub and there would be plenty of football people around on Saturday night, and should be good night if you were staying up for the night. And avoid the few bars between the pitch nd Red Ned's  :o

Is there going to be many Dubs coming up? Everyone Im talking to is really looking forward to the match and the banter between the fans. Heres hoping for a good game and good night for the 1st league game at the "new" ground.

Think there will be a serious crowd up mate. Its only up the road. Would love to stay over myself but I cant with club commitments on sunday.
Dublin are down several players on Saturday so I dont see why Armagh fans are so pessimistic.

David McKeown

Quote from: INDIANA on February 01, 2011, 10:54:32 PM
Quote from: border rabbit on February 01, 2011, 09:28:46 PM

Think there will be a serious crowd up mate. Its only up the road. Would love to stay over myself but I cant with club commitments on sunday.
Dublin are down several players on Saturday so I dont see why Armagh fans are so pessimistic.

Simply because of our last two performances or three of our last four more precisely
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

AFS

Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 01, 2011, 10:21:12 PM
Personally I don't see the need to rush him into the starting 15. I saw him twice, against Down and St Mary's. He was impressive in both but probably more v Down. That said it is worth noting Down had a highly experimental defence out and the fella marking him was useless. Against St Mary's he was up against lads more his own age and size. Can't really afford to experiment in Division 1 IMO, would rather see him used sparingly if that makes any sense..

I think this is where we disagree. Given how shite our HF line has been for the last forever, there's a great need to inject something new in there.

I also wouldn't see his inclusion as an experiment. His displays to date have thrown him right into the mix as a genuine option, he's outperformed most alternatives. On ability and form alone he should be a shoo in, but maybe there are justified concerns about his size/ age. There's no better way to test these concerns than giving him football.

DuffleKing

I have high hopes for Grugan too and the twenty mins he produced in the second half against down is hopefully a glimpse of what's to come. He hasn't been great other than that but that applies to everyone. It's a balancing act, introducing young talent to develop them to their optimum. i'd prefer to see him coming on in the earlier league games personally

mackers

Quote from: AFS on February 02, 2011, 09:31:40 AM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 01, 2011, 10:21:12 PM

I think this is where we disagree. Given how shite our HF line has been for the last forever, there's a great need to inject something new in there.

I also wouldn't see his inclusion as an experiment. His displays to date have thrown him right into the mix as a genuine option, he's outperformed most alternatives. On ability and form alone he should be a shoo in, but maybe there are justified concerns about his size/ age. There's no better way to test these concerns than giving him football.
I can see where you're coming from, my issue would be that the Dubs, aside from Cork, are probably the most physical team in the country and I would have a concern putting a young, slight (in inter county terms) lad in against them (not accusing the Dubs of being dirty just really physical).Don't want to get him wrecked in his first outing because I'd want to start him in the majority of our league games.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Santino

Any expats offer any advice if this game will be shown online this wkend, or even for download after?
Cheers in advance!

armaghniac

QuoteAny expats offer any advice if this game will be shown online this wkend,

have you actually checked the Setanta website?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B